Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-16-2007   #1
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 11584 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wait til next year

If I'm not mistaken, the Texans are officially eliminated now with the Jags and Browns victories. It doesn't take away my enthusiasm for next year, though. Considering how many injuries the Texans had, and how tough a division we're in, I'm proud of how the Texans have performed. What this season does reinforce, though, is that you can't depend on any help from anyone else- you have to make your own breaks and take care of business when you can. Looking back, the Texans lost some winnable games, even with the injuries they've had. Hopefully, they've learned from their mistakes and will keep improving next year. If they can finish 9-7 or 8-8, they'll have a lot of momentum going into next year. Even if they finish 7-9, they're definitely better than last year- by a lot.

Finally- I hope the rest of the league has enjoyed beating up the Texans since their existence; I have a feeling those days are past.

tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #2
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wait til next year

Good post. This is truly the first time that I can honestly say that we are a playoff-caliber team next year. We've had our ups and downs, a ton of injuries, a brand-new QB but we've fought tooth-and-nail all season. No matter what happens with the next 2 games I will know the Texans gave it their all this season and overcame a lot of adversity. I'm proud to be a Texans fan.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedr View Post
Finally- I hope the rest of the league has enjoyed beating up the Texans since their existence; I have a feeling those days are past.

I think they'll get some more shots.

Maybe by the time I retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #4
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems that we are everybody's darlings for being a playoff team for next year. Hope it doesn't turn out like it did for the 49ers this year. They were everybody's darling last year
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
Good post. This is truly the first time that I can honestly say that we are a playoff-caliber team next year.
Well, at least you got that going for you.

I don't care about being "truly a playoff-caliber team" we had a shot to get in this year, and we didn't.

So that kinda sucks.

I'm sure that KCs fans didn't cry when they snuck in last year. Neither will Buffalo, or Cleveland, or Tennessee if they get in.

We had one of the weakest....... if not the weakest NFL schedules this year, and we're fighting to finish .500

But you feel good about our chances at making the play-offs next year.

But we're still in the same place as we were last offseason.

I know we lead the league with players on IR, but which of those players do you think will make this team better in '08??

(Please, please, don't say Dunta Robinson)

One good thing though, since we'll finish at the bottom of the AFC South yet again, we should have an easy schedule next year as well. Not as easy as this years.

AFC North(Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinatti, Baltimore)
NFC North(Greenbay, Minnesota, Detroit, & Chicago)
and the worst of the AFC(Miami, & Oakland)
Old 12-16-2007   #6
DenverFan
Rookie

Sry you guys got eliminated, with a Chargers win the Broncos are done to...

I don't mean this in an offensive way at all, but you guys have totally different season expectations than most Bronco fans.

Hopefully that will change and we will meet many times in the playoffs (with the Broncos winning of course).
DenverFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
It seems that we are everybody's darlings for being a playoff team for next year. Hope it doesn't turn out like it did for the 49ers this year. They were everybody's darling last year
the 9er fans were very bitter too...hopefully we don't step back like they did. I feel much better about this team's finishing kick than I did last year however...assuming we continue to finish strong.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2007   #8
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverFan View Post

I don't mean this in an offensive way at all, but you guys have totally different season expectations than most Bronco fans.

It's the era.

Back when Houston's NFL team was making the playoffs on a regular basis, the expectation was playoffs. The Texans haven't reached the level, until now, that playoffs is a semi-reasonable expectation. If your team was 2-14 two seasons ago, you'd be thrilled with 7-7 too. It should be understandable in that context.

Quote:
Coming off 7-9 in '04, the Texans were also mentioned as a possible playoff team in '05 even with the meltdown against Cleveland. For some reason I don't think this team is a house of cards like that one.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #9
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We had one of the weakest....... if not the weakest NFL schedules this year, and we're fighting to finish .500
Wtf? Are you drunk? The Texans play half their schedule against teams with a winning record. That is certainly not one of the weakest schedules in the NFL. In fact, it's probably one of the ten hardest.

Yeah, we played the Raiders, Chiefs, and Dolphins...once. The Chargers, for example, get the Raiders and Chiefs twice. We played more winning teams than the Cowboys, Patriots, or Packers.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #10
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

imo next year we'll be more green bay than san fran
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #11
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

My biggest concern as we move towards next year is our division record this year. At best we will be 2-4, which isn't going to be good enough to get into the playoffs, espically if it comes down to tie-breakers.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #12
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Wtf? Are you drunk? The Texans play half their schedule against teams with a winning record. That is certainly not one of the weakest schedules in the NFL. In fact, it's probably one of the ten hardest.

Yeah, we played the Raiders, Chiefs, and Dolphins...once. The Chargers get the Raiders and Chiefs twice.

Edit: You're not drunk. I guess those games against the NFC south almost neutralized the AFC South as far as our strength of schedule rank. We're currently ranked 20th, but that will probably change as a result of our remaining games.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #13
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post

Yeah, we played the Raiders, Chiefs, and Dolphins...once. The Chargers, for example, get the Raiders and Chiefs twice. We played more winning teams than the Cowboys, Patriots, or Packers.
As of 12/12 there were 13 teams with harder schedules than us and 3 tied with us.

Certainly not one of the weakest schedules in the NFL.

Last edited by nero THE zero; 12-16-2007 at 06:51 PM.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

We'll be a better team next year than we were this year. What that actually translates to as far as a win/loss record at the end of next year is anybody's guess. I've lived in Houston almost all my life, so I'm used to "next year" as far as sports goes.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #15
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1688 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

This team turned the corner with that victory over Tampa Bay. The loss of Andre Johnson in Week 2 made such a huge difference in the outcome of the season. His absence made an impact on and off the field, and you could sense the deflation of morale in the Atlanta game. That doomed us for a good stretch of games, and when he returned, what a splash he made. But the defeat of Tampa Bay after losing Dunta, then Ahman, then Weary, and Schaub - that proved the team is ready to overcome adversity.

Kubiak has this team fighting for every yard now, thirsting for victory. You can feel it at the games. The players have the taste of winning on their lips and they LIKE it. It's a whole different feeling from the team, and you can just sense the expectations of winning from them.

Denver fans are fretting now that they let the wrong coach go from their team, and they may be right. Kubiak established an offense on paper there that was feared by most every team in the NFL. It's only been two seasons here, but I think now he's learning how to also COACH. Once he gets those chops down, along with his intelligence of the offensive game, this will be a team to be reckoned with.

That could be next year - and I think we'll be contenders for a playoff spot next year - but by 2009, we'll be perennial winners. Kubiak and Smith have built this team for the long haul. They want a dynasty, not a flash in the pan. And I, for one, feel like we're finally on our way.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #16
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
imo next year we'll be more green bay than san fran
Roster or results? ha...guess with Sheman leaving you meant results.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #17
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The reason for the 49er's fall can probably be sumed up with the loss of one person, Norv Turner. When he left the 49er's as OC, and went to S.D. to be the HC, he messed up 2 teams with one move, so to speak. But, the 49er's definately got messed up alot worse than the "Bolts." From everything I've read and heard about Norv, he is a great OC but a terrible HC. I haven't heard the same about Sherman, and I don't think it will affect us the same. At least I hope it doesn't.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #18
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking primarily about our division, we will be much more competitive next year and could end up challenging the Colts for first place. The key to the playoffs is to have a winning record within your own division and I see the Texans going 4-2....possibly 5-1 next year. We pull that off and it's playoff fever in H-Town.
Old 12-17-2007   #19
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 110481 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

We've said it with the Astros , and with the Rockets ......... "wait till next year" . It took some time , but it eventually paid off in both instances . Hopefully its the Texans year next season . I think it will be , we have a good young core to build off of , and hopefully next season we can stay healthy . We only have 9 months to wait now .............

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #20
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh god, I'm going to REALLY enjoy these next two games because the offseason is the longest time of the year. It's torcherious, painful, hot and way too long.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read