Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-23-2004   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Could Peek play ILB?

is the ILB position in a 3-4 more involved, or less involved than the OLB position?

Would Peek have to drop into coverage less?

I wonder if peek is even any good at stopping the run?

I just wonder cause ive been converted and I beleive that we need to replace Foreman.. he is a high quality backup.. but not quite starter material(either that or we use him wrong).

Anyway, Im crossing my fingers than we trade up and get Derrick Johnson this next draft .. and if we do that, we probably wont have enough 1st day picks to get a starting quality Dlineman and an ILB.. lineman is more important.. so that leaves us with Foreman starting again.

SO.. any of you gurus have an opinion on peek at ILB?
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004   #2
LoNghoRn-TeXaN
Veteran

Peek certainly is a good pass rusher but can't stop the run, that's why the Texans are playing Babin over Peek.
LoNghoRn-TeXaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004   #3
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoNghoRn-TeXaN
Peek certainly is a good pass rusher but can't stop the run, that's why the Texans are playing Babin over Peek.
I don't buy into that. Is there really that much difference between Babin's run coverage and Peek's?

I hear coaches and everybody else say that but there is so much upside to Peek's pass rush. I really wish they would get him into the game. Maybe they could bring him in on pass situations.
Old 11-23-2004   #4
LoNghoRn-TeXaN
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc
I don't buy into that. Is there really that much difference between Babin's run coverage and Peek's?

I hear coaches and everybody else say that but there is so much upside to Peek's pass rush. I really wish they would get him into the game. Maybe they could bring him in on pass situations.
He's not strong against the run. He can't find his way around blockers to bring down the RB. He's not strong at moving horizontally along the LOS to make the tackle. Babin on the other hand is very strong at that. Also, Peek is certainly a pretty good pass rusher and I want to see him more on passing downs, but the problem is that he lacks discipline. You will see him jump offsides and also maybe rough the passer. He needs to quit doing that.
LoNghoRn-TeXaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004   #5
georgewashington
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoNghoRn-TeXaN
He's not strong against the run. He can't find his way around blockers to bring down the RB. He's not strong at moving horizontally along the LOS to make the tackle. Babin on the other hand is very strong at that. Also, Peek is certainly a pretty good pass rusher and I want to see him more on passing downs, but the problem is that he lacks discipline. You will see him jump offsides and also maybe rough the passer. He needs to quit doing that.
I guess you have not seen his progression this season have you. Did you watch him play against the colts? The first play he was in he stayed outside in good contain. The second play James started in the middle and then bounced outside, and peek was waiting there, IN CONTAIN, and made the tackle for a no gain. Then the next two plays he dropped into coverage, and on the second was in perfect position and made an interception. I think if you stop listening to what people had said in the past about his lack of run stop and his wild play, and actually watched how he has been playing lately you would see that he has improved greatly. i know i have been very pro-Peek this year, but if you actually watch his play you cant deny his improvement with out even getting much playing time. And i point out that on the texans own page he was pointed out with another article about him and how he doesnt get playing time but when he does he makes things happen. you be the judge of that.
georgewashington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004   #6
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default No way.

Peek was a DE at Cincinnati, when in college. It has been a struggle for him to make the adjustment to OLB, and ILB is out of the question, but I do think its' time to place him in there, mistakes and all. Move Wong to inside LB, and bring Foreman in during special situations. His lack of size and hitting ability are a liability in the middle of the field. Folks, its not the 3-4 scheme that is killing us against the run, it's our weak side and middle LB. Sharper is having another great year, but 4 yards down field, and Babin is coming on. Wong will have a better presence on the inside and Peek will add more heart and havoc. The Ravens stop the run, the patriots stop the run, the Falcons stop the run, and the Steelers are the #1 defense in the league and against the run.................ALL RUN THE 3-4 SCHEME. Changes need to be made!
Old 11-23-2004   #7
georgewashington
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull
Peek was a DE at Cincinnati, when in college. It has been a struggle for him to make the adjustment to OLB, and ILB is out of the question, but I do think its' time to place him in there, mistakes and all. Move Wong to inside LB, and bring Foreman in during special situations. His lack of size and hitting ability are a liability in the middle of the field. Folks, its not the 3-4 scheme that is killing us against the run, it's our weak side and middle LB. Sharper is having another great year, but 4 yards down field, and Babin is coming on. Wong will have a better presence on the inside and Peek will add more heart and havoc. The Ravens stop the run, the patriots stop the run, the Falcons stop the run, and the Steelers are the #1 defense in the league and against the run.................ALL RUN THE 3-4 SCHEME. Changes need to be made!
A perfect post, i agree completely, the experiment with wong on the inside during preseason was not used for no reason. The coaches knew this time would come and prepared for it. Its time to use the talent on the team and use the tactics that will show the 3-4 is a great defense when its played correctly. Babin and Peek may not be Vrable or Porter yet, but if they are allowed to play and given the right play calling they could develop into them.
Sponsored links
Old 11-23-2004   #8
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Currently we still have an OUTSIDE chance at making the playoffs, but we lose another game or two and Indy and Jacksonvill win and then we are then in the no hope what so ever realm. At that point, I suspect that the Babin & Peek OLB and Wong at ILB experiment will become operational in hopes of being prepared to play next year and for the draft. Untile we are at that point, I doubt it will be used other than a rare occasion or two.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc
Yes, a ridiculous amount of difference. That is one reason Babin plays the strong side and Peek is a weak-side linebacker. The strong-side linebacker needs to be strong against the run. Last year Peek was lit up, exposed and isolated like Matt Stevens when he played on the edge. He was miserable against the run. Babin is a solid run stopper. I'm not sure if he has improved....because Wong is playing well. I am hoping Peek can take over the weak side OLB by next season.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull
Wong to inside LB, and bring Foreman in during special situations. His lack of size and hitting ability are a liability in the middle of the field.
Foreman is 240 pounds. He is not undersized.
Old 11-23-2004   #11
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Undersized...

Yeah, Foreman is 240lbs, but his overall strength is what counts, and this guy doesn't have that. I know alot of "overweight" guys, who can only lift a burger to their mouths, but doesn't their weight doesn't make them strong! Wong looks the part, maybe he is too.
Old 11-23-2004   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I'm not a big Foreman fan. I would like to see his position upgraded myself.
Old 11-23-2004   #13
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Ahmad Brooks
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004   #14
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

In watching the game again on DVR recording, Brett Favre was 6/6 under 15 yards up the middle, and 5/5 over 15 yards up the middle halfway through the 3rd quarter. I also noticed Foreman was lacking in coverage on numerous plays throughout the game. It usually ended up being Babin, Robinson, Earl, and Glenn making his tackles.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004   #15
georgewashington
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Yes, a ridiculous amount of difference. That is one reason Babin plays the strong side and Peek is a weak-side linebacker. The strong-side linebacker needs to be strong against the run. Last year Peek was lit up, exposed and isolated like Matt Stevens when he played on the edge. He was miserable against the run. Babin is a solid run stopper. I'm not sure if he has improved....because Wong is playing well. I am hoping Peek can take over the weak side OLB by next season.
If it is that ridiculous then how come Peek has been Babin's sub every game this year and not someone else? And you cant keep comparing all these statements to last years performance. The point is that if you looked at his play he hasnt really made too many mistakes that can lead to saying he is still bad against the run. He did very well against the colts in keeping contain and making a stop against edge's cut back. I think its funny to criticize what hasnt happened this year. Hes played well in coverage, hasnt been faked out by the running back, and hasnt given up a big play. and i also think i read that foreman has a hurt neck and could be out this week. so the switch up is not that ridiculous of an idea.
Old 11-23-2004   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

On a different note. I was just told that if we drafted Derrick Johnson.. he would play ILB for us.

SO.. if that was the case.. the problem is solved . Wong has had a good year and he will stay as an OLB.. so will Babin.

But Wong, Johnson, Sharper, Babin... that is an awesome lineup.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewashington
If it is that ridiculous then how come Peek has been Babin's sub every game this year and not someone else?
Yeah, on passing downs. You are not going to take out Wong. You will take out Babin because that puts your two best speed rushers on the field. You will not find Peek in at the strong OLB in short down and distance packages.
Old 11-23-2004   #18
georgewashington
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Yeah, on passing downs. You are not going to take out Wong. You will take out Babin because that puts your two best speed rushers on the field. You will not find Peek in at the strong OLB in short down and distance packages.
Short down and distance packages? such as 1st down inside the colts own 10. That seemed like he went in during a situation where running occurs quite often, and that is a long distance down the field. He seemed to be in during that exact situation. Im not saying he is going to play strong side regularly, im saying that he is the only one that has gone in for babin, whether it was pass plays, or whether he was pulled during the 4th quarter. And i believe that when he was in at the colts he was not even rushing very much, mostly contain on running and dropping into coverage.
Old 11-23-2004   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

If the Colts had their passing package in I'm sure we had our pass rush package in. This stuff is really simple when you think about it clearly.
Old 11-23-2004   #20
georgewashington
Veteran

Passing package? He played the whole quarter, and i believe that a package that involves a TE, RB, and only 2 wide outs isnt exactly a passing package. The fact is he came in for Babin just like against KC. And he wasnt rushing the QB against the colts, he was dropped into coverage every play. That doesnt seem like he was in there just to pass rush.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read