Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Grade Kubiak's Performance This Year....
A 18 15.13%
B 80 67.23%
C 18 15.13%
D 3 2.52%
F 0 0%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2007   #41
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How Good of a Job Has Kubiak Done?

I think the b to b minus range is about right. Kubiak's teams play hard and he has done a good job of designing the schemes in order that his most talented players (AJ, Ryans, Williams) perform at high levels. He has not used injuries as excuses and he and Rick smith improved the depth on this team increasing the possibility that the team could survive injury. His weaknesses have been surrounding in game management. Also, there are the handful of games where the team did not seem prepared. Overall, a solid job, but a higher grade, the texans would have had to exceeded expectations greatly. IMO, there are about where a good, not great coach should have the team.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #42
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
a few (6?) guys venting when we were struggling... what do most of them think now i wonder?
That's a good question. Where are the ones who were calling for Kubiak's head - or at least predicting that his tenure here would be up soon.

Having scanned that thread, you'd think we didn't stand a chance to win another game.

At least Vinny weighed in with a comment (no grade though, I noticed). Where are the rest of the critics?? If you still think he should be gone, say so. If you've changed your mind or decided to "give him an extension" let us know that too.

Here's another way to pose the "How's Kubiak done so far" question:

All things considered, who would have done better and why?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #43
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I think that is prety harsh. They had no cap space to speak of strating out. Up to you to figure what the tallent level was when they started. If your expecttions were too lofty, that there thing is your ablity to judge tallent and not Smith's and Kubiak's ablity to find it and coach it.

I gave them a "b" and since we're on the subject, it'd be a nice time for Mr. McNair to strut a little bit and pat Smith and Kubes on the back. I think we're out of the hell hole we were in.

There seems to be a minority consenus growing that Sage should be the Starting QB in '08...out of hand.

If that is indeed the case and we indeed squandered two twoes on MS, from my tree it would mean that that is Gary's second strike on QBs. And since the MS move cost us two front line straters
, in that sence, if the knee jerk guys like the little dingle berry Charlie Pallio are correct, he is indeed a "C". Banging him for not being able to manage the clock or pick a QB. But do not bang him for a mess he had no controll over. The tallent is what it is.
i think kubiak has obviously seen enough that he keeps saying schaub is his guy and i agree with him but thats not important... lets say your scenario plays out like that; would it be strike 2 to kubiak? i mean we'd have 2 quality, relatively cheap qb's

basically what im saying is who picked up sage again?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #44
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
i think kubiak has obviously seen enough that he keeps saying schaub is his guy and i agree with him but thats not important... lets say your scenario plays out like that; would it be strike 2 to kubiak? i mean we'd have 2 quality, relatively cheap qb's

basically what im saying is who picked up sage again?
Matt Schaub, if anything, was not cheap. When you look down the road a little bit and it's two 2nd rounders and 60mil$ later...how much better than Rosenfels was he? Only time will tell, hopefully not a lot of time. I would hate to see another five year QB experiment that didn't work out.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #45
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Matt Schaub, if anything, was not cheap. When you look down the road a little bit and it's two 2nd rounders and 60mil$ later...how much better than Rosenfels was he? Only time will tell, hopefully not a lot of time. I would hate to see another five year QB experiment that didn't work out.
yeah he was cheap- 7mil gar and backloaded (and performance i assume) contract... look at what russell among others cost
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #46
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
That's a good question. Where are the ones who were calling for Kubiak's head - or at least predicting that his tenure here would be up soon.

Having scanned that thread, you'd think we didn't stand a chance to win another game.

At least Vinny weighed in with a comment (no grade though, I noticed). Where are the rest of the critics?? If you still think he should be gone, say so. If you've changed your mind or decided to "give him an extension" let us know that too.

Here's another way to pose the "How's Kubiak done so far" question:
[*]All things considered, who would have done better and why?
I'm not sure how I'd grade the team. As time goes by and we can see the totality of the year I'd say Kubiak had some growing pains but the team overcame some really rotten football from the middle of the season. Part of that blame of that bad football play went to Kubiak and most of the encouraging signs the team has exhibited the last few weeks need to go to Kubiak also. I certainly wouldn't give him an "A" and I think that if the team was still playing as poorly as it played earlier in the year I'd have to give them a "D", but they have played well at times so all I'm left with is a "B" and a "C".

Since Kubiak is still a young coach making mistakes on the job and apparently learning from them I'd have to dish out the "B". He is now 30 games into his new job so next year he doesn't get any room for noobness.

Points for the "B":
  • offensive passing scheme clearly works with a good QB
  • he was right about his wr group
  • the line gave up less sacks with a real QB running the show
  • players are playing hard with no playoffs to play for
  • injuries - managed to get his reserves to play at a high level
Points for a "C"
  • running game. Signing an old back with injury concerns...the running game regressed this season
  • seemed to be outcoached in a few games mid season
  • the team can't seem to score TD's after halftime adjustments from the opponent
  • inconsistent play - at times the team hasn't played as physical as I'd like to see but I think that is mostly a defensive observation...but the last few weeks I've perceived that the team has been more physical and more assertive.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #47
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'm not sure how I'd grade the team. As time goes by and we can see the totality of the year I'd say Kubiak had some growing pains but the team overcame some really rotten football from the middle of the season. Part of that blame of that bad football play went to Kubiak and most of the encouraging signs the team has exhibited the last few weeks need to go to Kubiak also. I certainly wouldn't give him an "A" and I think that if the team was still playing as poorly as it played earlier in the year I'd have to give them a "D", but they have played well at times so all I'm left with is a "B" and a "C".

Since Kubiak is still a young coach making mistakes on the job and apparently learning from them I'd have to dish out the "B". He is now 30 games into his new job so next year he doesn't get any room for noobness.

Points for the "B":
  • offensive passing scheme clearly works with a good QB
  • he was right about his wr group
  • the line gave up less sacks with a real QB running the show
  • players are playing hard with no playoffs to play for
  • injuries - managed to get his reserves to play at a high level
Points for a "C"
  • running game. Signing an old back with injury concerns...the running game regressed this season
  • seemed to be outcoached in a few games mid season
  • the team can't seem to score TD's after halftime adjustments from the opponent
  • inconsistent play - at times the team hasn't played as physical as I'd like to see but I think that is mostly a defensive observation...but the last few weeks I've perceived that the team has been more physical and more assertive.
A very fair-minded assessment. Fair points all. And now you know why I gave him a "B-".

Too many minuses to give him a solid B. You listed some of them under your logic for a C. I would add sticking with Petey Faggins as long as he did and waiting so long to play Darius Walker to that list. The kid seems to be just the kind of patient, set-up-your-blocking RB his zone blocking scheme calls for.

On the other hand, he has his boys playing hard enough to overcome a lot of stuff (injuries and often sucky officiating - let's not forget that) that would have caused a team with a lesser HC to head straight into the tank. That's better than "C" level work IMO. So he get's a B- from me.
Sponsored links
Old 12-23-2007   #48
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

ok, perhaps C+ after today? We still got our rear ends handed to us after halftime adjustments...Kubiak gets outcoached at times it seems.

Old 12-23-2007   #49
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ok, perhaps C+ after today? We still got our rear ends handed to us after halftime adjustments...Kubiak gets outcoached at times it seems.
true vinny true

but we do well with the scripted plays
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #50
Ckw

Maybe it's just me but I put this game on some other things. Sure some of it is Kubiak's fault but I place much more blame on the following:

1. Sage's 3 INTs
2. The unnecessary roughness call after Mario's sack on TJ
3. The no call when Kalu was obviously held and would have drilled Manning on their second drive of the game. This was the turning point.

Was Kubiak great? No. But can I put all of the blame on him when everytime something looked like it might get going, Sage would throw an INT. Kubiak's fault? In my opinion, no.
Old 12-23-2007   #51
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Maybe it's just me but I put this game on some other things. Sure some of it is Kubiak's fault but I place much more blame on the following:

1. Sage's 3 INTs
2. The unnecessary roughness call after Mario's sack on TJ
3. The no call when Kalu was obviously held and would have drilled Manning on their second drive of the game. This was the turning point.

Was Kubiak great? No. But can I put all of the blame on him when everytime something looked like it might get going, Sage would throw an INT. Kubiak's fault? In my opinion, no.
Citing the refs for a loss is kind of a cop out. Mario overcame holding plenty in the Denver game.

Honestly, we handed the game to the Colts in a pretty package with a nice red bow on top of it. We did not take care of the football, and we did not do anything to stop Manning from being Manning.

We need to stop with the silly turnovers, and I hope that next season we are able to post a decent turnover ratio.
Old 12-23-2007   #52
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
We need to stop with the silly turnovers, and I hope that next season we are able to post a decent turnover ratio.
playing from behind alot leads to many of our picks.

Old 12-23-2007   #53
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
playing from behind alot leads to many of our picks.
But we weren't really in play from behind mode I think until after the 1st pick.

After that who knows what mode we went into.

It seems like the offense leaves the defense hanging on terrible field position (For our defense) quite a bit. It also seems like they can put together a long string of 3 and outs which will never let a defense rest.
Old 12-23-2007   #54
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
But we weren't really in play from behind mode I think until after the 1st pick.

After that who knows what mode we went into.

It seems like the offense leaves the defense hanging on terrible field position (For our defense) quite a bit. It also seems like they can put together a long string of 3 and outs which will never let a defense rest.
You're right...I'm just saying in general. Rosenfels would have had 4 or 5 picks if the defenders hung on to the ball today.

Old 12-23-2007   #55
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
You're right...I'm just saying in general. Rosenfels would have had 4 or 5 picks if the defenders hung on to the ball today.
Honestly we just can't ask our backup QB to gunsling us out of a hole. He's pretty solid at keeping a decent hold on a lead.

Once we fell behind after the first Colts touchdown, I got that sinking "We're in trouble" feeling.
Old 12-23-2007   #56
Ckw

Quote:
Citing the refs for a loss is kind of a cop out. Mario overcame holding plenty in the Denver game.
I agree man. But football and sports in general are typically a series of events all connected together that determines the outcome of the game. The Colts second drive of the game sealed our fate. Then when the offense came out and did nothing after the Indy TD, the game was almost over. Then Indy scored again. So yes, in my opinion, the Colts second drive determined the game's outcome. And I don't think it's a cop out to say a bull crap 15 yd unnecessary roughness call greatly hurt us. The game is about momentum. At that point, we lost it.
Old 12-23-2007   #57
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
He got outcoached by Tony Dungy. There's a whole list of folks in that group.

their QB is Peyton Manning, Perennial Pro-Bowler.
ours is Sage Rosenfels. Career Back-up.

their RB is Joseph Addai, 1st rd pick and (if they had been really objective) ORoY last season
Our RB is an undrafted F/A who got cut and was brought back out of desparation

I could go on....
Let's just say that we've got a ways to go yet before we can go into their place and expect to win.
Old 12-23-2007   #58
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll own it. very dissapointed. Manning put in a full day @ the office, ran thru reads & executed the game plan flawlessly

It would certainly be easy to rake Kubiak & the Texans effort but I'm going to stay classy. they are what they are (gotta change that thing up a bit) a team in process taking baby steps to becoming a team capable of winning in the NFL not just the doormat we saw today. what happened? we played against the defending Super Bowl Champions & one of the probable AFC Championship game teams (not ready to give New England a win just yet) keeping sharp in rhythm for the playoffs.

How Kubiak reacts from today will be crucial to his second year grade. lets wait & see how they respond against Jacksonville next Sunday in Relient. If the Kubiak/Texans stay positive, play their butts off, compete & win (or not) then I will maintain the season has been a success (or at least on track).
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #59
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

This is where my Newt post was supposed to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007   #60
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

How Kubiak reacts from today will be crucial to his second year grade. lets wait & see how they respond against Jacksonville next Sunday in Relient. If the Kubiak/Texans stay positive, play their butts off, compete & win (or not) then I will maintain the season has been a success (or at least on track).
I vote for "on track".

Truth is, as TexanMike keeps reminding us, we're climbing up the ladder but we aren't there yet. I think we're in the middle of the pack when you consider the entire NFL. Unfortunately, we are in the toughest division of the entire NFL.

And it seems like some of y'all have conveniently chosen to forget, a) that our secondary sucked BEFORE everyone got hurt and
b) their QB is Peyton Manning who basically "grew up" in that offensive scheme and makes a living torching secondaries much better than ours.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read