Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-28-2007   #1
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I know we're playing the Jaguars this week but....

I must confess that the Colts are still on my mind.

I was just looking at the Texans scores and standings against various other teams and the (current) 6-5 record against the Jags isn't that far off of what we are like against much of the NFL.

We're 3-0 against the Raiders and Dolphins, 2-0 against the Panthers. We've beaten the Bears and Cardinals once each.

We're .500 against the Falcons, Cowboys, Broncos, Saints, Giants, Steelers, Bucs, and Chiefs.

We're under .500 but have at least posted wins against the Browns and Bills.

To date we're winless against the Ravens, Bengals, Lions, Packers, Vikings, Patriots, Jets, Eagles, Chargers, 49ers, Seahawks, Rams, and Redskins. Six of those teams we've only played once so take that for what it's worth. Three of them have beaten us three straight times (Bengals, Jets, and Chargers).

You look at our overall record right now against everybody and you see that the Texans are 31-64 since starting up. That's decidedly not good.

But then factor in that 21 of those losses are against the Titans and Colts and apart from those two teams just owning our butts (And they have) we're 31-43.

Now that's nothing to be proud of but it's a damned sight closer to what you would expect for a teams first 6 years of existence. Those two teams have just steadily kicked the snot out of us. If we weren't facing them twice a year, every year things might not look as bad as they do.

At this point I'm not taking any opponent for granted (how can a fan of a team that's never posted a winning record ever take any opponent for granted?) but I have to say that the only wins I truly crave are wins against the Colts and the Titans. The Texans fortunes against those two teams must change if this team is ever going to become anything. Like a Texas fan who only cares about what happens against Oklahoma or an Aggie who spends all year looking forward to the "TU game" I no longer worry about the rest of the games. If the Texans can ever reach a stage where they can handle the Colts and Titans I think the rest of it will all take care of itself.
Old 12-28-2007   #2
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam
Default Re: I know we're playing the Jaguars this week but....

Well, there was that season that we swept both Jacksonville and Tennesee...things didn't exactly work out well then either. I do see what your saying, however. Living in Austin, there is nothing that hurts more as a Texans fan than being swept by the Titans. It also sucks that we are on pace for 0-6 in the division. That's really painful.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #3
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

If you take out our losses against those 2 teams, you have to take out our wins too. (However few there may be.)
Old 12-28-2007   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
If you take out our losses against those 2 teams, you have to take out our wins too. (However few there may be.)
Well, so far this season, we're 7-3 against everyone not in our division.

Last year, we finished 3-3 in our division as opposed to 0-5 so far this year.

Doing well in your division doesn't automatically mean that you make the playoffs, but in our case, not doing well in our division ruined our changes to make the playoffs.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Doing well in your division doesn't automatically mean that you make the playoffs, but in our case, not doing well in our division ruined our changes to make the playoffs.
If we don't get the players to deal with our division teams, we will never go anywhere. I think Indy and Jacksonville will be just as strong next year, and more than likely so will the Titans. Which means we have to seriously improve ourselves this offseason just to make 8-8 or 9-7 and still miss the playoffs.

This offseason will be even more interesting than the last one, I'm certain of it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #6
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
If we don't get the players to deal with our division teams, we will never go anywhere. I think Indy and Jacksonville will be just as strong next year, and more than likely so will the Titans. Which means we have to seriously improve ourselves this offseason just to make 8-8 or 9-7 and still miss the playoffs.

This offseason will be even more interesting than the last one, I'm certain of it.
Yep, that's the consequences of being part of the toughest division in Pro Football!
Old 12-28-2007   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

id dont see the tacks continuing their stranglehold over us...however, the colts will always be tough nut until AM (after manning )
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2007   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

EHHHHH. . .

I can see the Titans losing possibly Haynesworth (this is a Bud Adams owned football team we are talking about here) and their defensive line returning back to normal next year. I could see Young regressing more and more, and the whole not having an offense thing really catching up to them.

As for the Jags, next season will be a real eye opener as to how Garrard does in his Sophmore year of starting. They've always been a Jekyll and Hyde sort of team and they could just as easily fall down a little bit (Like they did last year maybe?).

You are right about this coming offseason shaping up to be quite interesting.
Old 12-28-2007   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

At some point, the Colts or Tacks have to have a season with 15-18 players on IR, right? It can't just continually happen to us, right?

Old 12-28-2007   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
At some point, the Colts or Tacks have to have a season with 15-18 players on IR, right? It can't just continually happen to us, right?

One would think that would be so.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #11
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Good stats. I never considered the overall record minus Tennessee and Indy.....

One other stat is that if the Texans win tomorrow, they will have a "perfect" 1:2 ratio (32-64) in wins and losses in the first 6 years - a .333 win percentage.
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
Not really. I don't think we should take those losses out and call everything fine. I know it all comes together. My point was really just about the unbelievable number of butt kickings we've had hung on us by just those two teams. 21 smack downs in 6 years is just outlandish dominance and way out of line with how we've done against the rest of the league (I think).
Old 12-29-2007   #13
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Not only are they not beating Tennessee and Indy, they're not beating the good teams period.

Against teams that finished the season with a .500 or better record, the Texans are 10-46 (.178). (56 games)

Against teams with a losing record, the Texans are 21-18 (.538) (39 games)

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #14
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Not only are they not beating Tennessee and Indy, they're not beating the good teams period.

Against teams that finished the season with a .500 or better record, the Texans are 10-46 (.178). (56 games)

Against teams with a losing record, the Texans are 21-18 (.538) (39 games)
probably because we've been a bad team since our existence
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007   #15
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
To date we're winless against the Ravens, Bengals, Lions, Packers, Vikings, Patriots, Jets, Eagles, Chargers, 49ers, Seahawks, Rams, and Redskins. Six of those teams we've only played once so take that for what it's worth. Three of them have beaten us three straight times (Bengals, Jets, and Chargers).
There were two teams the Houston Oilers never beat, the New York Giants and the Philadelphia Eagles. The Houston Texans have beaten the Giants but are winless against the Eagles. Simply put, Houston has never beaten the Eagles,...ever.

The Texans will get their next chance against the Eagles in 3 more seasons. I hope we'll be ready to beat them by then.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #16
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

We've been iggled.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read