Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2007   #1
fikster
All Pro

Rep Power: 101 fikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respected
Smile Texans RB's for 2008 season-Is Ahman Green Gone?

do you guys think the Texans will cut Ahman Green? I mean Walker looks pretty good and Chris Taylor coming back, what do you guys think about our RB's next year?
fikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #2
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam
Default Re: Texans RB's for 2008 season-Is Ahman Green Gone?

Keep Dayne, Walker, and Taylor. We should keep Green, but only for 4th string purposes. He's done. I would say cut him, but that would be costly given the contract he has. I think Walker and Taylor should get most of the work, with Dayne getting short yardage duties. I think we may have a real star between Walker and Taylor, with just a little work.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I still don't understand what people saw in Chris Taylor. He was on the practice squad for almost all of 06, had one good game against a bad Browns team, and has been injured all of this season and hasn't played a snap. If we go into the season with Darius Walker and Chris Taylor fighting for the RB job, I'm not going to have confidence in our running game. I like what I saw out of Walker, but I would still rather draft a guy

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #4
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118 Sideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Sideline

I think we keep Green, from everything I seem to have heard about the interviews with the people in the know, it does seem like he is back next year.

I don't believe he is done, hes been badly banged up this season, and I still believe he can do a job for us, Alot will depend on where we go FA and Draft but I think they keep him around.
Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #5
fikster
All Pro

Rep Power: 101 fikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respected

kubiak is still of the mindset that you don't draft RB's high. Taylor and Walker both got late season action but should have played earlier in the season, but Kubiak is slow on bringing them up. I don't think we can get any better backs in the draft that we already have on our payroll with Taylor and Walker. I think Green, if he stays, will have a repeat performance of this year.
Old 12-30-2007   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikster View Post
kubiak is still of the mindset that you don't draft RB's high. Taylor and Walker both got late season action but should have played earlier in the season, but Kubiak is slow on bringing them up. I don't think we can get any better backs in the draft that we already have on our payroll with Taylor and Walker. I think Green, if he stays, will have a repeat performance of this year.
Kubiak must've forgotten that mindset when he a) almost drafted Reggie Bush with the 1st overall pick, and b) almost traded back into the first round to draft DeAngelo Williams.

Ahman is gone
We will either draft or sign a stud running back
Dayne will be the backup
Walker and Taylor will fight for the last spot
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #7
fikster
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Kubiak must've forgotten that mindset when he a) almost drafted Reggie Bush with the 1st overall pick, and b) almost traded back into the first round to draft DeAngelo Williams.

Ahman is gone
We will either draft or sign a stud running back
Dayne will be the backup
Walker and Taylor will fight for the last spot
almost. there must have been a reason he didn't pull the trigger on both of those deals. who else is coming out besides possibly McFadden and Jones. Our pick will be somewhere between the 13th and 20th. Another off season acquisition in free agency would put us back where we are.
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2007   #8
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with this. Taylor/Walker/Dayne can get the job done - Green gets 1 more season to contribute. I don't see drafting/acquiring another running back as a high priority. I would much rather see them go after OL's that can open up holes for said group....
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
almost. there must have been a reason he didn't pull the trigger on both of those deals. who else is coming out besides possibly McFadden and Jones. Our pick will be somewhere between the 13th and 20th. Another off season acquisition in free agency would put us back where we are.
We didn't trade up because we were outbid at the last second by Buffalo. There are plenty of good running backs this year in the draft and adding someone like Michael Turner, Julius Jones, or Justin Fargas is not the same as adding an old broken down Ahman Green.
Old 12-30-2007   #10
fikster
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
We didn't trade up because we were outbid at the last second by Buffalo. There are plenty of good running backs this year in the draft and adding someone like Michael Turner, Julius Jones, or Justin Fargas is not the same as adding an old broken down Ahman Green.
i respectfully disagree, although i see your point. i just think those FA's don't offer anything better than what you already have on the roster. Walker or Taylor can offer the same as most of those guys.
Old 12-30-2007   #11
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
i respectfully disagree, although i see your point. i just think those FA's don't offer anything better than what you already have on the roster. Walker or Taylor can offer the same as most of those guys.
What exactly has Taylor done to prove anything? He played in one game against one of the worst defenses in the league. Walker has shown a lot more than Taylor so far.
Old 12-30-2007   #12
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

In the two games Green both started and played significant time (at least, the two that I remember), he proved how good he could be for the team. That was against KC and against Carolina. Unless it is going to cost the Texans almost nil to get rid of him, I think Ahman will be here for training camp. However, I think the Texans are going to be bringing in a lot of guys to compete for a position alongside Ron Dayne. Health matters, and this is clearly Green's major drawback as Kubiak's Texans demand a presence at running back.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

ownership seems satsified with Kubiaks results & will have plenty of funds to:

1). eat Greens contract if so determined
2). give him one more season
3). aquire another FA
4). use at least a late rd. pick on whoever Rick Smith is really high on
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a big Green fan, but if they spend money on FAs for the O line and DBs in the offseason, and use the number 1 and 3 picks on other needs, I can understand him coming back next year.

Not that I expect him to do much, but admitedly he is good when healthy. Which isn't often from my Texans experience. I'd just as soon dump him and go with what we got.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #15
fikster
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I'm not a big Green fan, but if they spend money on FAs for the O line and DBs in the offseason, and use the number 1 and 3 picks on other needs, I can understand him coming back next year.

Not that I expect him to do much, but admitedly he is good when healthy. Which isn't often from my Texans experience. I'd just as soon dump him and go with what we got.
i just think the team has a lot of decisions to make pretty quick about 08. i think we have cap room for next year to get some good free agents.
Old 12-30-2007   #16
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Jonathan Stewart?
Old 12-30-2007   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
Jonathan Stewart?
Stewart & Jones have not yet declared.
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #18
tulexan
Hall of Fame

I've got to think that Stewart is going to declare. Dixon was that entire offense, and they are probably going to be one of the worst teams in the Pac 10 next year.
Old 12-30-2007   #19
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

I think the only way Ahman gets cut is if we sign a FA running back like Turner or Fargas in the offseason. Otherwise Ahman will probably get one more season to contribute before we cut him. You know the Texans could do a lot worse than Green, Dayne, Walker in the backfield.
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #20
checo446
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 checo446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to checo446

Green is gone. His contract was completely front loaded and has almost no cap implications with bonuses. I doubt he will have a job anywhere in the NFL with his knee condition.

Darius Walker to me appears to be a decent change of pace guy and 3rd down back. Chris Taylor deserves a spot to compete in camp for playing time, however, I am not sure how explosive he will be coming off his injury. We need to bring someone in.

Personally, I wouldn't mind us spending our first round pick on a guy like RB Jonathan Stewart. The guy is a perfect fit in size, strength and speed in a zone blocking system. He is like Ron Dayne in size except he can run past anyone and everyone on the field with his 4.4 speed.

Getting a guy later in the draft is also an option or bringing in one of the free agents such as Michael Turner, Fargas, etc. would also be great; however, for me one thing is certain, we can use an upgrade at the position over what is currently on the roster and I hope that Rick Smith and Kubiak actually address it this year.
checo446 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read