Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Grade Kubiak's Performance This Year....
A 18 15.13%
B 80 67.23%
C 18 15.13%
D 3 2.52%
F 0 0%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2007   #61
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How Good of a Job Has Kubiak Done?

Ultimately I think a win against Jacksonville to close out the season will make me happy. I'm not at all pleased with the way we continue to lay eggs in games like we did today but to pull into the off-season with a .500 record after the year we've had will be an accomplishment.

Should he (Kubiak) fail to do so then I think you have to question what we're doing. Maybe you come to the conclusion that we should stay the course but I think you're not being realistic if you don't question anything short of an 8-8 record.

I can't bear to watch Gary stand at that podium and say "This ones on me guys..... (thumps podium with hand a few times) I didn't have them ready to play. Our "kids" (why does he insist on calling grown men "kids"?) fought and never gave up but I didn't have them ready or put them in a position to succeed"

I know the coach takes responsibility for what happens on the field but I don't want to hear the "I didn't have them ready" speech anymore. That's just complete bullshit. It's Gary Kubiak's JOB to have them ready to play and I don't see any one thing that disturbs me more than how utterly flat and directionless the Texans have been in a number of road games this year. We left wins on the table in Atlanta, and Cleveland along with two very close contests against the Titans. We damn near lost against Miami.

I understand injuries and I understand players who are young, new to the team, or starting for the first time. I make allowances for those things just like the rest of you. Those aren't the things that have killed us in 2007. We've lost games because we put the rock on the ground or throw the interception at the worst possible time. We've lost games because of dumb mistakes that quality coaching can control.

I don't think of the Colts games as "We're 1-10 against Peyton Manning. I think of them as "The Texans under Kubiak are 1-3 against the Manning-led Colts". If I'm Gary Kubiak and I've lost games up there by scores like 43-24 and 38-15 then I'm wanting some payback. If the need to kick the crap out of the Colts isn't just eating that man alive right now then I don't want him coaching my team. I'm betting it is.

Still I'm thinking "B" if they wrap up 8-8. Lose next week and I'll call it a "C" if it's a loss like today where they don't even show up.
Old 12-23-2007   #62
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets keep some perspective we are going to have at least a record equal to our best ever record.

If we go 7-9 at least we dropped the last two to playoff teams and not the awful Browns we lost to a few years ago to stop being 8-8.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007   #63
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Lets keep some perspective we are going to have at least a record equal to our best ever record.

If we go 7-9 at least we dropped the last two to playoff teams and not the awful Browns we lost to a few years ago to stop being 8-8.
Funny how crucial it was for no nothing team with a poor defense to be in position to draft an OLT canidate like Joe Thomas ? Colts with Ugoh. Never used the "C" word in connection with Ugoh...but seems prety lucky. Will say that was a prety good guess by the Colts. As long as the brownies have the OLT and the tractor at RB healthy, they have chance. I'd be careful 'bout launching the brownies into the chopped liver zone out of hand.
Old 12-26-2007   #64
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Funny how crucial it was for no nothing team with a poor defense to be in position to draft an OLT canidate like Joe Thomas ? Colts with Ugoh. Never used the "C" word in connection with Ugoh...but seems prety lucky. Will say that was a prety good guess by the Colts. As long as the brownies have the OLT and the tractor at RB healthy, they have chance. I'd be careful 'bout launching the brownies into the chopped liver zone out of hand.
He's talking about the Browns of a couple of years ago when they were chopped liver and we still laid down for them.
Old 12-26-2007   #65
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I give him a C right now. We are still a very inconsistent team making a LOT of stupid mistakes, and we have yet to win three games in a row.

I like Kubiak, so my grade has no bearing of a personal grudge. But he sticks with the run too long and has a bad habit of red flagging plays with a horrible successful overturn rate. His clock management is still a cause for concern, too.

We've got the injury problems to be sure, but that did not seem to stop us from playing good ball against the Bucs and Broncos. Unfortunately, he did not prepare us for Indy and we came out flat and uninspired.
Old 12-26-2007   #66
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I give him a C right now. We are still a very inconsistent team making a LOT of stupid mistakes, and we have yet to win three games in a row.

I like Kubiak, so my grade has no bearing of a personal grudge. But he sticks with the run too long and has a bad habit of red flagging plays with a horrible successful overturn rate. His clock management is still a cause for concern, too.

We've got the injury problems to be sure, but that did not seem to stop us from playing good ball against the Bucs and Broncos. Unfortunately, he did not prepare us for Indy and we came out flat and uninspired.
How funny. I think sometimes he gives up on the run too fast, making it easier to tee off on the passer.
Old 12-26-2007   #67
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:

team comes out flat too often, poor halftime adjustments for the O and D, and a horrible coaching staff merit Kubiak receiving a C- or a D+.

he is also outcoached on a nearly weekly basis and has yet to beat a quality team other than a flatlining Colts at the end of last season.
Old 12-26-2007   #68
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
How funny. I think sometimes he gives up on the run too fast, making it easier to tee off on the passer.
I'm agreeing with this. I have seldom seen Kubiak stick with the run too long, unless you think we just shouldn't bother trying to establish the run first.
Old 12-26-2007   #69
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans have beaten 1 team that is headed to the playoffs.

Only one of the Texans losses are to a team not in contention for the playoffs, as of week 17.

Are the Texans:

a) a team with little talent that is overachieving?
b) a team loaded with talent that is underachieving?
c) a team that has average talent and gives average performances?

I think the answer is (c). A believe a team with average talent that overachieved could have made the playoffs this season (see: Browns, Titans). This team didn't overachieve under Kubiak & staff, so they get a "C" from me.
Old 12-26-2007   #70
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

My grade on Kubiak is about a C to C-. Strong showing against the Jags on Sunday could bump things up to a C+. In my grading system, you need a strong B to consider your job safe. Being average doesn't get you to the playoffs, particarily in the AFC South.

The problem Kubiak has is that when he is playing a team with a winning record and good players, the Texans get their clocked clean on a regular basis. Throw in a very good coach, and Kubiak is toast!

I understand the injury issue. But he has conitually shown poor clock management and at times has called really bad plays. There is no creativity in his gameplans to make me think if he had the players, he could do anything with them anyway in a crunch during a big game.

Getting close to .500 by beating bad football teams does not provide much value in my book. Which is basically what Kubiak has done in 2 years. To some extent, I don't see much difference from last year except for a couple good games to give pause for consideration. But, the Texans soon get knocked back to Earth.

From what I see, the handwriting is on the wall with Kubiak, about 2 years and he is gone. McNair is going to have play it out but I just don't see Kubiak being up to the task to compete in the AFC South. I don't see how Kubiak is going to get above 8-8 in the next few years.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007   #71
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
My grade on Kubiak is about a C to C-. Strong showing against the Jags on Sunday could bump things up to a C+. In my grading system, you need a strong B to consider your job safe. Being average doesn't get you to the playoffs, particarily in the AFC South.

The problem Kubiak has is that when he is playing a team with a winning record and good players, the Texans get their clocked clean on a regular basis. Throw in a very good coach, and Kubiak is toast!

I understand the injury issue. But he has conitually shown poor clock management and at times has called really bad plays. There is no creativity in his gameplans to make me think if he had the players, he could do anything with them anyway in a crunch during a big game.

Getting close to .500 by beating bad football teams does not provide much value in my book. Which is basically what Kubiak has done in 2 years. To some extent, I don't see much difference from last year except for a couple good games to give pause for consideration. But, the Texans soon get knocked back to Earth.

From what I see, the handwriting is on the wall with Kubiak, about 2 years and he is gone. McNair is going to have play it out but I just don't see Kubiak being up to the task to compete in the AFC South. I don't see how Kubiak is going to get above 8-8 in the next few years.
i reluctantly agree with you on the emboldened text and basically your whole post. kubiak is 2nd rate and his assistants (aside from a few exceptions) are pretty underwhelming as a whole. i blame the late timing of Kubiak's hiring for a lot of it but Kubiak has to show that he can get more talented and proven successful people to work for him and not be afraid to hurt anyone's feelings. And McNair needs to show that he is willing to pay the top dollar which would almost put any prospective top coordinator in the same tax bracket as Kubiak himself.

Spend the money, Bob or just give Kubiak next year to prove a lot of us wrong and if he doesnt.....HIRE BILL COWHER...it just makes sense. he has a lot left in the tank and could finally help the Texans make a real splash in the NFL. With the amount of money that owners are getting from the TV deal, there is no excuse for an owner not spending the money on coaching. Whatever another team is offering any prospective hire, they need to add to the deal until its done. what would an extra $10 million in annual coaching salaries do to McNair and his bottom line? Nothing. He paid a lot for the team and God bless him for that, but it wasn't a philanthropic move (of which he has done a lot of), buying the Texans was a business move. He is just printing money in Reliant just like every other NFL owner...make no mistake.

Cowher would bring numerous people in far more qualified than our present coaching staff.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 12-26-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007   #72
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from, but it seems like he'll stick with a failed running game when we are down by three scores.

We started putting together a game plan against the Bucs and Broncos when we used the pass to set up the run, in the way the WCO was originally designed by Bill Walsh.

Our running game is garbage this season, so using it as a catalyst to springboard to the pass just seems myopic.
Old 12-26-2007   #73
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Texans have beaten 1 team that is headed to the playoffs.

Only one of the Texans losses are to a team not in contention for the playoffs, as of week 17.

Are the Texans:

a) a team with little talent that is overachieving?
b) a team loaded with talent that is underachieving?
c) a team that has average talent and gives average performances?

I think the answer is (c). A believe a team with average talent that overachieved could have made the playoffs this season (see: Browns, Titans). This team didn't overachieve under Kubiak & staff, so they get a "C" from me.
I am going to go with Option D - a team with little to average talent that is inconsistent. There have been games this year when they've played very well (Carolina before they lost Delhomme, Bucs, Broncos, etc.), poorly (Atlanta!, Miami), and average. I'm not sure where the first Colts game figures into that.

To say that the team has good talent (or maybe even average) is just not accurate. When Glenn Earl is your starting safety and then you have to go into scramble mode when he goes down, there's an indicator. We fans had some level of hopes pinned on Joe Freakin' Echemandu, for chrissakes. That said, there is some premium talent on the team to build with.

IMO, coaches very, very seldom win or lose games on Sunday. They win or lose games with their overall game plan, and even more importantly, with their personnel selections and development. Kubiak has done a good job with his overall game plan, especially given the lack of talent at many positions, not to mention injuries galore. Kubiak has done a good job identifying and drafting the players he wants. Rick Smith has done a fine job of finding guys that can patch holes (Maddox, Cochran, Echemandu, Demps, etc.). Kubiak has some role in that as well, of course. Compare how players have played and progressed under Kubiak with how players regressed under Capers. Kubiak is developing these players, and when he gets enough talent in place, they'll win games for him.

Kubiak has made mistakes in clock management, challenges, and similar areas, but I honestly can't think of one instance where it's cost us a game. I can think of many instances where a player's fumble, or QB interception, or dropped pass cost the team an opportunity to win. Players decide games. Coaches put those players in positons to win games. If our players had played this season with a positive turnover ratio this year, what would our record be? I can think of two games right off that would have been wins, and you can argue a few more.
Old 12-26-2007   #74
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Im giving Kubes a B. Weve had a lot of injury problems this year, no good consistent running attack and a lot of games were played without our starters on offense. I know we are going 7-9 and not 8-8, but Im still giving him a B.

Next year, however, he will not be getting such sympathy from me as I expect two of our three holes (listed below) to be somewhat plugged this offseason.

Offensive line
Running Back
Defensive backs

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007   #75
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have to say B . With all of our injuries this season he has done a good job of keeping things together IMO . He is a hundred times better than Dumb Capers . His clock management still needs some improvement . The only other thing he needs to work on is ............ stop challenging so much !!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007   #76
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Unfortunately, the door needs to be closed to the numbers affecting one's conclusions on this subject. All the numbers are in as of last game. We will not see the Jags coming out in full force and, therefore, a win this next Sunday will serve no real team test or real victory. It will give us an opportunity to give some players an opportunity to show their value to the organization for next year (almost like preseason). A win and an 8 and 8 season could give us a sense of false security........or should I say a worthless "moral victory." However, a loss to the Jags would call up more questions and doubts about the coaching, the players and the direction the team is taking as a whole is .
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007   #77
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from, but it seems like he'll stick with a failed running game when we are down by three scores.

We started putting together a game plan against the Bucs and Broncos when we used the pass to set up the run, in the way the WCO was originally designed by Bill Walsh.

Our running game is garbage this season, so using it as a catalyst to springboard to the pass just seems myopic.
I understand where you are coming from too. I just think when teams start realizing that the Texans are in all pass mode, they bring the house. Which makes it harder to pass and pass down field.
Old 12-27-2007   #78
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Kubiak has done a good job this year, mainly with all the injuries we have had. The Colts have also had injuries and still play exceptional (great job by Dungy), New England has pretty much been healthy. To do as well as those teams have you have to be good and lucky. We just haven't had much luck this year. One thing bothers me that I keep hearing as a knock against Kubiak... clock management. Clock management is primarily a QB responsibility. How many times do you see Manning or Brady look over to the coach and ask if the should clock it or call a timeout? The QB's are supposed to take control in the two minute drill, or at least that's the way I see it.
Old 12-27-2007   #79
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from too. I just think when teams start realizing that the Texans are in all pass mode, they bring the house. Which makes it harder to pass and pass down field.
This is true. Which begs the question of how much priority has Kubiak put on upgrading our o-line with two off-seasons and two drafts under his belt? It has been a primary issue from the first season on, but yet this franchise seems to think that a great line can be pieced together from other teams' rejects.

It's tough to judge just one season, as so much more is involved. I really wanted to give him a B, but I've seen too many flat performances and uninspired football from this year's team to just put it off on injuries and lack of talent. The inconsistency issue is one that I rank high for a head coach, because teaching fundamentals is part of coaching, too, even at the pro level when required. If we had just beaten even one division opponent (0-5 just sucks) or won 3 in a row this season, then I'd definitely give him a better grade. But our head coach has not changed some fundamental deficiencies on this team, and that's what I tend to expect from the big dog.
Old 12-27-2007   #80
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I gave a C.

Wins seem to come in the form of "trap games" where we sneak up on people. I don't think Champ Bailey was far off in his comments about us.

I think Haynesworth is as good of an analyst on us as he is a player playing against (His Schaub/Sage remarks).

We're an identity-less team, which I think stems from an identity-less head coach. When we're running over people, we go to the pass too much. When we are passing the ball well, we tend to try and run the ball. We're just unstable and schizo IMO. It's like we never game-planned against each team...we just show up, throw out some scripted plays to start the game and "go fishing" to see what we can do all day.

In contrast, other teams (quality teams) seem to come at us full-blast and it's as if they know what plays we're calling on both sides of the ball. That, to me, speaks volumes about our coaching: We're pretty predictable.

I'm just not feeling the same love I once felt for Kubiak. He did a good job of saving a sinking ship, but I don't think he's the guy to take us to the next level. I think he's a stop-gap guy who sets up the next coach to come in here and take us to the next level.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read