Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-23-2007   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 80689 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Thoughts.

Stop reading this if you don't want an honest acessment.

Sage doesn't have it. He has been missing receivers the entire time he's been in the game. Against sub par teams that doesn't show up. How many people have referred to high and behind before?

Ok enough on Sage.

Our secondary isn't fixed. They have looked better against teams with 1 decent receiver and a few below average QBs. Demps is nice sure, but he can't be your best or second best player back there if you want to compete for playoff spots.

I'm going to make a suggestion. Can we go sign someone to take the beating next week? I think that in the face of a formidable pass rush our line is going to go back to its turnstile ways. Jacksonville has more sacks than anyone we've played this year.

We're better than we looked today. One of the intangible problems with this team for quite some time (read since the beginning) has been their inability to recover from bad breaks. That call against TJ today. HORRIBLE. Its football. It happens. But all too often this team shoots themselves in the foot and is unable to recover. Guess what. It happened today. From that TJ penalty on we were in flames.

I've long hated visors. Clear or tinted. I have to wonder however, that pass that hit daniels in the shoulder/helmet... it looked like he lost track of it. Anyone else think it was glare from the visor? I hate the tinted ones too but because I think they give the player wearing them an advantage. I know medical reasons only yeah right.

Briggs is a freeagent. I know he's a "cover-2" type LB. But is there a posibility we can land him? He seems to have speed and make tackles.

I'm really torn on Turner. As much as I want to go get him, I think we may be a few years away from making a serious run. RBs probably have the shortest lifespan of any one position in the league. When he turns 30 (in 5 years) are we going to be in the middle of a run? Yeah. Lets get him.

Did I mention I don't think Sage is the answer. What about the secondary. Oh yeah. Left Tackle. Find one.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Nice defensive post trying to label ahead of time anyone who doesn't agree as not wanting an honest assessment. Kind of like folks who say, "well that movie was really good, but it is probably too intellectual for most people." Just a cheap rhetorical device for quelling any differing opinion.

Quote:
Sage doesn't have it. He has been missing receivers the entire time he's been in the game.
Agreed he is certainly no more accurate than Schaub.

Quote:
Jacksonville has more sacks than anyone we've played this year.
The Titans have more sacks than anyone else we have played and in addition to the three games against them and Jax we have played three other teams in the top half of the league in sacks.

Quote:
When he turns 30 (in 5 years) are we going to be in the middle of a run? Yeah. Lets get him.
I don't care particularly about Turner but this is not realistic--5 years is an eternity in the NFL. If they aren't making a run by then, they will be on a third coaching staff. Owners, coaches and GM's don't plan for success half a decade down the line, they are looking for improvement this year and the next.
Old 12-23-2007   #3
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 80689 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Nice defensive post trying to label ahead of time anyone who doesn't agree as not wanting an honest assessment. Kind of like folks who say, "well that movie was really good, but it is probably too intellectual for most people." Just a cheap rhetorical device for quelling any differing opinion.
This stems from me being the board "Debbie Downer" I talked to Specknatz about it at the game and typically say something like this because several out there think I'm suffering from severe depression. I welcome discussion. I love it. If noone disagreed with me then who would I be able to correct? (my designated joke smiley)

Agreed he is certainly no more accurate than Schaub.

The Titans have more sacks than anyone else we have played and in addition to the three games against them and Jax we have played three other teams in the top half of the league in sacks.

They are dead to me. I don't count them. J/K good catch. I don't know how that slipped by me.

I don't care particularly about Turner but this is not realistic--5 years is an eternity in the NFL. If they aren't making a run by then, they will be on a third coaching staff. Owners, coaches and GM's don't plan for success half a decade down the line, they are looking for improvement this year and the next.
Mike

Old 12-24-2007   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:

Sage doesn't have it. He has been missing receivers the entire time he's been in the game. Against sub par teams that doesn't show up. How many people have referred to high and behind before?

Ok enough on Sage.

Our secondary isn't fixed. They have looked better against teams with 1 decent receiver and a few below average QBs. Demps is nice sure, but he can't be your best or second best player back there if you want to compete for playoff spots.

I'm going to make a suggestion. Can we go sign someone to take the beating next week? I think that in the face of a formidable pass rush our line is going to go back to its turnstile ways. Jacksonville has more sacks than anyone we've played this year.

We're better than we looked today. One of the intangible problems with this team for quite some time (read since the beginning) has been their inability to recover from bad breaks. That call against TJ today. HORRIBLE. Its football. It happens. But all too often this team shoots themselves in the foot and is unable to recover. Guess what. It happened today. From that TJ penalty on we were in flames.

I've long hated visors. Clear or tinted. I have to wonder however, that pass that hit daniels in the shoulder/helmet... it looked like he lost track of it. Anyone else think it was glare from the visor? I hate the tinted ones too but because I think they give the player wearing them an advantage. I know medical reasons only yeah right.

Briggs is a freeagent. I know he's a "cover-2" type LB. But is there a posibility we can land him? He seems to have speed and make tackles.

I'm really torn on Turner. As much as I want to go get him, I think we may be a few years away from making a serious run. RBs probably have the shortest lifespan of any one position in the league. When he turns 30 (in 5 years) are we going to be in the middle of a run? Yeah. Lets get him.

Did I mention I don't think Sage is the answer. What about the secondary. Oh yeah. Left Tackle. Find one.

Mike
OD never wore a visor prior to breaking his nose a few weeks back. I'm sure that's not fully healed yet.
Old 12-24-2007   #5
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ok enough on Sage.

Mike
I am a big fan of Michael Turner and would be stunned if we could get him. Isn't he a UFA next season? Can't we sign him without giving up any compensation?
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Prety much in agreement. What is the old saying...you are what you do.

The only hope I have is that Manning was spot on yesterday. I talk about NFL QBs having to put the ball in a six inch square window. Yesterday Manning was putting the ball in a one inch square window...The play of the game...he trots out one of our plays on a forth and short and runs a flanker around with Dallas Clark. He's seen Mario on tape sucking eggs inside the last three games and KNOWS there is no danger in running a risky play at argueably our scariest deffensive player the last five weeks. He knows where Mario will go and he will be out of position. The one time he held the ball more than three seconds, we get a sack.
So this off season we got to find seven points at home and thrity on the road to catch the Colts. I stoped the recording at the end of the third quarter. I've read about being drawn and quartered but had no desire to wittness it.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-26-2007 at 11:30 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post
I am a big fan of Michael Turner and would be stunned if we could get him. Isn't he a UFA next season? Can't we sign him without giving up any compensation?
It wasn't the running back yeterday or their lack of tallent . Running back isn't the majic bullet. But if that makes you feel better, what the hey.
Old 12-24-2007   #8
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

They at least credited Mario with his one sack. I was worried it was going to get negated.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #9
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
It wasn't the running back yeterday or their lack of tallent . Running back isn't the majic bullet. But if that makes you feel better, what the hey.
No, I do not believe that RB is the magic bullet for this team. However, if AG is unable to return from his mysterious knee ailment, then I'm not certain we have a frontline starter on our roster. I was impressed with Walker. He has good vision and patience to wait for the lane to open. Was excellent on the stretch plays and managed positive yards between the tackles. Good hands and caught the ball well. Best of all, he didn't fumble. Kubiak is high on Taylor but we really have only one game to look at and he did have some fumble issues. Dayne is.....well you know.

Turner is a real stud. The Tacks looked hard at him before the season but didn't pull the trigger. I would hate for him to end up in our division if we didn't sign him.

So, what's your answer to the RB question? Oh, it's not a problem for you so nevermind........

Genius since 1952
Old 12-24-2007   #10
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

The scary thing about "stud" running backs is that it's hard to tell if the success is due to the line, the ability of a team to pass or the talent of the running back himself. Addai is a good back, but would he be as successful on another team. Maroney is a good back, but he definitely benefits from the Patriots ability to torch defenses with the pass. I haven't heard Edgerrin James' mentioned in highlights since he left the Colts.

On the other hand you watch someone like Maurice Jones-Drew and he makes plays on his own. Seems like the Jags can tell the defense, "Hey Maurice is getting the ball up the middle. Do you wanna try and stop him or just move out the way so you don't get hurt?"...ha ha

Can't believe I'm complimenting my least favorite team, but it's hard not to respect their ability to just run over teams.
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #11
prostock101
Mr. Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch-Houston View Post
The scary thing about "stud" running backs is that it's hard to tell if the success is due to the line, the ability of a team to pass or the talent of the running back himself. Addai is a good back, but would he be as successful on another team. Maroney is a good back, but he definitely benefits from the Patriots ability to torch defenses with the pass. I haven't heard Edgerrin James' mentioned in highlights since he left the Colts.

On the other hand you watch someone like Maurice Jones-Drew and he makes plays on his own. Seems like the Jags can tell the defense, "Hey Maurice is getting the ball up the middle. Do you wanna try and stop him or just move out the way so you don't get hurt?"...ha ha

Can't believe I'm complimenting my least favorite team, but it's hard not to respect their ability to just run over teams.
I honestly do not disagree with that statement. Coaches and FO people make decisions all the time on players and it's always just an educated guess. Take Mr. Mittens for example. Kub truly thought he could make him a real QB. Oops! Or the "Can't Miss" label on Reggie "Diet Pepsi/Subway Commercial Boy" Bush. Not so much. Edgerrin James is also a good example. A stud at Indy. Not so studly at AZ. Do you think the Brownies would have drafted Quinn if they had any inkling that Derek Anderson was going to jump in there and have a breakout season. He hadn't shown them anything in three years and only made the #2 QB out of camp. Whodathunkit?
Old 12-24-2007   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

BTW guys, its not the end of the world. Lets just keep everything in perspective. For example, last years SB champs lost a game against the
Jags by a wider margin than our loss yesterday.
Thats right, Jags beat Indy 44-17 in their meeting in FLA in 2006.
Just a thought under thoughts.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #13
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

My first thought is that Peyton Manning is an absolute beast when he's on...which is most of the time. Great QB.

My second thought is that the Texans don't have the caliber of players the Colts have ...starters or backups. That's fixable thru drafting and quality FA pickups.

My third thought was I bet the fans were happy they were inside a nice cozy warm dome and not out in that blizzard.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
My first thought is that Peyton Manning is an absolute beast when he's on...which is most of the time. Great QB.

My second thought is that the Texans don't have the caliber of players the Colts have ...starters or backups. That's fixable thru drafting and quality FA pickups.

My third thought was I bet the fans were happy they were inside a nice cozy warm dome and not out in that blizzard.
this, I agree with on all three counts
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #15
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post
Yes and yes.

I really do want him. I know he's not the magic bullet. No ONE player is. But he's a start. We have 4 needs that IMHO are above all other. LT is the first. Then in no particular order RB/S/CB.

Mike

Old 12-24-2007   #16
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
One bad game and he "doesn't have it"? Hell, you'd think Schaub had started the game with people thinking that. To believe that Sage is lacking, despite having played good games against three great pass defenses, because of one poor outing against another good defense is absurd. I personally think the entire Rosenfels vs. Schaub argument is dumb, both have given the team virtually the same thing. One is just underpaid and underappreciated.

Quote:
You act as though this is the secondary we were planning to have since week one. We are basically operating on makeshift players as a result of our injuries. To complain about our lack of secondary is without purpose, considering that the only people who started last week who will probably be returning to the starting line-up next season are Will Demps and Fred Bennett.

Quote:
No, Daniels is just a putz. He's always fumbling and dropping passes. The man is an endless loop of bloopers. The sad part is that he is the best TE we have.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

a few points...

we aren't getting Turner...nor do we need to overpay for a rb when so many good backs come out in each draft

Sage is an excellent back up QB. Donno why you guys want to trash a solid reserve...it's hard to win in this league if you don't have depth. Lots of things to talk down about on this team but Sage isn't one of them

speaking of that....Daniels is a fine TE...may not be in the elite group but he is in the second tier of TE's in the NFL....He's a young player that catches well, runs good routes but makes a few young player mistakes in his soph year....donno about you guys sometimes.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #18
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess some of the fans want Joppru and Miller back instead.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007   #19
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
I guess some of the fans want Joppru and Miller back instead.
I didn't remember Miller being so slow, but watching some of the plays he had with New Orleans was painful. I thought his live action shots were slo mo replays.
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72000 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I say we're fine at QB, RB is gonna be an OK position, too. We DEFINITELY need to address the secondary. I LIKE Bennett. That young man can play some football. We should have 2 solid CBs if DROB can make a comeback from a horrible injury. I like Demps on our team. Not so sure about the rest of our "safeties". Our O-line could use some upgrading and we could use some upgrading at OLB. I'm not a big fan of signing UFA's to huge contracts...how much $$$ has McNair wasted the last 6 years on those??? I truly believe we have the FO to deal with our needs this offseason. All that said, the core of this team is set and it's a pretty good one. We need MUCH less help than we used to. Sunday was horrible all the way around. It happens. I also think that Sunday's game proved that Denvers QB is still a ways away from being the next John Elway.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read