Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2007   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Bye bye Richard Smith

Hopefully after yet another bend but dont break day our DC will be given his walking papers so we can get a quality DC in here that can let our defense fulfill their potential.

Ron Rivera 08!!!
Old 12-30-2007   #2
fikster
All Pro

Rep Power: 102 fikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bye bye Richard Smith

we better do it quick, i think Rivera will be a commodity this off season. I am all for Rivera or anyone else. Richard Smith is horrible.
fikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #3
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Hopefully after yet another bend but dont break day our DC will be given his walking papers so we can get a quality DC in here that can let our defense fulfill their potential.

Ron Rivera 08!!!
Marvin Lewis may be available as well.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am like you, I am not impressed with our defensive coordinator.

Don't get me wrong, today I loved the win but found myself thinking how is Gray and Jones tearing us up?

then when we got the 21 point lead, I was thinking "how are we not shutting them down with the big lead"

I guess it is because if our pass defense is like that against Jacksonville.. geeze how would it looked against Indy or N.E.?

I must set the bar too high
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #5
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Before some of you want to throw rocks at Richard Smith, think about what players were on the field.

Check the talent first, then look at the coaching.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #6
fikster
All Pro

Rep Power: 102 fikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respected

i am just waiting to see what Kubiak thought of Richard Smith's performance as the DC. That is the million dollar ? If we can add something to our secondary and use the players we already have on the front seven to put pressure on the QB and stop the run, we could be awesome.
Old 12-30-2007   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

When you donít have good corners and safeties, you have to be very careful about committing to an all out rush. As a result, we donít do that often because we just donít have the folks in the defensive backfield to support it. Itís amazing we got as many sacks as we did considering most of the season all we rushed were the four defensive linemen.

I am not defending Smith, Iím just saying until we get some better corners and safeties we have to play with what we have.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2007   #8
fikster
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Before some of you want to throw rocks at Richard Smith, think about what players were on the field.

Check the talent first, then look at the coaching.
with the talent drafted on the front line, a pretty good linebacking core with some coverage faults by Greenwood. bennett looks great at corner as a rook, dunta probably won't be the same ever but still good, our safeties suck. we have plenty of talent on the d side, our scheme just sucks. we don't use our talents appropriately.
Old 12-30-2007   #9
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 13 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Our schemes have been horrible, as has our defense for most of the year. I would settle for just about anyone else other than Richard Smith. I think Rivera would be a good selection. Just about anyone would be an improvement.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

while I agree with that we lack talent and you coach with what you got.

we seem to not disguise well on blitzes
Old 12-30-2007   #11
fikster
All Pro

the more i think about it the more i believe smith has to go. This defense needs to form an identity. They have spent to much money in the drafts on players to not have that. With Mario, Demeco and Amobi locked up for a while, we have to build on that and make this team a defensive juggernaut.
Old 12-30-2007   #12
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Marvin Lewis may be available as well.
I wouldn't be upset with that either. We just need a quality DC that Kubes trusts to run the defense by himself and leaves him alone. Look at the Colts, Dungy got there and kept his hands off the offense because it wasn't broke. Same thing with the Bucs, Gruden got there and let Monte Kiffin continue running the defense with no interruption.

Look at the AFC South coaches:

Dungy

Fisher

Del Rio

Kubiak

Kubiak right now is last on that list because he isn't nearly as experienced at HC than those guys and his assistants aren't near the level of the other 3 guys. Add a quality DC and that coaching gap narrows...
Old 12-30-2007   #13
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Rivera isn't coming here. Why would he? He wants to be a head coach and if he has to remain a DC, then he is going to want a lot of money or to go to a top team.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #14
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikster View Post
with the talent drafted on the front line, a pretty good linebacking core with some coverage faults by Greenwood. bennett looks great at corner as a rook, dunta probably won't be the same ever but still good, our safeties suck. we have plenty of talent on the d side, our scheme just sucks. we don't use our talents appropriately.
Let's see . . this comes from the only one that gave Kubiak an F on the poll.

Gotcha.
Old 12-30-2007   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

You don't disguise well on blitzes when it's hard to disguise lack of talent. I think I'll wait until we have some better players in the backfield before I make a judgement of Smith. He's not going anywhere anyway.
Old 12-30-2007   #16
fikster
All Pro

Quote:
Let's see . . this comes from the only one that gave Kubiak an F on the poll.

Gotcha.
yes sir, you did. the reason for the F's were coaching mistakes he admitted to this season that costs us games.

you did get me though. kudos.
Old 12-30-2007   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
You don't disguise well on blitzes when it's hard to disguise lack of talent. I think I'll wait until we have some better players in the backfield before I make a judgement of Smith. He's not going anywhere anyway.
I doubt he is going anywhere either, but would like to see an upgrade, we have had 2 seasons with him and I haven't been impressed with the schemes.. granted losing almost all of the secondary hurts a team..

I may be knee jerking because i was very frustrated after the subs were doing so well against us today.
Old 12-30-2007   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

I agree with this. We can build on this and advance our scheme next year.

Thing is, IMO, they want to stick with the solid foundation of a defense, not giving up the big play.

We are still not set about the front four. Where the players stand, every single one of them, from Mario, to TJ, Okoye, Weaver, etc.
IMO, it was a good year to find out what they can bring. Then we can tailor our scheme around that next year.

Today was pretty much a scrimmage anyway.
And Thorn also makes a good point.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #19
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 4153 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

I completely agree. One of the things we need to do to be a playoff team next year is to get an elite DC. With a good off-season and draft addressing our secondary and with an elite DC we should have a very salty defense. In my dream world, I would love to see what Bill Belichick could do with our defense. If we have an aggressive smart DC next year we can have a D that can terrorize the league. That with an above average offense will mean legit playoff contender.

Richard Smith is the weakest link, good bye.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #20
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't be suprised if there is no change at DC. I agree with all of you and would prefer we bring in someone new, but Smith may have gotten a pass this year due to all the injuries to the defense.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read