Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-22-2007   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default People on record as wanting Mario over Reggie/VY?

I know Bill Parcells and Tony Dungy have gone on record saying that they would've taken Mario over Vince and Reggie.

I remember there was a lot made of Bellichik going out of his way to shake Mario's hand after the Pats beat the Texans last year. Has he gone on record saying who he would pick?

Are there any coaches that have gone on record one way or another as to who they'd pick?

PS: Parcells and Dungy aren't bad references...
Old 12-22-2007   #2
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: People on record as wanting Mario over Reggie/VY?

In this age of sound bites and political correctness I doubt too many would say one way or another, but I'm sure many have a higher opinion of Mario...especiall after this season.
Old 12-23-2007   #3
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

7 had Mario #1 on the draft board.

Never seen the 7 identities released though...
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #4
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
7 had Mario #1 on the draft board.

Never seen the 7 identities released though...
Name 7 coaches who are defensive minded or who think their offense is good enough.

Bill Parcels
Tony Dungy

This is my guess.

John Gruden
Bull Belichik
Marvin Lewis
AJ Smith (GM)

That is all I can think of.
Old 12-23-2007   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Name 7 coaches who are defensive minded or who think their offense is good enough.

Bill Parcels
Tony Dungy

This is my guess.

John Gruden
Bull Belichik
Marvin Lewis
AJ Smith (GM)

That is all I can think of.
Jeff Fisher?
Old 12-23-2007   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted a trade down and D'brickashaw...but no one called.
Old 12-23-2007   #7
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected

I am pretty sure Bellichik made mention of it because there was a lot of attention of him rushing to shake Mario's hand after the game. But I cant find an article on the Internet.
Old 12-23-2007   #8
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
The fact that no one called should be pretty good evidence that Bush wasn't miles ahead of every other player on coaches/GM's draft boards. If he was really a can't miss, once-in-a-lifetime player - if he was really head and shoulders beyond Mario and Vince, there would have been some phone calls.

Also, I really wonder how many teams without a dominant pass-rusher would have passed on Mario if they had been sitting at #1.

I don't think these execs where nearly as influenced by ESPN hype as fans were.
Old 12-23-2007   #9
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Broke Back Reggie did not want to be a Texan, Vince wanted to be a Texan But did not fit the scheme. Kubes was one of the 7 but gives all the credit to Casserly. Mario Rules as he should after the Toung lashing he got from this board and the world.
Old 12-23-2007   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

michael smith is about the only one i can recall that stayed firm on mario

of course i don't watch all the shows, so I more than likely have missed a few
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #11
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
The fact that no one called should be pretty good evidence that Bush wasn't miles ahead of every other player on coaches/GM's draft boards. If he was really a can't miss, once-in-a-lifetime player - if he was really head and shoulders beyond Mario and Vince, there would have been some phone calls.

Also, I really wonder how many teams without a dominant pass-rusher would have passed on Mario if they had been sitting at #1.

I don't think these execs where nearly as influenced by ESPN hype as fans were.
Kind of nice to see people finally coming around to this ...

That and the important acknowledgement that we really did draft Mario because our FO wanted him more ... not because of "signability" or because Reggie was a prick.
Old 12-23-2007   #12
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...t&lid=tab1pos1

here is smith's article in 2006

Quote:
Critics point to the fact that 13½ of Williams' 14½ sacks last season came in the Wolfpack's final seven games and wonder about his consistency. Williams offered an interesting explanation for that. It took him four games to figure out how to better deal with cut blocks. Instead of wasting time pushing down with both hands on blockers' shoulder pads and stepping around the block the way linemen are taught, Williams learned how to handle blockers with one hand or just hurdle them. He had three sacks in NC State's fifth game, against Wake Forest.

A longtime defensive line coach says that on film, Williams appears to be playing a bit "cautious." Williams concurred with the observation. At NC State, the ends' first responsibility was outside containment (bootlegs, reverses) and at one point they weren't even allowed to take an inside rush. That discipline might give the impression that Williams was taking plays off. "I don't feel like my play changed from the beginning of the season to the end of the season," he said. "Maybe my numbers were different, but I ran the same way."
I hope this translates equally to what this NFL season is(he is coming around late in the season), learning how to shed blocks and stop being cautious

Last edited by Wolf; 12-23-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #13
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Michael Smith should get a promotion because in his words to the Around the Horn talking heads the day after the draft with his green face shining,"I've forgotten more about football than yall will ever know!!!"
Old 12-23-2007   #14
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Jeff Fisher?
Pretty sure Jeff Fisher wanted Matt Leinart.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #15
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Given that the Jets are 5th/6th in the league with 44 sacks, I'm not sure D'Brick was "all that" anyway.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #16
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41343 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It is my theory that no called because Uncle Bob wanted to sign someone before the pick was made.IMO the SOP for the NFL is to wait until you are on the clock before things become real.Uncle Bob is playing a different game than the rest of the league, I dunno if that is good or bad!
Old 12-23-2007   #17
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40 View Post
It is my theory that no called because Uncle Bob wanted to sign someone before the pick was made.IMO the SOP for the NFL is to wait until you are on the clock before things become real.Uncle Bob is playing a different game than the rest of the league, I dunno if that is good or bad!
According to the Sporting News article that was posted on this board a few times, that was not the case. McNair might've preferred to have everything wrapped up before hand, but was more concerned with the team getting the player the coaches wanted even if they weren't signed before the draft.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #18
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41343 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

WE will never know because Uncle Bob did not wait!
Old 12-23-2007   #19
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
According to the Sporting News article that was posted on this board a few times, that was not the case. McNair might've preferred to have everything wrapped up before hand, but was more concerned with the team getting the player the coaches wanted even if they weren't signed before the draft.
I'd heard this about McNair more than once. I'm surprised, and a little impressed, that he was willing to give a little on this point.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #20
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Pretty sure Jeff Fisher wanted Matt Leinart.
from the michael smith article:

Quote:
"I've seen solid players, impact players," Titans coach Jeff Fisher told The (Nashville) Tennessean, "but nobody that has a potential to impact a defense like [Williams]."

wow at the article- MS must look back at it and say to himself 'i own'.. i knew he wanted us to take mario but he got nearly everything right

Quote:
Another thing: Williams has more -- yes -- upside than Bush. He's 21 years old, still raw. Dare I say it: We may already have seen the best of Bush. I can't help but wonder if it's possible for him to look any better or even as good, and the same goes for Matt Leinart, without the line and the supporting cast he played with at USC.

The Texans are negotiating with the agents for both Bush and Williams, but I don't believe, as the skeptics do, that they're trying to use Williams to drive down Bush's price. I believe that, deep down, Kubiak and general manager Charley Casserly know what has to be done.

Everyone talks about Bush's versatility but Williams not only can play but be effective all along the defensive line: at 4-3 base (left) end, 4-3 open-side (right, most often opposite the strong side) end, "three" technique (shading the guard's outside shoulder) tackle, or 3-4 end.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read