Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-28-2007   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Where do you think the Texans need to improve the most this off season?

What are you're thoughts?
Old 12-28-2007   #2
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82
Default Re: Where do you think the Texans need to improve the most this off season?

The win column preferably.

Right now: RB (first-round), FS, LT, no more Injury Bowls!

There's only room for one avatar in this town...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #3
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where do you think the Texans need to improve the most this off season?

Improve field wise?
Old 12-28-2007   #4
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
The win column preferably.

I don't think we'll be getting a RB in the first round, but what do I know? Personally I think we need an O lineman in the first round, a defensive back in the 3rd round, and if we didn't pick up a RB in FA, the best of the left overs in the 4th round.

I know we need a good RB, we really do. But we have to fix the O line and the defensive backs first. What we have for RBs right now will be somewhat less than serviceable for next year, but with a good O line, they'll keep the opposing defenses a little honest. Maybe.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #5
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

I don't think we'll be getting a RB in the first round, but what do I know? Personally I think we need an O lineman in the first round, a defensive back in the 3rd round, and if we didn't pick up a RB in FA, the best of the left overs in the 4th round.

I know we need a good RB, we really do. But we have to fix the O line and the defensive backs first. What we have for RBs right now will be somewhat less than serviceable for next year, but with a good O line, they'll keep the opposing defenses a little honest. Maybe.
Agree the top the on my list are the O line, RB's, and the back field.
Old 12-28-2007   #6
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hoping secondary, but thinking OL.
Old 12-28-2007   #7
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

OLT in the 1st
C in the 3rd
DB in the 4th
Old 12-28-2007   #8
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I'm hoping secondary, but thinking OL.
The seconddary needs it bad IMO.
Old 12-28-2007   #9
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll give the same answer I gave last year...OL. DC was but part of (larger part) this mess. Let's give MS the time he needs and our backs some better holes.
Old 12-28-2007   #10
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
I'll give the same answer I gave last year...OL. DC was but part of (larger part) this mess. Let's give MS the time he needs and our backs some better holes.
Along with the SD.
Old 12-28-2007   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

After six futile seasons, the priority has to be an offensive line. Through FA and the draft, it cannot be relegated to hope that our journeymen can just be good enough.

When you look around the league at the great and elite teams, they all have one thing in common: a great offensive line. And visa versa for the mediocre to bad teams. They tend to have very inconsistent lines.

If we simply fail to protect our huge investment at QB, then it is pointless to even bring him here. And without a consistent line, the coveted running game will never get off the ground.

I'd like to see some defensive backs and possibly a RB added, but that line has to be addressed as the priority this off-season, IMO.
Old 12-28-2007   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
After six futile seasons, the priority has to be an offensive line. Through FA and the draft, it cannot be relegated to hope that our journeymen can just be good enough.

When you look around the league at the great and elite teams, they all have one thing in common: a great offensive line. And visa versa for the mediocre to bad teams. They tend to have very inconsistent lines.

If we simply fail to protect our huge investment at QB, then it is pointless to even bring him here. And without a consistent line, the coveted running game will never get off the ground.

I'd like to see some defensive backs and possibly a RB added, but that line has to be addressed as the priority this off-season, IMO.
They played pretty well this year considering all the injuryies they've had.

Last edited by gary; 12-28-2007 at 08:36 PM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After six futile seasons, the priority has to be an offensive line.
I tried giving you a rep for this, but I am told I can't becuase I have to spread more around. In any case, you are right. Very Right. I can't even being to mention how right you are. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Easily has to be the offensive line. I think if they are injuring QB's then they need to go ahead and get revamped. Too many injuries not to try to get more bodies.

Defensive backfield has to be really close right behind the Oline. With the emergence of Fred Bennett and Will Demps this need barely gets put behind the offensive line, but the need is still there. It's obvious that C.C. Brown is not really a great SS, and that we need some depth at CB.

After that it gets a little easier, I think we should get an RB and then an OLB. Both are positions of need, and the only reason RB is not in the same echelon of need as the Oline and DB's is because we have Ahman Green, and if he doesn't get cut this offseason (Which I don't think will happen), then we probably aren't going to try really hard to land any big name RB's. OLB is a need because as good as we want our defense to be, we can't let teams run Joseph Addai, Maurice Jones-Drew, and LenDale White all over us like we did this year. We know DeMeco is good, and I really just am not sold on how good Morlon Greenwood is. He's had 2 or 3 really good games this year, and has been pretty much a phantom the rest of the year.

After that I wouldn't mind seeing us draft a DE that's just speedy and quick. I would not be surprised to see this happen, and I wouldn't be mad about it at all.
Old 12-28-2007   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
They played pretty well this year considering all the injuryies they've had.
It's all relative, I suppose. Sub-.500 ball is never all that well in my book.

Our line has never dominated. We find successful plays in spite of the patchwork line, but it's not something we can count on in the way of being consistent. And consistency is the key in implementing a game plan, be it run or pass oriented.

We need quality depth to make up for injuries, and a career LT is still as elusive as ever for this franchise (Boselli curse?).
Old 12-28-2007   #16
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I think we need to improve our Co-Ordinators positions first.
Old 12-28-2007   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It's all relative, I suppose. Sub-.500 ball is never all that well in my book.

Our line has never dominated. We find successful plays in spite of the patchwork line, but it's not something we can count on in the way of being consistent. And consistency is the key in implementing a game plan, be it run or pass oriented.

We need quality depth to make up for injuries, and a career LT is still as elusive as ever for this franchise (Boselli curse?).
Agree that's why I said considering.
Old 12-29-2007   #18
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

While I admit our o-line has played better this year then in any other year, I think that if our QB's hadn't been so quick on the draw this year, we would have given up a lot more sacks.

Our best player on the o-line right now is Pitts and he's a journeyman at best. Winston has played well too, but tends to get a lot of false starts penalties called against him and gets pushed back too easily. Salaam is a good back up but isn't starting material. Run blocking is thier strongest suite, but none of the guys could be classified as true road graders. All in all, its easily the weakest part of the team.

With the emergence of Demps at FS and Fred Bennet at Corner, I'm pretty satisfied with our secondary (assuming DRob comes back healthy).

I think our most pressing needs are as follows:
O-Line preferrably left tackle then center
Running back
Outside linebacker
Corner (you can never have too many corners)
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

suprised this is missed

QUIT TURNING THE BALL OVER!

amazing we are what we are with the am't of turnovers we have
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

A ball hawk. Someone in the secondary who will punish you for a poorly thrown ball. We miss too many easy Ints its pathetic. Oh, and while we are on the subject, a side line to side line LBer. Outside of Ryans, we have no one who will make a play out of our LB corp.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read