Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-16-2007   #1
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover
Lightbulb How did we let this one get away?

DE Greg White, drafted by the Texans in 02' or 03' in the 6th round.

This guy is really causing some major havoc for the Bucs this year. Just imagine him on the other side of Mario! I know last Sunday when we played the Bucs he had like 3 sacks agianst us.
Old 12-16-2007   #2
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 32564 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How did we let this one get away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'er View Post
DE Greg White, drafted by the Texans in 02' or 03' in the 6th round.

This guy is really causing some major havoc for the Bucs this year. Just imagine him on the other side of Mario! I know last Sunday when we played the Bucs he had like 3 sacks agianst us.
was not a good 34 end?

for the same reason Foley, McCree, and Gafney were let walk?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #3
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 49619 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

And P Buc ............

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #4
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

should be asking why didn't we get anything for him.
Old 12-16-2007   #5
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 32564 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
should be asking why didn't we get anything for him.
Two words

Charlie Casserly

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #6
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

After the last two years, then Mario's 3 1/2 sacks Thursday and his all around season making the talking heads eat crow, I just don't want to go there at the moment. This has been a great weekend for us.
Showtime100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Greg White, much like Foley, McCree, and Gaffney (as previously mentioned by TEXANRED) is a perfect illustration of how the old regime simply could not tell a quality player from a stiff or a young guy with upside who needed to be developed from another young guy who was never going to amount to anything.

I think that the game must have passed Dom Capers and some of the people he had on his staff by. That's the only reason I can think of to explain the sheer number of personnel mistakes that were made by this team from 2002-2005. Totally apart from drafting errors which I also think that Dom Capers & staff had "some" culpability in I think we all saw how often the team let a "player" walk but held on to a stiff who never got better. It's like Capers, Fangio, and Pendry couldn't tell the difference anymore.

We notice when the game passes an icon by. When a Don Shula or a Chuck Noll becomes ineffective it's such a big deal that everybody notices it. I don't think anybody notices when lower echelon coaches stop being good at what they do. I think much of the previous staff was just stale and out of touch with what modern NFL teams were doing.
Old 12-16-2007   #8
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

To be fair, after the Texans released White in 2002 no other team signed him either. He played in the Arena Football League for a couple of seasons before the Bucs took a shot on him this season. I'm not going to bash Casserly and the old regime on this move

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Clearly the man could be developed into a guy that did more than just occupy a roster spot.

The Texans didn't do much developing of the guys they kept on the roster so I guess he probably wouldn't have fared much better if we'd kept working on him.
Old 12-16-2007   #10
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Isn't this the same guy who got 4 sacks for us in his first preseason game and we cut him at the end of training camp his rookie season?

I think the explanation why we'd cut someone who got 4 sacks in his first preseason game was that,"They were easy sacks" or something like that.
Old 12-17-2007   #11
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
To be fair, after the Texans released White in 2002 no other team signed him either. He played in the Arena Football League for a couple of seasons before the Bucs took a shot on him this season. I'm not going to bash Casserly and the old regime on this move
Close, but not accurate. Greg White is Appreciative

Quote:
"You know I got cut by the Texans [in training camp in 2002], right?" White said. "And then I was on the practice squads in Tampa, Atlanta, Tennessee, New Orleans, Washington, back to New Orleans and back to Washington."
Quote:
And he spent time on the Bears practice squad. Oh yeah, and Chicago," White said with another laugh. "The Bears sent me to NFL Europe. I led that league in sacks [seven], but the Bears cut me."

White also gave the Canadian Football League a try. And the Arena Football League, where he won 2007 AFL Defensive Player of the Year honors while setting a league record with 15 sacks in the spring.
That was from a linked article startribune his college town newspaper.

He may stay in Tampa because Jay Grudden gave him the break he needed, and John Grudden is all smiles about this one, the issue is a 1st round pick sitting on the bench behind him. So throw him a bucket of cash and see what happens
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't post at hpf anymore but most of my old thoughts are buried over there somewhere....here is what I said when we released him. I kinda surmised that it wasn't his physical talent that kept him off the roster, but perhaps he couldn't grasp the schemes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Greg White is going to play SOMEWHERE in this league. I am a little surprized.

I saw him intervied, and he didn't seem overtly bright. NOT stupid, but did not seem overly sharp. I wonder how much trouble he had picking up Fangio's scheme?

If the *head* was the problem, in lieu of the fact that we are an EXPANSION team..........wouldn't it make sense to have a physically talented guy like White on the practice squad?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember that there was some noise from fans about White's release. I believe I heard on the John & Lance show that White had been late to meetings and had bad practice habits. Back then, Capers was not only looking for guys that could play, but guys who could tow the line. Dom became less picky as time went on.
Old 12-17-2007   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Greg White, much like Foley, McCree, and Gaffney (as previously mentioned by TEXANRED) is a perfect illustration of how the old regime simply could not tell a quality player from a stiff or a young guy with upside who needed to be developed from another young guy who was never going to amount to anything.
I dunno, but wasn't Gaffney still on the roster when Kubiak arrived ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

If I remember correctly Jabar Gaffney wasn't offered a deal at all. They made no effort to sign him. I thought it was odd at the time but accepted it without much complaint. People had been ragging on Jabar for a long time and I thought that he could use a fresh start somewhere else.

The Kubiak regime wanted different receivers. They got them and I'm ok with who we have now.
Old 12-17-2007   #16
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked Jabar Gaffney from the time we got him until the time we got rid of him. As I recall, he made some disparaging comments at the end of the year. That might have turned management against him. Still, he's with the Patsies now and the world is his oyster or something. I'm happy with the receivers we have now. Especially with the weakness I thought that position was (Behind Andre, of course), coming into the season.

Now we need a running back. Unless Kubiak says we don't. Then I'm sure someone will step up and perform fantastically.
Old 12-17-2007   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

I think that the game must have passed Dom Capers and some of the people he had on his staff by. That's the only reason I can think of to explain the sheer number of personnel mistakes that were made by this team from 2002-2005. Totally apart from drafting errors which I also think that Dom Capers & staff had "some" culpability in I think we all saw how often the team let a "player" walk but held on to a stiff who never got better. It's like Capers, Fangio, and Pendry couldn't tell the difference anymore.

We notice when the game passes an icon by. When a Don Shula or a Chuck Noll becomes ineffective it's such a big deal that everybody notices it. I don't think anybody notices when lower echelon coaches stop being good at what they do. I think much of the previous staff was just stale and out of touch with what modern NFL teams were doing.

Well form my tree : you had a three-four coach picking players a 4-3 GM was scouting and tring to figure out who was who and what was what. In the end what we got with the mix was rose fertilzer. I wasn't in the room I do not know...just what I believe. The mix of the two was the ferfect storm for FUBAR.

What we have now is all oars pulling the little boat in the same direction.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-17-2007 at 12:52 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read