Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-18-2007   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default With playoff chances gone, why play injured Players ?

"Schaub, 26, is contemplating offseason surgery on his shoulder, but he refuses to give up on the sliver of hope that he can play in the final two games of this season."
"Ryans injured his right knee against Tampa Bay when he tore his posterior cruciate ligament."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5386034.html
Both these guys still want to play this year, which is admirable.
But why not get them their surgeries and on the road to recovery for the 2008 season instead of risking further injury in meaningless games in the remainder of this season ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #2
grinch1134
Veteran

Rep Power: 1113 grinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: With playoff chances gone, why play injured Players ?

I think we were always playing for a winning season, meaning none of the upcoming games are meaningless; at least not to me and those fans that have wanted to see this team finish big. Also these two divisional games give us a chance to not go completely winless in the division. And to finalize my thoughts, seeing Schaub in action two more games should help quiet the start Sage crowd.
grinch1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinch1134 View Post
I think we were always playing for a winning season, meaning none of the upcoming games are meaningless; at least not to me and those fans that have wanted to see this team finish big. Also these two divisional games give us a chance to not go completely winless in the division. And to finalize my thoughts, seeing Schaub in action two more games should help quiet the start Sage crowd.
Yeah, because it's all about silencing the "Start Sage" crowd and not about winning. This is David Carr all over again.

LOL.

I'd think that if you are so high on Matt Schaub, you'd be glad to let the little peon Sage Rosenfels do his menial job as a backup, let Schaub rest and put his feet up on the sideline while Sage serves like a slave, and therefore allow Schaub to get fully healthy so he can play his token 1-to-2 games next season before getting hurt again.

What is it about Matt Schaub that has him so stinkin' untouchable around here? I personally think it comes down to a bunch of ego-driven fans who don't want to see smack talk dropped on us if Schaub doesn't work out. With the plethora of fans around here taking joy in Bush's and Vince's bad play recently, it only furthers my assumption. Seems we have people more focused on what people THINK of us and less concerned with how this team looks on the field, as a T-E-A-M. There's just no comparison between how this offense ran with Schaub and how it has been flowing (IMO) with Sage. The tempo is faster, the receivers are catching everything, and we're getting into the endzone more regularly with less struggling to do so. There's a confidence amongst the players when Sage is taking the snaps.

Quit worrying about appearances and let the W-L stats speak for themselves. That's what counts, remember?

Last edited by GP; 12-18-2007 at 10:45 AM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It depends how the doctors/trainers feel. If they say Demeco can play and not risk further injury, I'd be fine with it. If there's some sort of chance that it could aggrevate it or make it worse- I wouldn't let him walk around!! The kids gonna be a probowler for us for a long time, keep him healthy.

As far as schaub goes, again it depends how the trainers feel. there is no use rushing him back b/c he's been injured a few times this season. Let him get healthy and get surgery sooner thus allowing him to practice sooner in the off season. Sage is doing a great job. Let Matt heal up and take the reins over next season.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #5
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

From my tree, he wants to give MS a chance to have one more good outing to slay the QB controversey. this team has enough on it's plate without that next spring. I agree it is pointless to trot him out there. But, it must mean a lot to Kubes. Anyone calling for Sage over MS is bacically a troll wanting to stir the pot up as far as I'm concerned. Closet cow polkes fans ?
Old 12-18-2007   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
It depends how the doctors/trainers feel. If they say Demeco can play and not risk further injury, I'd be fine with it. If there's some sort of chance that it could aggrevate it or make it worse- I wouldn't let him walk around!! The kids gonna be a probowler for us for a long time, keep him healthy.

As far as schaub goes, again it depends how the trainers feel. there is no use rushing him back b/c he's been injured a few times this season. Let him get healthy and get surgery sooner thus allowing him to practice sooner in the off season. Sage is doing a great job. Let Matt heal up and take the reins over next season.
Assuming he's not going to further injure it by normal playing, you also have to assess whether getting the month's headstart on surgery is worth the return. If waiting means he's going to be gimpy at the beginning of the season next year, I'd rather he have the surgery now and get a headstart on rehab. We're already going to be short Dunta Robinson.
Old 12-18-2007   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
From my tree, he wants to give MS a chance to have one more good outing to slay the QB controversey. this team has enough on it's plate without that next spring. I agree it is pointless to trot him out there. But, it must mean a lot to Kubes. Anyone calling for Sage over MS is bacically a troll wanting to stir the pot up as far as I'm concerned. Closet cow polkes fans ?
Whatever the Texans might hope to accomplish by playing Schaub again this year, know there is also a big downside to such a decision:
(1) the most obvious and biggest concern is that he reinjuries his already injured shoulder and complicates his recovery
(2) plays poorly due to the existing injury or rustiness due to missed playing time from the injury, which then does tend to fire up any talk of a QB controversy
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2007   #8
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
"Schaub, 26, is contemplating offseason surgery on his shoulder, but he refuses to give up on the sliver of hope that he can play in the final two games of this season."
"Ryans injured his right knee against Tampa Bay when he tore his posterior cruciate ligament."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5386034.html
But why not get them their surgeries and on the road to recovery for the 2008 season instead of risking further injury in meaningless games in the remainder of this season ?

I believe Demeco's injury is very similar to Adrian Peterson's injury of the Vikings.

AP didn't require surgery and was playing in a couple of weeks.

I don't think Demeco's injury is as bad you think it is.

As for Schaub, who knows. He had a shoulder injury his senior year in college, which as I understand it, is the reason he slipped to the 3rd in the draft in the first place.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #9
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i dont think it has anything to do with qb controversies or anything like that. kubiak gave them the goal of bringing mcnair and houston a winning season and that's still what they're working towards. the team's on a high right now and just like last year every player wants to contribute and finish strong. for all the things that we have to fix on our team, chemistry and determination arent on the list.
Old 12-18-2007   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Yeah, because it's all about silencing the "Start Sage" crowd and not about winning. This is David Carr all over again.

LOL.

I'd think that if you are so high on Matt Schaub, you'd be glad to let the little peon Sage Rosenfels do his menial job as a backup, let Schaub rest and put his feet up on the sideline while Sage serves like a slave, and therefore allow Schaub to get fully healthy so he can play his token 1-to-2 games next season before getting hurt again.

What is it about Matt Schaub that has him so stinkin' untouchable around here? I personally think it comes down to a bunch of ego-driven fans who don't want to see smack talk dropped on us if Schaub doesn't work out. With the plethora of fans around here taking joy in Bush's and Vince's bad play recently, it only furthers my assumption. Seems we have people more focused on what people THINK of us and less concerned with how this team looks on the field, as a T-E-A-M. There's just no comparison between how this offense ran with Schaub and how it has been flowing (IMO) with Sage. The tempo is faster, the receivers are catching everything, and we're getting into the endzone more regularly with less struggling to do so. There's a confidence amongst the players when Sage is taking the snaps.

Quit worrying about appearances and let the W-L stats speak for themselves. That's what counts, remember?
Still trying and spinning.. Dear Lord. Comical. TEAM is right. You reflect it so well in this post.(eye roll)

Anyways, Sage should play out the string

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 12-18-2007 at 04:55 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #11
grinch1134
Veteran

Rep Power: 1113 grinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respectedgrinch1134 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

LOL.

Yeah because all my post said was to silence the Sage crowd. Read then type. I never once called Schaub untouchable, so please l quote someone else's post next time or just hit quick reply.

The point is these aren't meanlingless games and our star((ting)should have read starting) quaterback should lead us to the end. I for one have no problem letting Mickey Mouse quarterback if it wins us games, but until Sage is named the team's starting quarterback for the season, he will remain the backup. And yes he has done a great job backing up Matt.

Last edited by grinch1134; 12-18-2007 at 04:29 PM.
grinch1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #12
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinch1134 View Post
Yeah because all my post said was to silence the Sage crowd. Read then type. I never once called Schaub untouchable, so please l quote someone else's post next time or just hit quick reply.

The point is these aren't meanlingless games and our star quaterback should lead us to the end. I for one have no problem letting Mickey Mouse quarterback if it wins us games, but until Sage is named the team's starting quarterback for the season, he will remain the backup. And yes he has done a great job backing up Matt.
I'm not particularly on either side of this argument, I really don't care who the starter is so long as we win. However, isn't it a little early to call Schaub a star? I don't think that he has done anything phenomenal, or at least nothing "star worthy".

I'm all for giving him another season. That said, no five year denials like what we had with Carr. If Schaub fails to produce next season, I would be completely up to sitting him.

Sig by False Start on #69

Last edited by adam; 12-19-2007 at 10:56 AM.
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #13
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:

What is it about Matt Schaub that has him so stinkin' untouchable around here?

I second. I never understood the endless support for Carr. I was calling for his head after season 2 (of 5). Also 3, 4, and 5.

Now, Sage looks pretty good (maybe real good with a little help from the coaches seeing him as a potential starter), while Schaub looks frail, injury prone, glass jaw.

I liked Schaub at the start of the season, but at a minimum they gotta treat him to a crash course in the gym for the next 9 months. And they can't consider him untouchable. After 5 years of Carr you'd think the Texans would have learned that lesson.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #14
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
I second. I never understood the endless support for Carr. I was calling for his head after season 2 (of 5). Also 3, 4, and 5.

Now, Sage looks pretty good (maybe real good with a little help from the coaches seeing him as a potential starter), while Schaub looks frail, injury prone, glass jaw.

I liked Schaub at the start of the season, but at a minimum they gotta treat him to a crash course in the gym for the next 9 months. And they can't consider him untouchable. After 5 years of Carr you'd think the Texans would have learned that lesson.
I don't know about this debate, but I gotta agree with that comment--assuming he can with his shoulder.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #15
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

GREAT POST!!!! 100% agree.
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #16
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Two games left, out of th playoffs........just play it safe and sit them.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #17
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone thought of this?

If Schaub goes ahead and has surgery now to get a head start on next year and Sage gets hurt after that.......who the hell is going to play QB?

I think we should start Sage the rest of the year, dress Schaub as the backup if he is healthy enough, and should have surgery right after the year is over.

Next is the OTA's and mini camp......Kubiak has always said every position is open competition in the offseason. This should take care of the "QB Controversy", performance is what mattters, let's see if Kubiak stays true to this, I suspect he will.

And hopefully neither one of them is going anywhere for awhile. I do think after it is said and one, Schaub wins out, but I am willing to be unbias about it.
Old 12-21-2007   #18
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

But why not get them their surgeries and on the road to recovery for the 2008 season instead of risking further injury in meaningless games in the remainder of this season ?[/quote]

because before this team can make the playoffs, this team has to learn how to win! These last two games are anything but meaningless.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Just a while back, Schaub stated that his doctor told him that his shoulder injury was such that he could not injure it any further. I'd love to meet his doctor........any significant injury to a joint (especially an injury that requires surgery) will destabilize that joint..........any additional direct trauma would inevitably lead to further injury........Someone interject a little common sense..............
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007   #20
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Just a while back, Schaub stated that his doctor told him that his shoulder injury was such that he could not injure it any further. I'd love to meet his doctor........any significant injury to a joint (especially an injury that requires surgery) will destabilize that joint..........any additional direct trauma would inevitably lead to further injury........Someone interject a little common sense..............
CND, I was wondering that myself. kind of has the ring of "Wishing and hoping" that it will heal on its own and to keep the other team guessing.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read