Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2007   #21
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE
Default Re: Bye bye Richard Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Before some of you want to throw rocks at Richard Smith, think about what players were on the field.

Check the talent first, then look at the coaching.

We have quality talent on defense.

Still 400 offensive yards?

I did see blitzes today, however.
Old 12-30-2007   #22
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

they also had TOP due to our 2 returns. That puts us a few drives down and kills no time.
Old 12-30-2007   #23
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
We have quality talent on defense.

Still 400 offensive yards?

I did see blitzes today, however.
You are right we do have quality talent on Defense, that is why we are not getting blown out due to the massive holes that we have in the secondary. We have had our 4th string CB starting for a good portion of the season. Richard Smith has done a much better job coaching than most of you guys are giving credit for. The Scheme did not give Matt Jones 150 yds recieving today, Von Hutchins did.

This blame the coaches for everything that goes wrong theme has got to stop it is getting really old and it simply is just not the case. Fikster, just becausea coach admits to making mistakes doesnt make him a bad coach. The good coaches do that. The bad ones stay quiet or blame someone else.

Is Richard Smith a great DC, I dunno, probably not but I think he is better than average at least, and if he can ever get a mostly healthy defense on the field I think we will all see drastic impovements.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #24
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
You are right we do have quality talent on Defense, that is why we are not getting blown out due to the massive holes that we have in the secondary. We have had our 4th string CB starting for a good portion of the season. Richard Smith has done a much better job coaching than most of you guys are giving credit for. The Scheme did not give Matt Jones 150 yds recieving today, Von Hutchins did.

This blame the coaches for everything that goes wrong theme has got to stop it is getting really old and it simply is just not the case. Fikster, just becausea coach admits to making mistakes doesnt make him a bad coach. The good coaches do that. The bad ones stay quiet or blame someone else.

Is Richard Smith a great DC, I dunno, probably not but I think he is better than average at least, and if he can ever get a mostly healthy defense on the field I think we will all see drastic impovements.
Good post! Rep on your way!

This "blame the coaching for everything" schtick is just a convenient way to excuse lack of talent. Especially with the blitzing.

If there were more talent in the secondary, there would be more blitzing.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #25
Ckw

Quote:

This "blame the coaching for everything" schtick is just a convenient way to excuse lack of talent. Especially with the blitzing.

Totally agree. I am sick of the "blame the coaching" thing as well, but do you guys honestly believe Smith is the answer? I mean I personally see guys like Jethro Franklin, Frank Bush, Marciano, and Kubiak all making strides. I just don't see the same from Smith, but maybe I am just biased against him. I really am curious of your views.
Old 12-31-2007   #26
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Before some of you want to throw rocks at Richard Smith, think about what players were on the field.

Nice try but the herd is on a role. Kubes may upgrade. I'll believe it when I see it. Kubiak's one defining strength so far is that he doesn't play to the herd. Hasn't done it yet. Considering the tallent available, I think Smith deserves a raise myself. Lost his lock down corner when ? Middle LB stud has been on one wheel since when ? Okoye kind diapeared on him...yeah it's all the lack of blitzes. Yeah, that's it. That's the ticket.
Old 12-31-2007   #27
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It is not about blame the coaches for everything, it is about placing blame where it belongs. I know I am not the smartest guy here when it comes to football but if I can see where mistakes take place in coaching and schemes then I can bet the other guy across the field damn well can too.

Now granted it maybe talent that dictates why he does not change his blitz calls and do safety blitzes or corner blitzes but I always thought with less talent you change up what you do so the other side can not figure it out, but hey that is just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Marvin Lewis may be available as well.
If Baltimore's Staff gets fired like i think they will then you also have Rex Ryan available.

ya know I had to throw that out there just to
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2007   #28
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
It is not about blame the coaches for everything, it is about placing blame where it belongs. I know I am not the smartest guy here when it comes to football but if I can see where mistakes take place in coaching and schemes then I can bet the other guy across the field damn well can too.

Now granted it maybe talent that dictates why he does not change his blitz calls and do safety blitzes or corner blitzes but I always thought with less talent you change up what you do so the other side can not figure it out, but hey that is just me.

If Baltimore's Staff gets fired like i think they will then you also have Rex Ryan available.

ya know I had to throw that out there just to

Well if Kubes throws him under the bus, he'll be the first one old hoss. Whip yourself up if ya wanna. I don't think Richard Smith is going anywhere. Unless something changes radically the next three weeks, the only guy they'll be looking for is an o-line coach to coach up the youngsters. The Boy moves to OC... same old same old in '08.
Old 12-31-2007   #29
whiskeyrbl

Quote:

My problem with this is our CB's hardly ever play closer than 5-7 yrds on the reciever at the line. There is hardly any contact in the first 5 yards allowing the timing patterns to go as planned. We need to make those recivers fight in the first 5. This may be a result of all the backups that were forced to play, but whatever it is it needs to be addressed IMO.
Old 12-31-2007   #30
Revolution
All Pro

Rep Power: 304 Revolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Rivera isn't coming here. Why would he? He wants to be a head coach and if he has to remain a DC, then he is going to want a lot of money or to go to a top team.
Remain a DC? He is not a DC right now, so I think he will take whatever job he can get.

Having said that, I don't think Smith is going anywhere.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #31
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
My problem with this is our CB's hardly ever play closer than 5-7 yrds on the reciever at the line. There is hardly any contact in the first 5 yards allowing the timing patterns to go as planned. We need to make those recivers fight in the first 5. This may be a result of all the backups that were forced to play, but whatever it is it needs to be addressed IMO.
Why are you, and others, pissing and moaning about Smith having the CBs play the receivers soft?

Let's break this down individually, OK?

Do you really want to see Faggins play tight, bump and run coverage against a receiver?

Do you really want to see Bennett, a rookie, play tight, bump and run coverage against a receiver?

Do you really want to see Von Hutchins play tight, bump and run coverage against a receiver?

Well, that's exactly what they would be doing on blitz packages, exposing their lack of talent. You cry a river when Smith has the CBs give a cushion, and give up the underneath stuff, allowing them the nickle and dime down the field. But I'll take that over 80 yard bombs against CBs who can't cover, any day of the week.

You give Smith better confidence that his CBs can cover their people, then you'll see him take more risks. I'm frankly amazed that Smith blitzes at all given the players in the secondary that he has to work with.

You just don't make up for lack of talent.
Old 12-31-2007   #32
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why are you, and others, pissing and moaning about Smith having the CBs play the receivers soft?

Let's break this down individually, OK?

Do you really want to see Faggins play tight, bump and run coverage against a receiver?

Do you really want to see Bennett, a rookie, play tight, bump and run coverage against a receiver?

Do you really want to see Von Hutchins play tight, bump and run coverage against a receiver?

Well, that's exactly what they would be doing on blitz packages, exposing their lack of talent. You cry a river when Smith has the CBs give a cushion, and give up the underneath stuff, allowing them the nickle and dime down the field. But I'll take that over 80 yard bombs against CBs who can't cover, any day of the week.

You give Smith better confidence that his CBs can cover their people, then you'll see him take more risks. I'm frankly amazed that Smith blitzes at all given the players in the secondary that he has to work with.

You just don't make up for lack of talent.

The offense missed key starters for most of the year yet looked semi-respectable to good.

The defense whether it had all its starters or not is at the bottom of the league.

On offense, you know what they are drafting for because they have a defined philosophy.

On defense, you have no idea what they are drafting for because Richard Smith has no track record of what his sort of defense is supposed to look like other than bad.

I am guessing he is going to stay with the team because he has the excuse that his guys were hurt. But I have to say it was pretty sick seeing a team of Jag backups move the ball on the Texans at will.

Yes, the Texans need more help on the defensive side of the ball. But what is their plan? What kind of guys do they need to run whatever Smith's 4-3 is? To this date, all we know about what Smith wants to do is run an aggressive 4-3.

The Texans are not going to be a position to get physical freaks every draft on defense. At some point, you are going to need a DC who can get young players and fill-in free agents to play together quickly. Where your scheme is easy to learn and impliment in an age of player movement and depending on youth. I haven't seen much of the scheme elevating the players.
Old 12-31-2007   #33
Marcus
Hall of Fame

I keep hearing about "scheme" and how Smith is not using a "scheme", or that he's using the wrong "scheme"?

I'd like to hear you opinions as to what exactly "scheme" is.

Remove my suspicions that "scheme" is a just a convenient, although inaccurate, way to slam him.
Old 12-31-2007   #34
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
The offense missed key starters for most of the year yet looked semi-respectable to good.
The offense also was next to last in turnovers, often putting the defense in an untenable position. I don't see how they are any less responsible (or deserve less credit) for the Texans 8-8 record. The only unit that gave a playoff caliber performance this season was special teams.
Old 12-31-2007   #35
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Marcus- you can see his blitzes coming a mile away. I know Baltimore sucked this year but did you watch their game against NE which they should have won. I would love to see one of Buddy Ryan's kids be the DC of this team. In that game, blitzes and coverage schemes were mixed up beautifully and kept the Patriots as off balanced as I have seen them this year.

I just don't get the sense that RS knows how to maximize the considerable talent we have on D even if we didn't have a banged up secondary. His approach and schemes scream to me "bend don't break" rather than agressive.

I also HATE how much Petey played earlier in the season. That alone should be enough to give him his walking papers. The enormous cushion we give receivers kills me.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #36
Marcus
Hall of Fame

I just wish some of would make up your minds.

You slam Richard Smith for not using the "talent" we have in the secondary the "right" way, or not using correct "scheme" . . .

. . . and then turn around and say we need secondary help in the draft.

Figures.

The "blame the coaching" bandwagon rolls on.
Old 12-31-2007   #37
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Does Richard Smith get any credit for:

1) Mario Williams' improvement?
2) Morlon Greenwood's improvement?
3) Fred Bennett's emergence?
4) Will Demps' surprising performance?
5) DeMeco Ryan's consistently outstanding play?

Maybe not. Maybe, it's the position coaches who deserve all of the praise. But if the Texans go outside of the team for a defensive coordinator, that guy will want to bring in their own guys as defensive assistants. And coaches like Jethro Franklin and Johnny Holland might not be kept.

Maybe the Texans could promote Frank Bush as defensive coordinator, and keep the bulk of assistants intact. But, does anyone know what kind of DC Bush would be? Or what his schemes might look like? Would the Texans be changing for change's sake?

Eventually, this is about what Kubiak wants to see in this defense. It doesn't really matter who the DC is, Kubiak has to express what he wants out of the defense. If it's more blitzing and man coverage, Kubiak has to make that clear. I think when he reviews the tape, changes will be made. But more in regards to the players and the schemes than the coaching staff itself.
Old 12-31-2007   #38
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Come on Marcus, we all know what she's talking about including yourself. I also feel like Richard Smith is possibly in a bit over his head when it comes to how our defense plays. For most of the year we continued to attempt to get pressure with only our front four despite the very real fact that it wasn't working. I would watch DeMeco Ryans do that "pretend he was blitzing" thing four or five times a game every week and never come and think "Who is this fooling?". We've all seen our defensive backs give up huge cushions to literally EVERYBODY like they were all clones of Marvin Harrison and thought "What's up with this?". Maybe if Richard Smith could describe his system (or "scheme") to some of us we might have some idea why we're doing the things we're doing. Maybe he could just go on 610am or something and talk about where we need to get better or what positions we need to upgrade at. All he usually says though is that we're going to be "aggressive". I've heard that over and over again and alone it doesn't mean much to me.

I guess he suffers from some of his history here. We all remember the clown with the army helmet on and when added to some weird decisions I think that makes it hard to think of him as this "wicked-smart" defensive strategist cooking up a can of whoop-ass to spring on Peyton and Vince.

I saw Vic Fangio (Vic-freakin-Fangio) come in here in 2002 and teach his overly complex and confusing system to our expansion draft guys and get a 16 ranking out of them in 2002. I watched Buddy Ryan bring the 46 to Houston and turn Jim Eddy's mess into a well oiled hitting machine in one season. Tony Dungy went to Indianapolis and their defense jumped from 29th to 8th in one year. These guys are all apparently teaching great schemes.

Richard Smith came here and took Fangio's then 31st ranked defense and took it to 24th. This year we look to be finishing around 22nd (Though after we let Jacksonville's reserves kick us around like crazy we're probably going to be back around 24th). We're going in the right direction albeit slowly (and I'm taking the injuries into account, I'm not ignoring that) so he's coming back next year and I'm good with that. I do have concerns though.
Old 12-31-2007   #39
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

The defense whether it had all its starters or not is at the bottom of the league.

On offense, you know what they are drafting for because they have a defined philosophy.

On defense, you have no idea what they are drafting for because Richard Smith has no track record of what his sort of defense is supposed to look like other than bad.

I am guessing he is going to stay with the team because he has the excuse that his guys were hurt. But I have to say it was pretty sick seeing a team of Jag backups move the ball on the Texans at will.

Yes, the Texans need more help on the defensive side of the ball. But what is their plan? What kind of guys do they need to run whatever Smith's 4-3 is? To this date, all we know about what Smith wants to do is run an aggressive 4-3.

The Texans are not going to be a position to get physical freaks every draft on defense. At some point, you are going to need a DC who can get young players and fill-in free agents to play together quickly. Where your scheme is easy to learn and impliment in an age of player movement and depending on youth. I haven't seen much of the scheme elevating the players.
It seems that Mr. Smith gets a free pass every year because of injuries !
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #40
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
It seems that Mr. Smith gets a free pass every year because of injuries !
I find it interesting how the OL can drop its sack numbers drastically despite being injury riddled like the secondary but the defense cant seem to improve drastically in any one area but its all because the secondary has injuries!!!

Can you pro Richard Smith people say that we've improved in any of these areas significantly on defense?

Sacks? Somewhat but outside of Mario its the same old song and dance when it comes to getting sacks.

Takeaways?

Yards allowed?

POINTS ALLOWED?

That's odd, the offense seemed to learn how to put points on the board every so often although they turn the ball over now despite having an injury riddled OL and the starting QB/RB/WR missing significant time. But the defense despite having more high draft picks as well as FA money poured into it cant seem to improve all that much...

Could the scheme have anything to do with this?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read