Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-08-2004   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What if SD beats us Sunday ?

SD beating us would be much more likely than us beating Miami in their opener
last year (before the fact of course). Afterall, this is the NFL - everybody is really good, any given Sunday, etc. You don't get any pud openers in this league like Oklahoma, Texas, and others in college do. Would we feel devastated
with a loss, soured for the whole season. Or would it be "We'll get them next week in Detroit", this is just a small setback in the long range plan ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #2
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

The fans will cry on this MB if we lose to the Chargers. The Fire Palmer thread will be 10 pages long. Someone will mention that Carr will have to go another year before cutting his hair. It will be ugly.

The Bolts have a good up-and-coming secondary, a stud back, and a rookie QB with some talent. Fortunately for us, they are very weak on the D-line and O-line. Their LB's are nothing to write home about either. They do have some young talented TE's and WR's. I personally think they are underrated. This team won't have a winning record, though, until they improve their two lines.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #3
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Then you get ready for Detroit.

If you allow one loss, especially the first game, to ruin your season you don't have much of a team anyway. I know it happens but not to good teams. Those teams just regroup and get about their business.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #4
SESupergenius

San Diego pounded us before, no reason they couldn't do it again.
Old 09-08-2004   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
San Diego pounded us before, no reason they couldn't do it again.
The Chargers return 6 starters from the 2002, week 2 game. The Texans return 12.

These aren't the same teams that will be playing Sunday. While any team in the NFL can win on a given Sunday, I can't see San Diego pounding anyone this year.
Old 09-08-2004   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, have you seen the ending to The South Park Movie? Something like that would happen if we lost to SD. A gaping hole would create itself from hell to lead an undead army on us. So it would be better if we won.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #7
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
Well, have you seen the ending to The South Park Movie? Something like that would happen if we lost to SD. A gaping hole would create itself from hell to lead an undead army on us. So it would be better if we won.
That is what the Dolphins thought last year when we went there.
Sponsored links
Old 09-08-2004   #8
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What if a frog had wings?

What if the sky was falling?

Whats with the what if, Get real man, Get real TEXAN
Old 09-08-2004   #9
TexanDave
Veteran

Rep Power: 880 TexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be very disappointed if we lost to the Chargers but win or lose, one game won't make or break our season. There will be games we lose that we should have won and there will be games we win that we should have lost.
TexanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #10
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 42196 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Tell ya what, all we can do as fans is be as loud as we can and work that home field atmosphere. All the TEXANS can do is their job and not overlook anyone, any week. Have the faith in the coaches and players

I'm sure both groups (fans and players) will do the best we can and make it a helluva season opening regardless.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #11
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanDave
I would be very disappointed if we lost to the Chargers but win or lose, one game won't make or break our season. There will be games we lose that we should have won and there will be games we win that we should have lost.
I follow this line of thought. Honestly, it's gonna suck if we lose to San Diego to put it succinctly. On the other hand, it will in no way ruin the season. There's atleast 16 games to be played, this is only number 1.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #12
Ben
Rookie

I agree with what most have said thus far. I think we're going to win on Sunday but if we don't, move the hell on. It's just one game and that's what being a professional organization is all about.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #13
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
The Chargers return 6 starters from the 2002, week 2 game. The Texans return 12.

These aren't the same teams that will be playing Sunday. While any team in the NFL can win on a given Sunday, I can't see San Diego pounding anyone this year.

True Points, we were a young team on its first road game verses a very veterian defense. This year it is the total opposite, we have the experience in the trenchs, and they don't. So it is possible, anything is possible in the NFL, but I don't see it happening. And if it does, look out Detroit you going to have some upset Texans on their hands.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I will say this. We have the best coach in the league, in my opinion, when it comes to opening day games. Any coach that can get his team who never played before, or goes to another stadium where the opponent hasn't lost an opening day game in nearly a decade is you coach, you can win alot of opening day games.

My point is, Capers will have us prepared and ready to win. I am sure the rest of the team also remembers what happened the last time we met with the Chargers and they remember what happened the last time they were looked over. That is really what comforts me. Other than that, I want our defense to show up big in this game because contrary to what some believe, Brees has and can play winning football.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #15
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I wonder if NE thought the season was over after losing to Buffalo in the opener last year. Professionals know how to approach that kind of setback.
Old 09-08-2004   #16
geofb
Veteran

If we lose to SD, starting the season 0-3 would then be a distinct possibility...not pretty.
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

In the two years the Texans have been playing I've seen 23 losses. One more on Sunday against the Chargers won't drastically alter my world much. The past two seasons we've started with a big win and ended with a "death march" towards the end of the year. I'd gladly trade the expected win against San Diego for a 3-1 last quarter of the season. Gladly.

It's a game we can win. Capers usually has the Texans ready to play in week 1. We (and the Chargers) are going to be seeing DD for 4 quarters and he's looked great this year in the limited amount of time he's been out there. Carr has also been sharp. I expect a win. Don't worry about a loss until it happens and then put it past you. 16 games is a long season and week one means very little by the end of it. Sure you might look back and say "Man, if we'd just taken care of business against San Diego then we'd have finished at 8-8 for the first time (or 9-7, dare I say 10-6 and in the playoffs) but it's not something to dwell on. The Patriots I believe looked terrible last year on opening day against the Bills but the Bills were watching those same Patriots win another Super Bowl when it was all over so don't put too much stock in it.

It's not a problem though because we're winning that game.
Old 09-08-2004   #18
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

I think we beat the Chargers to start the season and end with a win against the Browns. What happens in between is anyone's guess. I'm realistically hoping for an 8-8 season.
Old 09-08-2004   #19
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

If San Diego beats us Sunday....I'll be really pissed!

Then again....maybe that will break our bad luck since we start the season with a bang and end it with dissapointment.

Maybe this year if we start bad.....we might end it on a positive note....playoffs anyone?
Old 09-08-2004   #20
Doug
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTexans08
If San Diego beats us Sunday....I'll be really pissed!

Then again....maybe that will break our bad luck since we start the season with a bang and end it with dissapointment.

Maybe this year if we start bad.....we might end it on a positive note....playoffs anyone?
I agree. We've started the last two years with a win and didn't have much of a season. Maybe if we lose the first game we'll do great.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read