Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-24-2007   #61
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sounds like Kubes has had it with T.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Link please.

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/footb...=J&player=3814

Johnson, Travis
Year Team Base Salary Sign Bonus Other Bonus Total Salary Cap Value Position
2007 Texans $ 435,000 $ 0 $ 355,280 $ 1,182,780 $ 1,630,780 DE
2006 Texans $ 350,000 $ 0 $ 5,215,940 $ 5,565,940 $ 1,397,940 DE
2005 Texans $ 230,000 $ 0 $ 1,060,000 $ 1,290,000 $ 1,290,000 DE
I think your link pretty much tells the story in that the salary numbers are at the minimums for experience, so I am not sure where the notion of TJ taking a haircut to his salary comes from.

Here are a couple more:
http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/Activ....aspx?id=37303

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap2008.html

Are you are talking about the signing/ guaranteed roster bonus structure that came in the design of his rookie deal? That is water under the bridge; it is spent money.
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #62
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Kubiak and the coaching staff did not have the Texans ready to play. Period.

Richard Smith got totally owned by Manning and the defensive gameplan was easily one of the worst ever....even for Smith (which is saying a lot)

Kubiak needs to lay off TJ and realize that he was playing hard and sometimes late hits happen. To be honest, any coach that isn't a little girl would have hoped for more late hits considering the Colts were throwing downfield up 30 points in the 2nd Half. I personally think we should have taken a run at someone (preferably Manning) to send a message that playing Madden-style football against us comes at a cost. I applaud TJ and Kubiak needs to grow a pair. Puhlease. This chivalry act is a joke.

Kubiak convinced the team to not quit after the Browns debacle, and for that he gets another year, but if the team continues to flatline through games at their present clip, the guy needs to find a new job because he would be considered a failure as head coach by all but the biggest homers.

Richard SMith needs to go this offseason though. He just isn't in the same planet much less the same league as some of the coaches in the league. Tom Moore and Manning completely pwned him....at least we will get a better draft pick because 8-8 or 9-7 means nothing to me. Playoffs or bust, baby.

Signed,
The Greatest Texans Fan, Me.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE FROM MY FAMILY AND I
Old 12-24-2007   #63
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And I have never posted also, that he is the highest payed player on the team. What I have always posted is he is way overpaid for what he brings to the table. I stand by both points.
Ok I was under the impression that you wrote:

Quote:
I undertand he turned the jets on this season for the contract. I have consitantly maintained that he is way over payed for what he brings to the table. And if he doesn't take a pay cut this off season they should cut him... out right.
That is what I responded to. 1) The dude is under contract through 2011.

2) The base salary is at the minimum for his playing experience.
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #64
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37816 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
Besides, when does Kubiak give a straight answer anyway half the time?
He's the straightest shooter this team has ever had. Ever listen to his radio show, or press conferences?
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #65
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think lack of focus and intensity was a far bigger problem in this game than
lack of preperation by Kubiak and his coachs. Of course, that's sorta the same thing when one gets right down to it. And I do agree with those who think TJ was basically a scapegoat. One of those PFs was just a bad call.
I also wonder why they left DeMeco in the game if his production was that
meager ? He's now a PB, 'cmon coach he doesn't have to prove anything at this point. If he's hurt, get him out of there and let your rookie backer Zack Diles get some experience.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #66
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 89864 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Kubiak and the coaching staff did not have the Texans ready to play. Period.

Richard Smith got totally owned by Manning and the defensive gameplan was easily one of the worst ever....even for Smith (which is saying a lot)

Kubiak needs to lay off TJ and realize that he was playing hard and sometimes late hits happen. To be honest, any coach that isn't a little girl would have hoped for more late hits considering the Colts were throwing downfield up 30 points in the 2nd Half. I personally think we should have taken a run at someone (preferably Manning) to send a message that playing Madden-style football against us comes at a cost. I applaud TJ and Kubiak needs to grow a pair. Puhlease. This chivalry act is a joke.

Kubiak convinced the team to not quit after the Browns debacle, and for that he gets another year, but if the team continues to flatline through games at their present clip, the guy needs to find a new job because he would be considered a failure as head coach by all but the biggest homers.

Richard SMith needs to go this offseason though. He just isn't in the same planet much less the same league as some of the coaches in the league. Tom Moore and Manning completely pwned him....at least we will get a better draft pick because 8-8 or 9-7 means nothing to me. Playoffs or bust, baby.

Signed,
The Greatest Texans Fan, Me.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE FROM MY FAMILY AND I

What the hell is going on here.

Me and SH are in complete agreement about something.

Must be the Christmas season...

Merry Christmas to all.

Old 12-24-2007   #67
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
What??? A coach calls out a player publicly for getting stupid penalties all season?!?! FIRE HIM

No really, Kubiak will be here next year and that's that. He's already gotten the team to tying it's best record Kubiak is going nowhere this offseason, or probably next barring a horrific meltdown.

TJ, on the otherhand, has underperformed significantly his entire career. And this "give a damn attitude" that some of you are slobbering over has only appeared this season, in his contract year. Get over it, TJ is a mediocre player at best, and gets really dumb drive sustaining penalties a lot more than he should at worst. I fully expect him to be wearing a different colored jersey at the start of next year.

But really, trying to say Kubiak is terrible because he slams one player at a press converence, LOL. Some of you posters on here are the ones that are "terrible".
I never said to fire Kubiak, go read all most posts. At least get it straight.

Kubiak is shaping up to be a mediocre coach. Sure, I understand he will probably be around for 2 more years, it really doesn't matter to me. Do you realize that the Texans under Kubiak have about a winless record against teams that are above .500? I don't know the number, but most of the wins are coming against team that are below .500!

Bottom line is, Kubiak shouldn't be calling any player out that hurts the team given how the entire team just gave up last Sunday. If you really look at who hurts the team, not just looking at personal foul penalties, we definitely wouldn't have a defensive coordinator and several other players.

You handle this type of stuff by action, plain and simple. Bench him a game, make him inactive, and let the media and fans figure it out for themselves.

David Carr did a lot more last year to hold back this team back, and Kubiak didn't say one word. Which brings me to my opinion, it's personal between Kubiak and TJ. These probably just don't like each other. It's happens, but a head coach in the NFL should handle it a lot better.

I am not sticking up for TJ or that this issue shouldn't be resolved. It's poor management skills by Kubiak to discuss this situation they way he did.

Of course TJ is not the best player on the team, but who is going to take his place that is going to better than him? We are kind of stuck with it. It's such a poor bluff at this stage of the season. Maybe he was referring to the offseason?

Who knows, Kubiak is just in over his head...
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2007   #68
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
What the hell is going on here.

Me and SH are in complete agreement about something.

Must be the Christmas season...

Merry Christmas to all.

maybe its karma. my brother just got engaged to his girlfriend who is a Notre Dame alumni/legacy so maybe we will be on the same wavelength more in the future. my brother and her are expecting a baby in August so there will be a little Notre Dame golden domer/Baylor golden bear hybrid running err crawling around come next Christmas. i haven't cried in a while but yesterday i was bawling with joy upon receiving the news. it was a nice pick-me-up after the abomination we were all subjected to from the RCA Dome.

GO NOTRE DAME!!
GO BAYLOR!!

oh and Texas Fight!! holiday bowl, here we come..............again.
Old 12-24-2007   #69
austintexanite
All Pro

I doubt that TJ will be cut next year. Kubiak and he will probably have a nice chat this week to sort out what the problem is. I don't like the fact that Kubes said those comments in public, it should have been done in house, but I like the message. The message being that you are held accountable for your actions, and I also don't think that Kubiak was blaming the loss on TJ but just pointing out that the reason we're not at an elite level is because we make bonehead mistakes whereas Championship teams rarely do.
Old 12-24-2007   #70
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintexanite View Post
I doubt that TJ will be cut next year. Kubiak and he will probably have a nice chat this week to sort out what the problem is. I don't like the fact that Kubes said those comments in public, it should have been done in house, but I like the message. The message being that you are held accountable for your actions, and I also don't think that Kubiak was blaming the loss on TJ but just pointing out that the reason we're not at an elite level is because we make bonehead mistakes whereas Championship teams rarely do.
i think our coaching staff prevents us from being an elite team as much if not more than our level of talent on the field. you gotta have talent in the booth and on the sideline and I just dont see it. it's a dimestore 3rd rate coaching staff and it shows on the field on a weekly basis.

can Kubiak ever beat a quality team? after 2 years, he has had one quality win and that was against a playoff bound Colts team with little to play for.
Old 12-24-2007   #71
austintexanite
All Pro

I agree that Kubiak has had his share of WTF moments, but overall I still keep him as our HC. However, I think we do need a DC that can gameplan consistent pressure. I'm not saying to blitz all the time, but enough where you have to keep the other team honest and guessing what we are doing.
Old 12-24-2007   #72
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I firmly beleive TJ is trade bait & as stated earlier for different reasons (salary cap considerations) Anthony Weaver.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #73
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
i think our coaching staff prevents us from being an elite team as much if not more than our level of talent on the field. you gotta have talent in the booth and on the sideline and I just dont see it. it's a dimestore 3rd rate coaching staff and it shows on the field on a weekly basis.

can Kubiak ever beat a quality team? after 2 years, he has had one quality win and that was against a playoff bound Colts team with little to play for.
you gotta be kidding me what a classless, haven't got a clue, bah-humm-bug Christmas for anyone who thinks this coaching staff is the reason why the Texans are not an elite team. 3rd rate coaching staff my
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #74
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 49241 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubes need to back off of TJ and not threatenen his livlihood. The man's got to eat, and god don't like ugly.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #75
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Read the presser on the website. Kubiak clearly states he thinks the first call was a bad one. He agreed the 2nd one was late.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #76
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree that Kubiak has had his share of WTF moments, but overall I still keep him as our HC. However, I think we do need a DC that can gameplan consistent pressure. I'm not saying to blitz all the time, but enough where you have to keep the other team honest and guessing what we are doing.
I'd have to ask myself how much worse could we have looked with a scheme based on proponderance of blitzing..........at least, it would have added elements of guessing, surprise and possibly success. As it was, we were left with predictability, boredom and humiliation.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #77
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We could not get the defense together with Capers either. A lot of the problem is Dunta being gone. Remember he is the Heart and Soul of the Defense.
Old 12-24-2007   #78
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Well. I can see Hollywood's point. I said as much after Schaub got bull-dogged into the ground at Hillbillyville. THe Hillbillies figured out how to keep Schaub from beating them.

Personally, I think this team needs more piss and vinegar like TJ brings. I want the Texans to stop being the team everyone looks forward to playing.

I'm of the opinion that the only way to beat Jesus Manning is to put him on the sideline, locker room, ambulance, anywhere but on the field. Too bad TJ wasn't successful.

If that makes me classless, so be it. I still sleep at night.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #79
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I'd have to ask myself how much worse could we have looked with a scheme based on proponderance of blitzing..........at least, it would have added elements of guessing, surprise and possibly success. As it was, we were left with predictability, boredom and humiliation.
I don't get why we are not blitzing...our secondary can't cover anyone anyhow so might as well get the guy who is throwing it instead of waiting for him to find a guy wide open for 10+ yard passes all game.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #80
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
I don't get why we are not blitzing...our secondary can't cover anyone anyhow so might as well get the guy who is throwing it instead of waiting for him to find a guy wide open for 10+ yard passes all game.
That's exactly what I was getting at..................at least, until anything significant changes.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read