Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2007   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bye Bye Jerome Mathis

Have fun with your next team.

AD can run em back, plus play wide receiver.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #2
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bye Bye Jerome Mathis

best re-sign him then as he's a FA after the season
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #3
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82108 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

It would suck to see another team get him. Since he's a FA I'm worried about him walking. I hope he enjoys playing for us and appreciates that the Texans gave him a chance. That might be all we have going for us.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #4
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

I'm not at all worried about Mathis. We've found someone who is better than Mathis was initially, can actually play WR, and can stay healthy. Mathis can go play for someone else, I couldn't care less.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #5
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Davis can do it all...

Deep threat at WR

Gamebreaking KR

Solid special teams gunner

RESIGN HIM!!!
Old 12-30-2007   #6
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

It's been a so so run Jerome but Davis has handed you your walking papers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #7
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
RESIGN HIM!!!
Absolutely! His value definitely went up after today, but fork it up anyway.

Last edited by Marcus; 12-30-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2007   #8
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully there will be goodwill there for helping to get his career back on track.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #9
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

One thought, if Mathis is cheap (not sure and can't be bothered) why not keep him too, see if he can stay healthy and have another deep threat to go with AJ, Walter, JJ, AD?
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
One thought, if Mathis is cheap (not sure and can't be bothered) why not keep him too, see if he can stay healthy and have another deep threat to go with AJ, Walter, JJ, AD?
Because you can only keep 53 players, and you'd better be able to do more than return kicks if you want to be kept as a 5th receiver. And you also can't be injury prone.
Old 12-30-2007   #11
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i, for one, would like it if jerome stays- he was working at getting better.. plus AD hasnt exactly been mr durability either over his career.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

right now Mathis is the odd man out. I don't expect him to be playing for the Texans next season. I do expect him to be picked up by someone after we cut him though.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #13
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
i, for one, would like it if jerome stays- he was working at getting better.. plus AD hasnt exactly been mr durability either over his career.
He withstood some serious licks this year. I definitely hope we resign him but I don't think it happens. We can't offer him a starting job and he's going to want one after all he's accomplished this season.

Also... I factor less overall value for a player who's in a contract year. He's definitely playing harder but is it for the contract? I think so. I'm not saying that he's going to suck but I wouldn't expect him to play as hard as he did this season. I wouldn't throw him a ton of money. Let's set a good solid spending limit for him and if he finds a better deal, so be it.
Old 12-30-2007   #14
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

I wonder if Mathis has any trade value. The injuries certainly hurt.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #15
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118 Sideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Absolutely! His value definitely went up after today, but fork it up anyway.
Yep, Pay the man his money!
Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #16
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was telling my wife the same thing during the game, Mathis is gone. AD has really stepped up his game in special teams and at wide out. We need to re-sign him. We are set at WR if we do.
Old 12-30-2007   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be too quick to jump to a conclusion.
Even as I like AD from the start, he will probably cost twice as much as Mathis.

I hope we can sign them both. We can use all the playmakers available out there.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #18
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

The wide receivers corps is one of the strongest aspects of the Texans. I don't see there being much wiggle room for players, and Mathis' wiggle room was his special teams play.

As for Davis, there is no doubt in my mind Davis will be resigned - he's a guy who's been bouncing around a couple of years now. That type of player wants a steady paycheck and to know where he is going to be hanging his hat at least for the next season or two, JMO. And the Texans FINALLY have somebody who can line up with AJ. After their problems with Moulds, whatever they were, the Texans won't hesitate to keep Davis on the roster.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Obviously, the Texans keep Davis. But, Mathis is a RFA and would bring a 4th round pick if some team signs him to an offer sheet. I think the Texans have to at least tender Mathis at the lowest amount.
Old 12-30-2007   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I would also add, "bye, bye Andre Davis", because its probably too late for us to resign him as his value had been rising on the FA market but after today
he's gonna be priced at a higher number than we may be willing to pay.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read