Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2007   #21
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where do you think the Texans need to improve the most this off season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
suprised this is missed

QUIT TURNING THE BALL OVER!

amazing we are what we are with the am't of turnovers we have
Sorry, think we got caught in player and position upgrades only
Old 12-29-2007   #22
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE
Default Re: Where do you think the Texans need to improve the most this off season?

Well, I think we covered the position improvments rather nicely.

I think the 5th order of business (after OC and DC signings, FA, Draft, and sleep), is they need to improve the TOs by our offense. Or at least somehow try to stop the defense for allowing so many points AFTER the TOs.
Old 12-29-2007   #23
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2051 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Please,
Let's finally do something about that o-line. Let's draft a franchise LT.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #24
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNTLEWOLF View Post
Please,
Let's finally do something about that o-line. Let's draft a franchise LT.

Ding, Ding, Ding!

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #25
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
While I admit our o-line has played better this year then in any other year, I think that if our QB's hadn't been so quick on the draw this year, we would have given up a lot more sacks.

Our best player on the o-line right now is Pitts and he's a journeyman at best. Winston has played well too, but tends to get a lot of false starts penalties called against him and gets pushed back too easily. Salaam is a good back up but isn't starting material. Run blocking is thier strongest suite, but none of the guys could be classified as true road graders. All in all, its easily the weakest part of the team.

With the emergence of Demps at FS and Fred Bennet at Corner, I'm pretty satisfied with our secondary (assuming DRob comes back healthy).

I think our most pressing needs are as follows:
O-Line preferrably left tackle then center
Running back
Outside linebacker
Corner (you can never have too many corners)
If DRob doesn't come back healthy?
Old 12-29-2007   #26
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Will Spencer be back? IF so, just how long do you guys think it will take him to get in the groove?

As for the title of this thread. I feel we need consistency in all area's, esp coaching. Just to many games our guys seemed to be unprepared, and out coached. They (players and coaches) need to get their heads in the game, and quit using the "learning" excuse. JMO!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #27
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Reduce turnovers , stay healthy , upgrade O-line, secondary , RB and faster OLB.
Old 12-29-2007   #28
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take a few more D players with TJs mean streak.

We must stop being everyones' favorite opponent.

Old 12-29-2007   #29
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Will Spencer be back? IF so, just how long do you guys think it will take him to get in the groove?

As for the title of this thread. I feel we need consistency in all area's, esp coaching. Just to many games our guys seemed to be unprepared, and out coached. They (players and coaches) need to get their heads in the game, and quit using the "learning" excuse. JMO!
Agree we are getting out coached and stop making excuses. The AFC is very though and the only way we are going to be able to keep up with the rest of the pack is to get our heads out of our bottoms and into the game.
Old 12-29-2007   #30
gary
Hall of Fame

We are going to need more than Ron D. as a running back because he is an old Vet and if he goes down we're going to be in deep trouble.
Old 12-29-2007   #31
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 74835 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Run blocking is thier strongest suite, but none of the guys could be classified as true road graders.
If you look at how the team has played our pass protection has been pretty good, we haven't conceded many sacks (relative to normal Texans teams), are at the top end of passing offenses and have had far more long ball success than any other time in our history, so I think we are a better pass blocking team especially when you compare it to the mess we had on the ground this year. I would hate to think what the overall ypc stat would look like and while our dearth of RB is a factor a good run blocking team would make up for that to a degree.

I will concur we need to continue/start to build along the lines.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #32
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

What I looked up showed the Texans as one of the worst teams in the NFL for interceptions. The offense gave up 20, and the defense only grabbed 11. They are not going to win without Matt/Sage controlling the ball.

It's obvious they also need a healthy team, though I think the positive side of this year are Bennett and Demps stepping up to the plate. The defensive secondary doesn't look as beleaguered as they did at the start of the year, though they still have one of the worst turn-over rates in the league.

The good news is that this is all stuff that coaching can fix.

The run game, however, can only be impacted with a better running back and a better line. And next to the turn-over ratio, it is the single most crippling area of the Texans' game. I suspect that having Kubiak in sole control of the offense (I'm assuming either he will double as OC or Kyle Shanahan will be upgraded) will give the team the unified vision Kubiak has wanted. That will help, but having a healthy running back will help more.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #33
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 220522 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
If Spencer makes it back, I don't think that he's going to be able to regain the quickness of foot he needs to play LT. I'd expect him to move inside to guard.

We're going to have a surplus of guards with Weary, Pitts, Studdard, Brisiel, and possibly Spencer and McKinney.

I don't expect Flanagan to stick at center and I don't know about White or McKinney. So I think that's the most important position we need to address.

On the outside, Winston played well through the season and I think he's got the Right Tackle spot. I don't know about Frye or Butler. I don't want to go through another season with Salaam stuck out at the left tackle position. I like him as a backup but I don't want him starting any more. To me, the situation on the left side is the second most important we need to take care of but I'm more concerned about the center.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #34
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

To me there are 4 areas that need to be "upgraded" on this team before we will start making a serious run for the playoffs. And, although Smith & Kubes are good at finding 2nd day gems in the draft, I'm still not sure if we will be able to "upgrade" at all those areas this year. Some of it will depend on what we find in FA this coming year.

OL has to be at the top of the list. I know their sack numbers are down this year, and that's good, but some of that credit has to go to Schaub and Sage for getting rid of the ball quicker. Also, the age of Salaam, McKinney and Flanagan have to be a concern, plus the injuries to Spencer, Weary and McKinney. They have done a good job the past 2 years considering what they have gone through, but if we are going to compete for a championship, we have to addrees this area 1st, and the best place to start is with a LT in the 1st round.

RB is the next area of need. I don't know at this point if Kubes/Smith will take a chance on Green coming back or just cut him and move on. Kubes was burned by the DD/W injury and I don't think he will be willing to take a chance again. They will probably have him come back next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they draft a RB, even in the 1st round.

CB/S is still an area of need too, even with Demps and Bennett stepping up. I don't think Dunta will be back next year, and I'm not sure of the other CB/S injuries, but we still need help in both those areas. This might be an area addressed in FA, but I still look for them to pick at least 1 CB/S in the Draft, maybe in the 3rd or 4th round.

The last area of need is a speedy DE to complement Mario. I'm not sure if Weaver has 1 or 2 more years on his contract, but I think they will try to "upgrade" this spot in the Draft in 08 or 09 or possibly through FA this coming year. Either way, I don't think Weaver will be around much longer, unless he's a backup.

I know there are other areas that some think maybe more important to "upgrade", but these are the areas I think need it most for us to contend for a playoff spot and championship. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #35
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
To me there are 4 areas that need to be "upgraded" on this team before we will start making a serious run for the playoffs. And, although Smith & Kubes are good at finding 2nd day gems in the draft, I'm still not sure if we will be able to "upgrade" at all those areas this year. Some of it will depend on what we find in FA this coming year.

OL has to be at the top of the list. I know their sack numbers are down this year, and that's good, but some of that credit has to go to Schaub and Sage for getting rid of the ball quicker. Also, the age of Salaam, McKinney and Flanagan have to be a concern, plus the injuries to Spencer, Weary and McKinney. They have done a good job the past 2 years considering what they have gone through, but if we are going to compete for a championship, we have to addrees this area 1st, and the best place to start is with a LT in the 1st round.

RB is the next area of need. I don't know at this point if Kubes/Smith will take a chance on Green coming back or just cut him and move on. Kubes was burned by the DD/W injury and I don't think he will be willing to take a chance again. They will probably have him come back next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they draft a RB, even in the 1st round.

CB/S is still an area of need too, even with Demps and Bennett stepping up. I don't think Dunta will be back next year, and I'm not sure of the other CB/S injuries, but we still need help in both those areas. This might be an area addressed in FA, but I still look for them to pick at least 1 CB/S in the Draft, maybe in the 3rd or 4th round.

The last area of need is a speedy DE to complement Mario. I'm not sure if Weaver has 1 or 2 more years on his contract, but I think they will try to "upgrade" this spot in the Draft in 08 or 09 or possibly through FA this coming year. Either way, I don't think Weaver will be around much longer, unless he's a backup.

I know there are other areas that some think maybe more important to "upgrade", but these are the areas I think need it most for us to contend for a playoff spot and championship. JMHO!
Man, you should write for the Chronicle. Your analysis is well reasoned and well written. Personally, I would move your running back section down below the section on the secondary. Regardless, your conclusions are spot on.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #36
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If Spencer makes it back, I don't think that he's going to be able to regain the quickness of foot he needs to play LT. I'd expect him to move inside to guard.

We're going to have a surplus of guards with Weary, Pitts, Studdard, Brisiel, and possibly Spencer and McKinney.

I don't expect Flanagan to stick at center and I don't know about White or McKinney. So I think that's the most important position we need to address.

On the outside, Winston played well through the season and I think he's got the Right Tackle spot. I don't know about Frye or Butler. I don't want to go through another season with Salaam stuck out at the left tackle position. I like him as a backup but I don't want him starting any more. To me, the situation on the left side is the second most important we need to take care of but I'm more concerned about the center.

This is an area (Center) that I have a concern with also. I don't know if you heard, and I'm not sure where or how he will fit, but the Texans signed Greg Eslinger to their PS. Eslinger was a 6th round pick of the Broncos in 2006 and has been on their PS up until the Browns nabbed him in Nov 2007, and then released him on Dec 12th. We picked him up on Dec 19th. With a little experience, this guy could be a long term solution here for us. He played at Minnesota and won the Outland and Rimington Trophies in 2005. He's listed as 6'3", 292 lbs. Not sure if he's the answer for us, but it sure doesn't hurt having him here. JMHO!
Old 12-29-2007   #37
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
Man, you should write for the Chronicle. Your analysis is well reasoned and well written. Personally, I would move your running back section down below the section on the secondary. Regardless, your conclusions are spot on.
Thanks!
Old 12-29-2007   #38
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

We need to improve our luck first and foremost.

After that, we need to look at our weaknesses and how they trickle down to our L's. If we look at our secondary, Bennett and Demps have been surprises this year, so they will be counted on next year. Robinson, if healthy, should be able to hold his own on one side of the field as well. I think many people are forgetting that Earl is coming back. Yes, Faggins and Brown are not guys we want playing, but Earl is a pretty solid SS. Factor in Boluware when we stack 8 in the box, and I think we are ok without a high pick in the secondary unless it just happens to be BPA with no similar talent at a position of greater need.

Yes, LT is still a huge, gaping hole for our team after our 6th season, but the position I am more concerned about is C. I am really hoping that the Arkansas C declares early (not likely, but I can dream) as he is the best C in college football. Assuming that doesn't happen, Justice and Mack would be very good picks for our team, and would even allow us to trade out of the first most likely to pick up a first next year and a second this year.

We need a RB, but we need to be careful in who we select or sign. I am 100% against signing Turner. I am, however, highly in favor of drafting Mendenhall.

We still do need a LT, so that is also a major need. I wouldn't mind someone like Barry Richardson or Alex Boone, but I sure as hell would love to land Clady or Baker. We don't need to even bother looking to upgrade this through FA. We will end up with a Todd Wade. Nobody lets a LT who can still play well just walk.

We also need an upgrade at OLB. However, I think we can get by with depth/late round picks until next year when it is more pressing.

We need, IMO in this order: C, RB/LT*, OLB

*RB/LT means that it is dependent completely on how the draft shakes out as to which is upgraded first. Neither of those positions should be signed through FA, they are best drafted.
Old 12-29-2007   #39
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
We need to improve our luck first and foremost.

We need, IMO in this order: C, RB/LT*, OLB

*RB/LT means that it is dependent completely on how the draft shakes out as to which is upgraded first. Neither of those positions should be signed through FA, they are best drafted.
Sam Baker is the 1st rd. draft pick if he's there.

would like to see the Texans move up into the 2nd rd. (via trading a current player of worth off the roster in a position of strength like DL/KR) to address the Center position & get the top prospect available who fits Kubiaks system (Justice, Mack is staying in school). then bpa second day, DB, LB, OG, RB.

access all the IR players, resign as needed accordingly or release. then pick up one or two key free agents, but keeping next years ability to make bigger splash in FA in play
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #40
gary
Hall of Fame

How do you all feel about making Sage the starter and MS as the back up?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read