Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-17-2007   #1
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Talking what fans of other teams think of mario!!!!!

its almost 1am here in NZ and having nothing better to do i actually logged in on a couple of the other team's message board to see what they thought of super mario

quite interesting what they

heres a link

http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=9088

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/Forum...2249-54-1.aspx

http://bbs.buccaneers.com/showthread.php?t=152492

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?p=1788593

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/...peppers-2.html

http://mb.jaguars.com/Topic429239-7-5.aspx#bm432011

http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/576749.aspx
Old 12-17-2007   #2
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: what fans of other teams think of mario!!!!!

On the Carolina board they called Peppers a pu$$y, and we here in Houston defended the Carr pick for how long? So long that Peppers is being called names by his own fans.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #3
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't forget our good "friends" over at the Titans board. Titled.... All of the sudden Mario deserves an apology?

http://forums.titansonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=32371
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #4
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

To me the interesting part about these posts is how some highlight underlying issues for that forum's teams.

The Tampa Bay folks are dealing with their own Mario v. Bush issue this season because they drafted DE Gaines Adams instead of Adrian Peterson. Adams is having a pretty quiet rookie year.

Obviously, Atlanta fans take delight in Bush's struggles--it may be the only thing they can smile about right now. And the DE they took with our first round pick (Jamal Anderson) has yet to record a sack, so they are also hoping for a career arc like Mario's.

The Carolina thread comparing/contrasting Mario to Peppers is fascinating to me as an ACC guy. You can tell which Panther posters went to UNC and which went to NCState by their posts in that thread.

Was glad to see our team got some love from the Charger board even after their destruction of us.

It's just nice to see mentions of our team in some context other than "are they terrible or what?"
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I notice a couple of recurring themes on most of those boards. To begin with there's always somebody who thinks that the reason Mario is finally showing up somehow involves Amobi Okoye.

I understand why they think that but we know better. We see Amobi playing hard but he's still having a "rookie" year. The real reason Mario is having the season he's having is that he's in his second year, the game is slowing down for him, and the coaches seem to finally know how to use him properly.

Next year if Amobi comes on like they expect then look out world. It's going to get ugly for opposing QB's.

I also can't help but notice that every board has some guys who are in the "1%" who knew that Mario was going to be the right choice. If you add all of the people who were supposedly right back then I think it amounts to a lot more than 1% but hey, it's just nice to have the rest of the fans thinking the Texans did something right for a change. There's no sense in splitting hairs over it.
Old 12-17-2007   #6
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Good work! Nice little read to burn some time on a slow day in the office. Nice to see people think of us as a threat of the future instead of the next Arizona Cardinals...
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #7
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

That is great to see!Thanks. I am a little surprised that there are still many though who, despite saying Mario was the pick, that we still could have taken VY and been doing well, etc.
Old 12-17-2007   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post

The Tampa Bay folks are dealing with their own Mario v. Bush issue this season because they drafted DE Gaines Adams instead of Adrian Peterson. Adams is having a pretty quiet rookie year.
When I was on the WhattheBuc radio program, that was one of the topics they wanted to talk about.
Old 12-17-2007   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I notice a couple of recurring themes on most of those boards. To begin with there's always somebody who thinks that the reason Mario is finally showing up somehow involves Amobi Okoye.

I understand why they think that but we know better. We see Amobi playing hard but he's still having a "rookie" year. The real reason Mario is having the season he's having is that he's in his second year, the game is slowing down for him, and the coaches seem to finally know how to use him properly.

Next year if Amobi comes on like they expect then look out world. It's going to get ugly for opposing QB's.

I also can't help but notice that every board has some guys who are in the "1%" who knew that Mario was going to be the right choice. If you add all of the people who were supposedly right back then I think it amounts to a lot more than 1% but hey, it's just nice to have the rest of the fans thinking the Texans did something right for a change. There's no sense in splitting hairs over it.
Actually I've watched the Broncos game like three times now (well, because I loved Mario's performance) and Amobi did help him get two sacks.

Here see for yourself.......

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9dImtYvSUKc

First Sack:
min. 1:12 Amobi applies preasure straight up the middle and flusters Cutler long enough for Mario to come in and finish him off......at min 1:18 after Mario gets the sack you can see Amobi Okoye beating his hand into the field in absolute anger, because he knows he should've had a sack (this display of emotion I absolutely LOVED, because it shows that this 20 year old kid has the motor and drive of a 8 year old vet.........Amobi is going to be SPECIAL)

Second Sack:
min. 2:20 Amobi Okoye splits two guys and comes blazing straight up the middle causing Jay Cutler to cut and run straight toward Mario Williams, where Mario finishes him off again.

People aren't giving Amobi Okoye enough credit..........this is a 20 year old kid who has 5.5 sacks (I said he'd have around 3 when the season started) for a rookie DT!........a 20 yo, rookie DT, that is a amazing season. (can any of y'all remember what y'all were doing at the age 20?)

Amobi is going to be like a young Warren Sapp..........if Mario can turn into anything close like a Bruce Smith, this Dline is going to be kicking @s* and taking names. If we can find a real speed rushing RE to throw on the other side of Mario Williams, this line is going to be unblockable.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 12-17-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #10
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126616 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

The respect his A-thori-Tie!
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #11
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Thats great . I was looking at some non-sports forums , and there were a few topics about Mario . The kid is starting to take off like "gangfires"

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr Bombed, I agree that Amobi is playing quality right now but I'm just saying that the biggest factor in Mario stepping up isn't the addition of Amobi (which they seem to be implying) but rather a bunch of other stuff like the added year, the healthy foot, and his being put in a position to make plays instead of being overloaded like he was as a rookie.

And I totally agree that next year, if Amobi grows as a player like he's expected to then Mario is going to feed off of that like crazy (and vice versa). Hell Travis Johnson might get a sack or two if that happens.
Old 12-17-2007   #13
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, he is getting some help from a compatent pass rusher being next to him, just like Amobi is getting help from haveing the same next to him. Its not insulting to say that having a good teammate helps you be better. I know you said that to a degree, but Im just clarifying.

Quote:
Yeah, if you listen to all the 1% who agreed, its like a 98% landslide in favor of Mario over Reggie. Ive been there from the beginning, but Im glad to have all of you in my camp now. Welcome aboard.
Old 12-17-2007   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Good stuff W-W !
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #15
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84986 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

A few thoughts (happy thoughts) on Mario:

I believe that being a rookie who was unable to practice during the last part of the year was a real obstacle to Mario - one that he has overcome.

A defense anchored by Mario and Ryans - combined with what Okoye could very well become, and what Dunta Robinson will hopefully become again will be tough for anyone to deal with. No matter

VY has to prove he can become an above average NFL QB, and then prove he can become a franchise NFL QB. Mario has to prove this year wasn't a fluke. I like Mario's chances better.

Unless Reggie eventually becomes Marshall Faulk - or at least Brian Westbrook, Mario's a better pick. Reggie doesn't look close to either of those two players in terms of game impact.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #16
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the "one percenters" were around early that offseason but got ran off the forums by the fanboys who threw all thought out the window and proclaimed vince could walk on water and reggie would have several 80 yard touchdown runs each game. atleast for me it was too painful to read that mess. i wanted d'brick honestly but knew we wouldnt take him with the first pick, so i was excited that we went with mario first and two OL later that day.
Old 12-17-2007   #17
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Yeah, if you listen to all the 1% who agreed, its like a 98% landslide in favor of Mario over Reggie. Ive been there from the beginning, but Im glad to have all of you in my camp now. Welcome aboard.
While I will admit I was upset about us signing Mario the night before the draft (I'm not a college guy and knew nothing about him), once I began to learn our reasoning for drafting him, I was aboard. I simply wanted a guy who would make an impact and a difference, and I am a (often blind) supporter of this team. I will admit I supported Carr until the day he left, but it's only because I want my team to do well.

No matter who it is, I will support them if it is a Texan, but just because I support them doesn't mean they should stay even though they're playing poorly (a la Carr).
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #18
austintexanite
All Pro

Good post, I was thinking about doing one exactly like this but I didn't have enough time.
Old 12-17-2007   #19
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Carr Bombed, I agree that Amobi is playing quality right now but I'm just saying that the biggest factor in Mario stepping up isn't the addition of Amobi (which they seem to be implying) but rather a bunch of other stuff like the added year, the healthy foot, and his being put in a position to make plays instead of being overloaded like he was as a rookie.

And I totally agree that next year, if Amobi grows as a player like he's expected to then Mario is going to feed off of that like crazy (and vice versa). Hell Travis Johnson might get a sack or two if that happens.
I agree that that's not the biggest factor either.......I just think Amobi has been very helpful to Mario and vice versa..........last year we didn't have that inside pass rushing force and while people think Amobi has hit a wall, I really don't think so, atleast not to the extent that people think. While he didn't come away with a sack Thursday night you could clearly see he was a HUGE factor in the dominance in the Dline's performance.

What I'm so blown away with Amobi Okoye is his maturity and composure for such a young kid. (I mean we all heard people talk about this when he was coming out of the draft, but seeing is believing) He also has excellent pass rushing moves for such a young player.........I think the only weakness he has is he still has some maturing to do physically, I would like to see him add a little bulk during the offseason, because at times he can be overpowered and overmatched.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 12-17-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #20
DenverFan
Rookie

As a broncos fan...

the first thing I noticed was his amazing physical abilities, if he can stay motivated and healthy I think he can easily be the best DE in the league, he has the ability of peppers
DenverFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read