Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-28-2007   #1
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38657 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Aggie Yell Leader: Paterno On His Deathbed

An Aggie Yell Leader incited the crowd at the Arneson River Theatre with comments about Penn State's head coach.
http://www.ksat.com/video/14935573/index.html
Old 12-28-2007   #2
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Aggie Yell Leader: Paterno On His Deathbed

he was sent home already. really a bad joke with poor taste, but nothing else to it IMO.
Old 12-29-2007   #3
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Extremely poor taste which further questions the training of these "traditions."
Old 12-29-2007   #4
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Stick to yells and leave the stand up to the professionals. The kid should have realized there's a line between (bad) humor and insult.

I'm guessing that the discipline won't end with him being 'sent home.' I think a personal apology from the kid to Paterno is in order. There were people who were quite shocked at the remarks, especially in the context of the setting, i.e., public mixed rally. I can see 'joking around' comments like this between a small group of friends at a tailgate but not this.

That said, some people will always want to get on their pedestals and make more out of this than what it deserves. Paterno had the right attitude about it. Something to the effect of "whatever ... some young guy trying [very unsuccessfully] to be funny." Move on and play the game.

Last edited by aj.; 12-29-2007 at 09:57 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #5
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
That said, some people will always want to get on their pedestals and make more out of this than what it deserves. Paterno had the right attitude about it. Something to the effect of "whatever ... some young guy trying [very unsuccessfully] to be funny." Move on and play the game.
see post 3 in this thread.
Old 12-29-2007   #6
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
see post 3 in this thread.
Come on now... we all knew that KT would be here sooner rather than later.
Old 12-30-2007   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

So you are all saying that it was in good taste and that being reactive in dismissing kids is the correct action?

No pedestal here, only logic in asking to not put kids in a position to fail while executing tradition. This blind Aggie Altruism used as a defensive countermesure makes it difficult for folks to warm up to a large part of Aggie nation.

Bonfire, swords, goalposts and this attempt at humor shows that some front end training, under adult supervision, needs to be addressed. Heck maybe training the trainers would be helpful as well.
Old 12-30-2007   #8
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
So you are all saying that it was in good taste and that being reactive in dismissing kids is the correct action?

No pedestal here, only logic in asking to not put kids in a position to fail while executing tradition. This blind Aggie Altruism used as a defensive countermesure makes it difficult for folks to warm up to a large part of Aggie nation.

Bonfire, swords, goalposts and this attempt at humor shows that some front end training, under adult supervision, needs to be addressed. Heck maybe training the trainers would be helpful as well.
Kaiser,
I cannot pretend to speak on behalf of all Aggie Faithful, but I simply have to believe, knowing what I know of Aggies, and as an Aggie myself, that we do not condone or endorse this behavior. The kid (and he is a kid) got carried away and crossed the line. It is not representative of the majority, and I would hope is not representative of the young man in general. (I do not know him, so I cannot say with certainty.)

A personal apology from him to Joe Pa is in order, and I fully believe will happen.

Swords. 1984. And it was an ***** move. 23 years is a long time between ***** moves.

(Bonfire NOT being an ***** move, but a tragic accident. Yes, engineering oversight is a start. I will just stop there.)

Goalposts. You will need to take that up with the Tech fans, since they were the ones to shove their own goalpost into our fan section. As I recall, several folks were injured and a few hospitalized. I would challenge anyone to come forward with a similar example of how Aggies treat visitors to College Station. It simply would not abide. Aggies would not tolerate it.

Let's not make this one incident, by an overzealous young man who happens to be in the public eye and who most certainly was in the wrong, into something it is absolutely not: an indication of some systemic behavioral problem in Aggieland.

All the best,
Rick
c/o 1990
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #9
Ckw

I don't really care to listen to it. So what exactly did he say? That A&M should beat Penn State since they have a coach on his death bed? Maybe I simply don't have any respect for the elderly but if that's all he said, I have no problem with his comment. I don't condone it, and personally would be intelligent enough not to say it. I just think everyone is always looking for something to get their panties in a bunch over. People are too sensitive. It's a game and smack talk is involved. It's part of what makes it fun. Just my opinion.
Old 12-30-2007   #10
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't offended by anything they said, I was more offended by their flaunting their lifestyle. If you want to be gay that is fine, but let's not demonstrate manlove in public like that. Things like that are actually disturbing to most straight males.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #11
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I wasn't offended by anything they said, I was more offended by their flaunting their lifestyle. If you want to be gay that is fine, but let's not demonstrate manlove in public like that. Things like that are actually disturbing to most straight males.
This coming from a t-sip. Oh the irony...
Old 12-31-2007   #12
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
This coming from a t-sip. Oh the irony...
Say what you want but in Austin you have to walk into a place like Oilcan Harry's on 4th to see something like that.
Old 12-31-2007   #13
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Say what you want but in Austin you have to walk into a place like Oilcan Harry's on 4th to see something like that.
Kev,
So you KNOW where Oilcan Harry's is, eh? (j/k)

Rick
Old 12-31-2007   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Paterno's response:

Quote:
I think everybody has to take things with a grain of salt," Paterno said. "Some young guy went up there, trying to be funny. Maybe he's accurate, I don't know."

"I honestly didn't hear it, and I don't particularly care about it. Sticks and stones will break your bones but names will never hurt you."
Although the original comments did not sit well with me, I think if the person that it was intended for (Paterno) is not offended then everyone else should back off...
Old 12-31-2007   #15
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Paterno's response:

Although the original comments did not sit well with me, I think if the person that it was intended for (Paterno) is not offended then everyone else should back off...
I agree with you, Bill. My long-winded response probably could have been shortened to my last simple statement about not making sweeping stereotypes. I thought I sensed this taking a wholly inappropriate trajectory, so I wanted to nip it in the bud with my earlier response. There I go, saving the world, one message board thread at a time. ha-ha.

Anyway...

all the best,
rick
Old 12-31-2007   #16
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
Kev,
So you KNOW where Oilcan Harry's is, eh? (j/k)

Rick
My 2 favorite pubs in Austin are right across the street (Fado's and Gingerman). We occasionally sit on the patio of Fado's or Gingerman. Since the patio is facing across the street you can't help but see guys like those in that Aggie video lining up to get into Oilcan's. It can be quite the freak show on some nights.
Old 12-31-2007   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My 2 favorite pubs in Austin are right across the street (Fado's and Gingerman)..
A likely story....
Old 12-31-2007   #18
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Paterno's response:

I think everybody has to take things with a grain of salt," Paterno said. "Some young guy went up there, trying to be funny. Maybe he's accurate, I don't know."

"I honestly didn't hear it, and I don't particularly care about it. Sticks and stones will break your bones but names will never hurt you."
I'll say this; JoePa is a class act all the way around. I really like that he made his team clean up the stadium after the problems they had in the off season.

As far as the Aggies and our traditions, its like riding a Harley Davidson, you don't understand and can't explain it. Further, no amount of training would have helped the Yell Leader. You can't train away youth and inexperience.

Hagar '96
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Further, no amount of training would have helped the Yell Leader. You can't train away youth and inexperience.

Hagar '96
That is my point. Have a training for any club or tradition so this all goes back to youthful exuberance and does not fall on the school.

UT Fan who married an Aggie and contributes money to the Aggies every year '97
Old 12-31-2007   #20
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Further, no amount of training would have helped the Yell Leader. You can't train away youth and inexperience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
That is my point. Have a training for any club or tradition so this all goes back to youthful exuberance and does not fall on the school.
So, if you can't train away youth and inexperience, then I don't understand your point. Do away with the traditions? That's part of what makes A&M great.

PS: Thanks for the donation!
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read