Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2004   #41
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Since we're thinking about the Jets this week, I think the Texans will make another run at Lamont Jordan in March. They've tried twice before.

Last edited by aj.; 12-02-2004 at 05:55 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004   #42
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
If the Colts pay Edge top 3 money, Harrison is as good as gone. I don't see how they could afford Manning's contract and pay Edge top 3 money.
i hope they dont, but the truth is edge gas every right to ask for it. it all depends on what edge and marvin want that will determine if edge becomes a free agent
Youngstown Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004   #43
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Since we're thinking about the Jets this week, I think the Texans will make another run at Lamont Jordan in March. They've tried twice before.
this approach is the one I like best...lower mileage guy at a good price instead overpaying for a lot of mileage.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004   #44
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

why isn't anyone talking about shaun alexander rather than edgerrin james. shaun alexander is much better than edge and the seahawks are in a similar problem with shaun alexander, matt hasselbeck, and walter jones.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004   #45
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

alexander better than james?!? do explain. is alexander the all time leader in avg yards from scrimmage per game? no, thats james. fantasy football isnt real football, if it was, alexander would be the better back. watch how many times edge makes something from nothing, and how many times alexander goes down after one hit.
Old 12-02-2004   #46
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
alexander better than james?!? do explain
Well an argument can certainly be made. In a year to year and a half less playing time:

James 4.2 ypc, 48 TD's, 35 runs over 20 yards and 27 fumbles

Alexander 4.4 ypc, 56 TD's, 39 runs over 20 yards and 15 fumbles
Old 12-02-2004   #47
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Well an argument can certainly be made. In a year to year and a half less playing time:

James 4.2 ypc, 48 TD's, 35 runs over 20 yards and 27 fumbles

Alexander 4.4 ypc, 56 TD's, 39 runs over 20 yards and 15 fumbles
Honestly, for the style that the Texans play, I think alexander is a better fit. The biggest question i have heard concerning him are questions of whether he runs hard a the time. Outside of that he is effective at the goal line, catches the ball out of the backfield, and has been healthy for a RB.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2004   #48
PlanoColt
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
The problem is that Indy cannot afford Marvin Harrison AND Edgerrin James next year. Harrison is one of the top 3-4 WR's in the league. James is a good back but not one of the top 3-4. It is easier to find a good RB than a top 5 WR. Plus RB's usually don't require much time to develop, whereas WR can be one of the slower developing positions on the team.
how do you know they can't afford both? they'll be fine as far as the salary cap goes (cap numbers are low for new salaries, and manning's cap hit is still low next year). their only issue is bonus money, and if that's the case they'll franchise one (whichever would be cheaper for the year), and sign the other to a long term contract.. then the year after that, they can sign the other to a long term contract.
PlanoColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #49
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

As far as Alexander, here's a few quotes from a Seattle writer I contacted yesterday (I asked him for his gut feel on Alexander's future with the Hags):

"My gut tells me he's gone. for a couple reasons. 1. shaun would like a bigger spotlight. 2. the seahawks have 14 unrestricted free agents, and their offense isn't predicated on a great running back, although his play this season makes that decision, much, much tougher. 3. he's not holmgren's top guy, although he could be sliding up the list.

Bottom line: i wouldn't be shocked either way. but if you want my gut, he's gone."

I'm surprised at a couple of the things he said.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #50
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks AJ. Good stuff. I to am shocked that he is counting Alexander among the gone. He is a pretty darn good back and most teams wouldn't let him get away. If it comes to that, I say we should take a look. Probably will come with a REALLY high $$$$$ amount to get though.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #51
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoColt
how do you know they can't afford both? they'll be fine as far as the salary cap goes (cap numbers are low for new salaries, and manning's cap hit is still low next year). their only issue is bonus money, and if that's the case they'll franchise one (whichever would be cheaper for the year), and sign the other to a long term contract.. then the year after that, they can sign the other to a long term contract.
The problem is that the Colts need to get better on defense. That has been your Achille's heal. If you wrap all of your money into Manning, Harrison, and James, there won't be much (if anything) left for the defense. Manning is clearly the best QB in the NFL right now. The offense will be there. The defense HAS to get better if you want to get past the Patriots on a consistent basis.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #52
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Colts will keep James. Shift Wayne to #1, draft a #2, and stick Stokely in the slot.

2nd round pick: Chris Henry from West Virginia, or Terrence Murphy out of aTm.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #53
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

That is nuts.

Harrison > James
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #54
PlanoColt
Rookie

Quote:
The problem is that the Colts need to get better on defense. That has been your Achille's heal. If you wrap all of your money into Manning, Harrison, and James, there won't be much (if anything) left for the defense. Manning is clearly the best QB in the NFL right now. The offense will be there. The defense HAS to get better if you want to get past the Patriots on a consistent basis.
the colts defense IS getting better. over the 2nd half of the season, they are 9th in total defense as opposed to 31st over the 1st half. they lead the league in turnover ratio at +17, and have 2 guys close to the top in sacks. they have alot of the personnel they need on defense. some guys have been injured, and they need one more draft to address the linebacker (especially mlb) and other corner position. they are in great shape at all other defensive positions. their other biggest problem is that they were young and inexperienced. with the increased experience, it's now making a difference. so with that said, they can afford to keep the big 3 and have a good defense. it's just taken some time to get all of dungy's pieces in place there.
Old 12-03-2004   #55
PlanoColt
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuno
The Colts are not dumb enough to give a top 10 RB, top 3 Money. He may ask for it, but he aint getting it unless he wants to play for the Bears.
uh, edge is a top 3 rb. as a matter of fact, he's #2 in the nfl in rushing right now. only 4 yards behind alexander. and he's a better receiver out of the backfield than alexander (334 receiving yards to 103 for alexander).. so I would say he's the best all around back in the nfl right now. it would be between him and LT, but I think edge is a better rusher than LT. he's also one of the best blocking backs in the nfl. so yeah, they will give him top 3 money, because he IS a top 3 running back.
Old 12-03-2004   #56
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That is nuts.

Harrison > James
Is that so?

Rushing Yards .
1186 yards. Not to mention his 334 recieving yards.
#2 in NFL - Edge James

Recieving Yards.
764 Yards
#18 in NFL - Marvin Harrison
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #57
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I totally agree with you on this one AJ Lamont Jordan would be a great pick-up, Texans fans watch him closely (although it may hurt this week) he may show out just a little extra in front of one of his suitors
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #58
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
I think the Colts will keep James. Shift Wayne to #1, draft a #2, and stick Stokely in the slot.

2nd round pick: Chris Henry from West Virginia, or Terrence Murphy out of aTm.
chris henry? no thanks, i dont think we need any headcases on this team. but there is talk that the salary cap is going to increase next year, giving the colts more room to make moves. im completely confident the triplets will return next year
Old 12-04-2004   #59
Supertex
Rookie

James in my opinion would be a good addition. But only if the price is right. DD is still young and getting better so I really dont see EJ coming to us. I more or less see him running next year for either the Titans or the dolphins. Either way I will always support the texans. I beleive we should keep our rookies together because in a matter of time they will be a essential team.
Old 12-04-2004   #60
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
i dont think we need any headcases on this team.

Yeah, I'd hate to see Colts players do headcase things like wear Ron Artest jerseys around and talk about what a misunderstood guy he is....
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read