Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-23-2007   #1
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Genius is Back!

Just some thoughts Id like to share with the class.

I think we all agree this was a total team loss. The offense was poor and the defense was poorer. I think we play them better at home. RS was apparently unwilling to play much man coverage against Manning and he just picked us apart. I still think Kubiak is a good coach and hes got this team in the right direction. Im not going to get into position needs because we all know what they are. The challenge for next year is pretty obvious. Were 0-5 in our division, 7-3 against the rest and Im not optimistic about beating Jax next week. We are in a very tough division and Kubiak and Smith have a very big task ahead of them. Having the most players on IR two years in a row has certainly not helped. This is just bad luck and nothing else. Take Brady or Manning out of the lineup for 5 or 6 games and see how many they win. The two major things that will dictate the outcome of an NFL season are injuries and turnovers. I think we lead the league in both categories and were still 7-8.

All the Sage for starter people sure got quiet. Schaub is still the long term answer at QB but Sage is a quality backup and we need to keep him. He is worth a lot more than what we could get for him.

Andre Davis has been impressive returning kicks. I would not be surprised to see Mathis cut or traded next year.

Darius Walker looked pretty good. Not blazing fast or big but he has good vision and he has patience finding the lane. Better yet, no fumbles. Im curious to see what we do with RB next year. If AG comes back healthy then I see him returning along with Chris Taylor, Walker and Dayne. If his knee is toast like DD/W then I would bet wed be looking at another RB through the draft or FA.

Jacoby JonesWTF? If anyone remembers the tackle when he was hurt, it was pretty violent. The guy just picked him up and slammed him to the ground. Since hes been back, nothing, nada, zip. Its like hes not even the same player. Did that one tackle mess with his mind so much that hes become tentative and unable to perform like he did early on? Hmmmm..

"Genius since 1952"
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #2
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Genius is Back!

i'm 99.9% sure green is done here.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #3
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post

I think we all agree this was a total team loss. The offense was poor and the defense was poorer. I think we play them better at home. RS was apparently unwilling to play much man coverage against Manning and he just picked us apart. I still think Kubiak is a good coach and hes got this team in the right direction. Im not going to get into position needs because we all know what they are. The challenge for next year is pretty obvious. Were 0-5 in our division, 7-3 against the rest and Im not optimistic about beating Jax next week. We are in a very tough division and Kubiak and Smith have a very big task ahead of them. Having the most players on IR two years in a row has certainly not helped. This is just bad luck and nothing else. Take Brady or Manning out of the lineup for 5 or 6 games and see how many they win. The two major things that will dictate the outcome of an NFL season are injuries and turnovers. I think we lead the league in both categories and were still 7-8.

All the Sage for starter people sure got quiet. Schaub is still the long term answer at QB but Sage is a quality backup and we need to keep him. He is worth a lot more than what we could get for him.

Andre Davis has been impressive returning kicks. I would not be surprised to see Mathis cut or traded next year.

Darius Walker looked pretty good. Not blazing fast or big but he has good vision and he has patience finding the lane. Better yet, no fumbles. Im curious to see what we do with RB next year. If AG comes back healthy then I see him returning along with Chris Taylor, Walker and Dayne. If his knee is toast like DD/W then I would bet wed be looking at another RB through the draft or FA.

Jacoby JonesWTF? If anyone remembers the tackle when he was hurt, it was pretty violent. The guy just picked him up and slammed him to the ground. Since hes been back, nothing, nada, zip. Its like hes not even the same player. Did that one tackle mess with his mind so much that hes become tentative and unable to perform like he did early on? Hmmmm..

"Genius since 1952"
That's pretty much the whole problem in a nutshell.

And I wouldn't be surprised if JJ gets cut next year - if he doesn't get back to his early performance levels. He rarely sees the field as a WR any more and, as people keep pointing out, he isn't really producing at PR. He may be on the same bus outta town that you guys want to put Green on.
Too bad. I kinda liked the kid.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not going to worry that much about Jacoby Jones. He's just another one of those rookies who came into the league, all full of piss and vinegar, thinking, "Hey, this game ain't too big for me. This is easy!"

Up until he gets the snot knocked out of him by some defender just as fast, and just as strong as he is. I have no doubts that this season has been a learning experience for him, and that his second season will be much more productive.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
That's pretty much the whole problem in a nutshell.

And I wouldn't be surprised if JJ gets cut next year - if he doesn't get back to his early performance levels. He rarely sees the field as a WR any more and, as people keep pointing out, he isn't really producing at PR. He may be on the same bus outta town that you guys want to put Green on.
Too bad. I kinda liked the kid.
i thought i had seen it all. i guess i was wrong.

wow, man... just... wow.

-Ben Franklin
Old 12-23-2007   #6
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42947 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You must be one of them book smart Genius'. You should know better than to poke a sleeping grumpy bear.

You will have to explain to me how you have come to the conclusion that Schaub is our long term answer. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't. Who knows? Schaub has not shown enough to answer that question, with or without AJ in the lineup. Not to mention what if Schaub is injury prone? Just ask the Rockets how having a glass man can affect the team.

As far as I am concerned the QB situation is still up in the air. I don't think either of them are the long term bell ringers for this team. They are both good enough to keep this team competitive and allow our front office to address and build other areas of need. They are keeping the seat warm so to speak.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #7
prostock101
Mr. Big

Rep Power: 275 prostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respectedprostock101 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
You must be one of them book smart Genius'. You should know better than to poke a sleeping grumpy bear.

You will have to explain to me how you have come to the conclusion that Schaub is our long term answer. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't. Who knows? Schaub has not shown enough to answer that question, with or without AJ in the lineup. Not to mention what if Schaub is injury prone? Just ask the Rockets how having a glass man can affect the team.

As far as I am concerned the QB situation is still up in the air. I don't think either of them are the long term bell ringers for this team. They are both good enough to keep this team competitive and allow our front office to address and build other areas of need. They are keeping the seat warm so to speak.
Ok, grumpy bear. It's just my personal opinion but I believe Schaub has the potential to be a very good QB. Remember, this is basically his rookie season. Injury prone? I don't buy it. Take a look around the league at all the QB's that are on IR or knocked out for several games. Are they all injury prone?
prostock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-23-2007   #8
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I'm not going to worry that much about Jacoby Jones. He's just another one of those rookies who came into the league, all full of piss and vinegar, thinking, "Hey, this game ain't too big for me. This is easy!"

Up until he gets the snot knocked out of him by some defender just as fast, and just as strong as he is. I have no doubts that this season has been a learning experience for him, and that his second season will be much more productive.
Maybe you're right. I hope so. He looks to be quite a talent. Maybe its that "Rookie Wall" some first year guys hit. The Sporting News had an article on it about three weeks ago - in the magazine they had a photo of Okoye who admitted to succumbing to it himself.

Quote:
Can't relate? Then listen to one of your own classmates. Before the Texans dispersed for their bye two weeks ago, defensive tackle Amobi Okoye told the local media he was tired and was looking forward to going home to Huntsville, Ala., to rest.

"I've been waiting for this for the past two weeks," he said. "They brag about me being 20 years old and being in the NFL, but right now I tell you what -- I don't feel like I'm 20 at all. I feel like probably 35."

That's the 10th pick in the draft talking.

If he can hit that wall, so can you.
And small college guys especially probably aren't used to playing more than 10-12 games a year. Maybe he's just wearing out.

So I take it back about him gettin cut next year. Maybe JJ has hit that wall.
Old 12-23-2007   #9
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
i thought i had seen it all. i guess i was wrong.

wow, man... just... wow.
You're only 19 and you "thought i had seen it all"

....fascinating.
Old 12-23-2007   #10
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

"Genius since 1952"
I agree with your post. Rep on the way. The only thing I would like to add is props for Matt Turk. Too bad the defense couldn't take advantage of the incredible field position he gave them all game. I guess, at least, it slowed down the Manning scoring machine.
Old 12-23-2007   #11
austintexanite
All Pro

I was only able to watch the first quarter because of Holiday errands, but 33 first downs is horrible. I wasn't shocked when I heard the final score, and from reading some posts, I hear that the team didn't execute as well. Was it a big brain fart or what? Ten days to get ready for this, I'd just hoped we showed up more. Oh well, Merry Xmas to all.
Old 12-23-2007   #12
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
You're only 19 and you "thought i had seen it all"

....fascinating.
i had a strange feeling that was gonna be brought up... you know what i mean. give the kid some time!

-Ben Franklin
Old 12-23-2007   #13
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Marcus, wasn't that defender that was just as fast & strong as JJ "the Punter"?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read