Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-21-2004   #1
geka
Veteran

Default coaches loose another game for us

How these guys will still have a job in the morning blows my mind
geka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004   #2
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

4 of those runs were audibles by Carr, that is not on the coaches...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004   #3
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Arent audibles (regardless of how bad they are) to get out of BAD plays???

And those audibles in the 4th quarter still dont explain what like 60 yards of offense in the 2nd half? Total meltdown and playing not to lose the lead yet again. We have some of the DUMBest coaches when it comes to football. And Im not one of those bandwagon FIRE HIM guys, I know a bad half of football when I see it.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Its execution. I dont care if you call an up the gut play, if you execute properly, you can get a ton of yards.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004   #5
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

yeah well the coaches give carr the audible play options, ok its not like he's manning and can just pick whatever play he wants, that audible was decided by the coach incase carr didnt like what he saw ! Our coaches suck, carr only threw the ball like 10 times in the second half !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004   #6
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

The absolute worst rushing plays were AUDIBLES. The coaches are not at fault for that. Carr needs to show some guts and stick to the play, and/or Palmer needs to add some options that aren't 1-yard loss handoffs.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004   #7
geka
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
who sets up the audibles that Carr has to call?

thats right its the coaches fire them all
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2004   #8
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

My guess is Carr audibled into runs because he saw that all of his receivers would be well covered, so he switched it to a run just so we get positive yardage...That is purely speculation, though...Either way, we were outcoached and when that happens, it's time for a change...
Old 11-21-2004   #9
geka
Veteran

Anyways the fact that DD is still playing by its self means coaches heads need to roll
Old 11-21-2004   #10
phan1
All Pro

...sigh... I'm just still in shock.....

One thing is for sure, we are a team based on the perofrmance of Carr. We don't have a 3&out defense. Our offense has to at least get good yards and win the battle of field position. If you look at some of our wins, we constantly pinned the opponent back on their side of the field and forced them to go the whole way of the field to score. We really fizzled out at the end offensively. Two straight 3&outs aren't going to win many games. Right now, Carr literally has to go out and win games for us, and that's a big problem. Someone needs to help him out here!

And yeah... Our running game sucks.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004   #11
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
Its execution. I dont care if you call an up the gut play, if you execute properly, you can get a ton of yards.
So why are coaches ever fired then?

Yes, it would be great if we could execute the plays. The problem is that our current personnel can't do that. We are simply not that good at run blocking and we do not have one starting quality running back on this roster right now. It is up to the coaches to recognize this, however, and play to the offense's strength (like in the Minnesota game) - throwing the football. And yes, Carr did make some horrible audibles, but Capers should be screaming at him on the bench after he does it.

In an ideal world, you'd have a 50/50 run/pass ratio to keep teams off balance. The reality, however, is that this team can't be effective doing that. The great coaches know how to shift the gameplan to suit the strengths of their offense, even if it makes things a little unorthodox. Unfortunately, this staff has shown no ability to tailor a gameplan to our personnel. It's all very generic. It's certainly not the worst coaching job of the league, but there have been enough mistakes this year to ponder making a couple of changes, particularly on offense.
DomDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004   #12
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

and oh lord dont try to take johnnson long even ONCE, instead run it up the gut the whole second half with an ineffective running game !
Old 11-21-2004   #13
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 6809 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

What really got me is the route AJ was running on a critical 3rd and 5 play late in the game. Why in the world would you run your star receiver on a route 3 yards shy of a first down in that situation? As for the playcalling, I don't know enough about it to comment on it, but it looks to me like defenses are having a real easy time figuring us out lately. Two questions came to mind after the game : Why isn't Derrick Armstrong starting? When will Tony Hollings start? Armstrong has made a solid case for himself as a #3 guy, and I think it's time Hollings start de-greening himself as a running back.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004   #14
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

hollings would of been in there but it seemes he is less durible than davis is , he's always hurt !
Old 11-21-2004   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Aren't the audibles given to Carr by the coaches? Aren't they a subset of plays that he is allowed to audible to? And finally have the Houston Texans ever in their short history audibled to anything other than a vanilla run to the left or (mixing things up to keep the defense honest) the right?

I'm trying very hard to recall a single time I've seen the Texans audible to a pass. Just because I can't remember it doesn't mean it doesn't happen of course but the fact that I can't remember it tells me that it doesn't happen often enough. I've watched all three seasons more times than I can count and audibles to a pass just don't come to me. If I know that an audible has a 99% chance of being a run between the tackles you can bet that defensive coordinators around the league have worked that out as well.
Old 11-21-2004   #16
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Aren't the audibles given to Carr by the coaches? Aren't they a subset of plays that he is allowed to audible to? And finally have the Houston Texans ever in their short history audibled to anything other than a vanilla run to the left or (mixing things up to keep the defense honest) the right?

I'm trying very hard to recall a single time I've seen the Texans audible to a pass. Just because I can't remember it doesn't mean it doesn't happen of course but the fact that I can't remember it tells me that it doesn't happen often enough. I've watched all three seasons more times than I can count and audibles to a pass just don't come to me. If I know that an audible has a 99% chance of being a run between the tackles you can bet that defensive coordinators around the league have worked that out as well.

thank you thats what i've been trying to tell people,,,the coaches give carr options, unlike manning where he can change it into a hail marry if he wants,,,the runs carr audibled into were chosen by the coaches ! So coaches fault again !
Old 11-21-2004   #17
Rightnow
Veteran

I have been quiet about the coaches this year, but clearly there is a problem. FOUR end-arounds! FOUR! What kind of high school play calling is this!

If we don't win six games, this whole organization needs a look. We HAVE to get better this year or heads should roll.
Rightnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004   #18
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Vinny, very simply no comment. They have all said it better than me!!!! Good Night!
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Why bring me into this? You guys can point fingers till you are blue in the face if you want. Just leave me out of it.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004   #20
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Actually, I'm amazed by your silence. I think this was a hard game for everyone to take. I think this was a back breaker and I think the rest of the season will be down hill. A lot of people gave their best, particularly on defense, but it simply wasn't enough. I think the coaching staff will find it hard to motivate this team from this point on. Farve had a lot of time and Carr did not. Its the same old story. If this is the best the O-line can do, then I don't know what we can do next year. I don't think you can get a new O-line in one year and we will only have the normal amount of draft picks next year. I think we have a real problem trying to change personnel. I really would like to hear your thoughts, because either our personnel are really bad or the coaches are. May be its somewhere in between. But something has to change to make this a better ball club.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read