Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Grade Kubiak's Performance This Year....
A 18 15.13%
B 80 67.23%
C 18 15.13%
D 3 2.52%
F 0 0%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2007   #81
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How Good of a Job Has Kubiak Done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I gave a C.

Wins seem to come in the form of "trap games" where we sneak up on people. I don't think Champ Bailey was far off in his comments about us.

I think Haynesworth is as good of an analyst on us as he is a player playing against (His Schaub/Sage remarks).

We're an identity-less team, which I think stems from an identity-less head coach. When we're running over people, we go to the pass too much. When we are passing the ball well, we tend to try and run the ball. We're just unstable and schizo IMO. It's like we never game-planned against each team...we just show up, throw out some scripted plays to start the game and "go fishing" to see what we can do all day.

In contrast, other teams (quality teams) seem to come at us full-blast and it's as if they know what plays we're calling on both sides of the ball. That, to me, speaks volumes about our coaching: We're pretty predictable.

I'm just not feeling the same love I once felt for Kubiak. He did a good job of saving a sinking ship, but I don't think he's the guy to take us to the next level. I think he's a stop-gap guy who sets up the next coach to come in here and take us to the next level.

Great post. As far as the last comments of Kubiak, I hope that the team's "identity" problems will be lost with the loss of the apparently diametrically opposed philosophies of this season's HC and OC. I hope before the beginning of next season someone goes up to Kubiak and smacks him in the head..........."You could've had a V8".............
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #82
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
the apparently diametrically opposed philosophies of this season's HC and OC.
I think that's it in a nutshell. That's the reason I didn't vote. It's pretty obvious that Mike Sherman has had way too much say in what goes on in this organization. And he doesn't want to run Kubiak's style of offense.

When Troy Calhoun got hired on as OC, all the talk was about how much of an offensive genius he was. Anyone else remember the story about John Gruden and Mike Shanahan drinking beer together and Gruden was talking about hiring him? Then Shanahan told Gruden that he already hired him....turned out his offense looked lot like a Green Bay offense.

Kubiak hired Sherman because he needed an experienced guy to learn from in his first HC gig. Looks like Sherman wouldn't come on board unless he had some level of control. It looks like that level of control was a hell of a lot.

I have a feeling that he's gonna run the A&M program into the ground. I honestly hope I'm wrong for the sake of my Ag friends, but I don't think that he has the personality to beat out Mack Brown and Bob Stoops in recruiting year in and year out.

Let's hope he can delegate.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007   #83
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Great post. As far as the last comments of Kubiak, I hope that the team's "identity" problems will be lost with the loss of the apparently diametrically opposed philosophies of this season's HC and OC. I hope before the beginning of next season someone goes up to Kubiak and smacks him in the head..........."You could've had a V8".............
I thought we'd see the offense become a little better with the departure of Calhoun. I was on the Sherman Ship, 100%, thinking that his success in Green Bay would translate to our team. Wrong.

Having said that, several commentators have said that Kubiak gets the call from the booth and he can override it himself (if he wants to) before sending it to the huddle. Thus, the bulk of responsibility is upon Kubiak.

Two years, Two OCs. Same identity-less offense. And we're about to add our third OC in 3 years. I know the offense stays the same so that we're not really changing overall philosophies or anything, and Kubiak can override the call(s) if he wants to, but then why do we even have an OC? Hire a guy to be an Offensive Consultant...someone who watches from above, in the booth, and is what he is: A consultant to the REAL guy who is calling the plays--Kubiak.

Thus and therefore: Kubiak gets a C because he is ultimately the one responsible for the playcalling and gameplanning.

Maybe he gets over the top in his third year, I dunno. I'll give the guy one more season. But if we finish .500 or less--again--then I'm done. I don't need a Super Bowl win next season, though it'd benice, but I'd like to see us play some playoff football and get into that category for once. It'll make us more attractive to FA's who can make a real difference.
Old 12-28-2007   #84
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I was on the Sherman Ship, 100%, thinking that his success in Green Bay would translate to our team. Wrong.

Two years, Two OCs. Same identity-less offense.
It is a joke to act as if this year's offense and last year's bear any resemblance either in what is attempted or what is achieved.
Old 12-28-2007   #85
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm hoping Kubiak starts showing us 100% Gary Kubiak . I think he respected Sherman and let him do his own thing . We then had a clash of styles . I for the record like big guys who'll kick your butt because they're dominant . Anybody seen 5 of these guys around ?

I like Kubiak as a leader . He seems like a players coach who does'nt allow excuses and if you don't do your job ... well ... there's a price to be paid .
Old 09-22-2008   #86
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

What a difference 9 months and two road losses makes.......

Seems to me that some fans are more 'unstable' than the organzation.... But it makes for 'good times'!!
Old 09-22-2008   #87
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

i still have hopes we can make the playoffs this year ..... we just need to get our act together
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2008   #88
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
i still have hopes we can make the playoffs this year ..... we just need to get our act together
I'm not saying we were going to make the playoffs, but I will stand by my 9-7 or 8-8 prediction.
Old 09-22-2008   #89
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I'm not saying we were going to make the playoffs, but I will stand by my 9-7 or 8-8 prediction.
You are one optimistic dude, my man!

I'm downgrading this team to 6-10 until they can prove that they belong in the NFL.
Old 09-22-2008   #90
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I blame both defeats on the coaching staff. I think Kubiak and crew have done a real poor job of preparing the players. Some of the plays they were running on Sunday didn't make any sense. Also some of the decisions also made little sense. The Texans to me looked desperate and I think they played into the hands of the Titans. The biggest responsibility of a coaching staff is to get the players ready as best as they can, but the last 2 games didn't look like they were ready to compete with these other teams.
Old 09-22-2008   #91
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
You are one optimistic dude, my man!

I'm downgrading this team to 6-10 until they can prove that they belong in the NFL.
Damn skippy I'm optimistic. I just watched this city and surrounding area get punched right in the mouth. We are all picking ourselves up by the boot straps and getting back to work. The ones who aren't there yet, will be there soon...

I suspect that the Texans will do the same. They just go punched in the mouth, (not unlike many of suspected they would) and may take another shot or two in the next couple of weeks... Then the worm turns!! Book it!!!!!
Old 09-22-2008   #92
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

C. I voted B back in the day when SAGE was playing...
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #93
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

DRAFT: I give Kubes a B. The 2006 draft was as solid as it comes, and 2007 and 2008 give me optimism. The two 2nd round picks for Schaub keeps this from being an A, but I sure hope Schaub upgrades this mark.

FREE AGENCY: I give Kubes a D. It's funny, CP was just rattling off the FA failures that I posted here a few weeks ago. Under Kubiak, the team has signed (and sometimes with big guaranteed money) Weaver, Greenwood, Flanagan, Green, Putzier, Black, Reeves, and Colvin. I'm probably missing a few of the flops. There have been a couple nice pickups, but they were usually the low-risk signings like Andre Davis, Kevin Walter, Maddox, Cochran, and Hutchins. What impact free agent has Kubiak went after and succeeded with? Weaver, Greenwood, Green, and Flanagan probably qualified at the time as impact signings, but they never worked out. This regime has not done well in FA, IMO.

GAME PLANNING: I give Kubiak a C- here, because he's done more offensively than I expected (this season notwithstanding), but he's allowed so much input from his other coaches that the product seems schizophrenic at times. And we can all complain about Richard Smith, but Kubiak holds the reins. Defensive game planning has been inadequate, at best. Offensively, they got a lot out of a bad situation last year, so there's some goodwill left there.

IN-GAME DECISIONS: I give him a D here. The first drive of the game is usually very good. After that, the adjustments are hit-or-miss, for the most part. His clock management has left me screaming at the field or TV far too often, and he sucks at challenging. In this chess game, Kubiak is always playing from a position of being in check.

The other important category for me is player development, but I am going to abstain from grading that just yet. I'm sure there are other criteria by which to grade him, but these are the important ones for me. YMMV.
Old 09-22-2008   #94
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not expecting the playoffs anymore this year(I would love for the Texans to prove me wrong!). If we end up with a 8-8 record I will be happy considering the way we have started the season.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #95
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancunian View Post
Kubiak has done a great jon especially as we have 16 - 17 players on IR. And Andre missed 7 games.
They ain't on IR this year and AJ hasn't missed a game this year.......
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #96
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Ummm ....... okay .........
Old 09-22-2008   #97
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
They ain't on IR this year and AJ hasn't missed a game this year.......
He said that almost 9 months ago.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #98
maddogmrb
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
I'm not expecting the playoffs anymore this year(I would love for the Texans to prove me wrong!). If we end up with a 8-8 record I will be happy considering the way we have started the season.
Agreed, but probably optimistic at this point.

Eriadoc, I also mostly agree with your post but, I have to figure Schaub in the draft grade and make that a C and I can't give him more than a D for game planning at this point.
Old 09-23-2008   #99
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Damn skippy I'm optimistic. I just watched this city and surrounding area get punched right in the mouth. We are all picking ourselves up by the boot straps and getting back to work. The ones who aren't there yet, will be there soon...

I suspect that the Texans will do the same. They just go punched in the mouth, (not unlike many of suspected they would) and may take another shot or two in the next couple of weeks... Then the worm turns!! Book it!!!!!
Well, as comparisons go, the Texans have been manhandled the way Ike manhandled the city. Perhaps you're right. We'll see how this team responds in Jax, a team that we have traditionally played well. Let's just hope that we don't get an ass-kickin' next Sunday...

Just remember, the city and state brought in a lot of help from other places to get back up and running. It certainly was not done on our lonesome. Think the Cowboys could spare a few players?
Old 09-23-2008   #100
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Think the Cowboys could spare a few players?
You mean you want more than Jacques Reeves?
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read