Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-21-2007   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 89729 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Drafted to slow Peyton Manning, Texans' Mario Williams hasn't yet

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stori...71221231.shtml

Quote:
"He's an excellent player," Manning said. "He's really playing at a high level -- really kind of took over the Broncos game himself in a lot of ways and put a lot of pressure on their passing game."

Williams hopes to get that kind of pressure on Manning this week when the Texans look to win their eighth game for the first time in franchise history. He said Manning and the Colts present a number of different challenges.

"It's just the whole thing," he said. "It's the offensive line and it's him just knowing the scheme of things and getting rid of the ball," Williams said.

Last season, Williams wasn't comfortable enough to be moved around on the line and preferred to stay at right defensive end. As he's gained confidence this season, coaches have been able to shuffle him around and create more problems for opponents.

"Last year, there was so much stuff thrown at me and now I'm just a lot more comfortable," Williams said. "So it's just something that I've gotten accustomed to doing and I like doing it. Everything's pretty good right now."

Indianapolis coach Tony Dungy said he thinks Williams will win over fans who wanted the team to draft Vince Young or Reggie Bush. Dungy even compared him to his star defensive end Dwight Freeney.

"He has played outstanding football the last seven, eight games that we just looked at here and I'm sure that's what everybody envisioned," Dungy said. "That type of play helps you win championships. No question about it. He's giving them the type of impact that Dwight gave us with our first pick when I was here."

Coach Gary Kubiak said Williams is enjoying himself, and that he's so excited in practice he often asks to take scout team snaps.

"He loves to do it," Kubiak said. "It makes our offensive line guys mad, but that's a good thing. He's getting really comfortable with who he is as a pro and where he's headed with his career. It's not hard for him out here anymore. He loves practice. That's the key to being a great player."
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Drafted to slow Peyton Manning, Texans' Mario Williams hasn't yet

i would certainly hope the Texans didn't take a player #1 overall for 2 games a season.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

AP article.

Actually, Mario Williams had a lot to do with the Texans win last year.

The Texans had a hard time slowing down the Colts offense, but IIRC, Mario was responsible for a fumble recovery as the Colts were driving. In a game decided by a last second field goal, I figure that has something to do with that victory.

Oh well, pesky details.
Old 12-21-2007   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
i would certainly hope the Texans didn't take a player #1 overall for 2 games a season.
Well duh.

If you can disrupt Peyton Manning, you can pretty much disrupt anybody in the league. And if you can't beat Manning, well then you ain't likely getting out of the AFC South any time soon.
Old 12-21-2007   #5
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Well duh.

If you can disrupt Peyton Manning, you can pretty much disrupt anybody in the league. And if you can't beat Manning, well then you ain't likely getting out of the AFC South any time soon.
Unless there is a drastic change in the division, if the Texans are able to thrive in the AFC South then they will be a darn good football team capable of doing somethings in the playoffs.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 89729 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Indy star article

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...2210370&theme=

Quote:
Mario Williams kept conference-call answers brief a day after being passed over for the Pro Bowl.

"I'm pretty much not worried about it," said the Houston Texans defensive end and 2006 No. 1 overall draft pick, whose 13 sacks rank second in the NFL. "I thought it was more of a production thing, but obviously that's not the case.
"I was criticized so much last year about how many sacks I had, things like that, and then I come out and I have 13 sacks now and it's like no big deal."
The draft selection of Williams and his rookie output of 41/2 sacks prompted fan outcry about why the rebuilding franchise didn't choose Texas quarterback Vince Young or USC running back Reggie Bush.
A year later, Williams is coming on with a vengeance as he prepares for Sunday's game in Indianapolis. Dubbed "Super Mario," the right end has nine sacks in the past five games, including a dominating 31/2-sack effort the last start against Denver.
Meanwhile, Bush put up so-so numbers for New Orleans before he was sidelined this season by a knee injury, and Young has been an inconsistent passer at best for Tennessee.
The Texans appear to have chosen wisely.
"I said that last year when he got picked," Colts coach Tony Dungy said of Williams. "I remember Joe Greene wasn't a real popular pick (with Pittsburgh in 1969). There were a lot of offensive players that people wanted to be taken, and Joe didn't have a national presence at that time."
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #7
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

that's some decent praise when tony dungy compares you to joe greene and dwight freeney.
Old 12-21-2007   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Dungy has always been really high on Mario and it wouldn't surprise me if the Colts were one of the teams that had Mario at the top of the draft board.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #9
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

If Indy DOES win this one. They will have earned it.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007   #10
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 59 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected

From the sound of it, Mario is really pissed, and I think it will reflect in his play. Expect another 2+ sack performance. If not, I expect him to rattle Peyton all day. Yes, I know it's Peyton, but I have a feeling Mario is gonna play angry.
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Dungy has always been really high on Mario and it wouldn't surprise me if the Colts were one of the teams that had Mario at the top of the draft board.
thats an astute observation
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Well we all know Bill Parsells and his team at the time,the Dallas Cowboys, had
Mario at the top of their Board because Parsells said so himself on ESPN earlier
this year in September.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007   #13
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
your logic is sound, but it doesn't let mario off the hook. the fact is, he needs to figure out that colts o-line.
Old 12-22-2007   #14
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Well we all know Bill Parsells and his team at the time,the Dallas Cowboys, had
Mario at the top of their Board because Parsells said so himself on ESPN earlier
this year in September.
In fact, I heard Parcells say this several times around these parts even before that. Of course, this could have turned into a Bill and Jerry battle as I am not sure that Jerry could have passed on the marketing aspects of Bush or Young.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read