Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The 80-man roster limit

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Funny, up until I read this article in today's Chronicle, I had never heard that there was an 80-man roster limit.

Although the GM Smith is enjoying the show as much as his coaching staff, the personnel turmoil will make his second offseason on the job as complicated as his second regular season has been. Because of the Texans' lengthy injured-reserve/physically-unable-to-perform list, he has been repeatedly "bumping up against the NFL's 80-man roster limit.

"You never hear talk of the 80-man roster during the regular season," Smith said, "but I'm thinking about it every day. In order to sign futures contracts (after Dec. 31), we're going to have to reach settlements with a few of (their IR players). We don't have any room to maneuver."

The bigger-name casualties such as Green, McKinney, Weary, Dunta Robinson and injury-prone return whiz Jerome Mathis present a variety of dilemmas. It is assumed Robinson won't be ready at the start of next season, so contingency plans must be made for his extended absence. Also, there has been speculation that Green, whose 260 rushing yards have cost the Texans more than $6.5 million, won't finish out his $23 million contract, that the team will cut its losses and move on. Smith, however, insists the 30-year-old Green will prove to be reliable and productive.

"We'll tender Jerome an offer, and I don't think Ahman will be any worse for wear next year because he won't have played that much," Smith said. "I expect him to fully recover and contribute."

The same goes for the 10-year veteran McKinney (knee). "I know he has every intention of coming back and fighting through it," Smith said.

As for the two long-gone safeties — Glenn Earl and Jason Simmons — both of whose contracts are up at the end of the season, Smith conceded: "We've got to sit down at end of the season and take stock. What do we think of Michael Boulware? Will Demps? C.C. Brown is a restricted free agent. What are we going to do with him?"

Weary, who was having his best season, stood to get a big raise in 2008 with his contract expiring. But that was before he suddenly turned into damaged goods. Now, the Texans don't know what they have in him. "You try to come up with an agreement that the player sees value in and that you think is worth the risk," Smith said. "Those are tough things to decide. A lot of times a guy will say, 'Give me a one-year deal. Let me try to prove myself again.' We'll just have to see how it plays out with Fred."

I think Ahman will be gone, despite what Smith says.

Since I don't think Dunta will play at all next season, it will interesting to see what they offer him just to sit out the season on IR. I see a one year tender to Weary.

And from the sound of it, Earl, Simmons, McKinney, and Mathis are all gone.

And they to make another offer to Andre Davis. His contract was for only one year.

Since I don't think Donte will play at all next season, it will interesting to see what they offer him just to sit out the season on IR. I see a one year tender to Weary.

Dunta....Willie D U N T A Robinson. Not Donte Robinson. :wild:

Since I don't think Dunta will play at all next season, it will interesting to see what they offer him just to sit out the season on IR. I see a one year tender to Weary.

And they to make another offer to Andre Davis. His contract was for only one year.

howd you figure?

"We'll tender Jerome an offer"... it sounded like they were more reluctanct on offering CC an offer than jerome

It would seem that's a strong possibilty if not likelihood, unless Green would
agree to radically restructure his contract, which might include a very incentiave based contract including a minimum # of starts for '08.
I dunno, wonder what would be the chances of that sort of an arrangement ?

The Green deal really pisses me off. Ron Dayne is averaging 4 yards a carry and has 685 yards right now. If the team had been starting him from day one they could have saved the money they wasted on Green and got the same type of production (or better) out of the BurgerMeister.

Sometimes your best move is to do nothing.

It would seem that's a strong possibilty if not likelihood, unless Green would
agree to radically restructure his contract, which might include a very incentiave based contract including a minimum # of starts for '08.
I dunno, wonder what would be the chances of that sort of an arrangement ?

I wouldn't base it on starts, I would base it on finishes.

The Green deal really pisses me off. Ron Dayne is averaging 4 yards a carry and has 685 yards right now. If the team had been starting him from day one they could have saved the money they wasted on Green and got the same type of production (or better) out of the BurgerMeister.

I agree . I had a bad feeling about Green when we signed him . I told my brother , "watch , hes gonna end up getting hurt , its just Texans luck" . The Dayne Train may have been on his way to a 1000 yard season by now . You never know though .

I think you were one of the few who hated the Green signing right off the bat. Now we are going into 2008 and we still need a feature back but now have a old injury prone player with a cap issue to deal with.

I was a bit shocked when I read that article this morning. Primarily because it required thought to construct and contained insight that you don't normally get from the chronic. The daily crumb was tasty for a change.

Hate to throw the hindsight beanbag at ya, Herv. The BurgerMeister might have also blown out his knee in the very first game.

I mean, it wasn't but about 5 games ago that people were still calling Mario a bust, and calling for Dayne to be cut.

I was a bit shocked when I read that article this morning. Primarily because it required thought to construct and contained insight that you don't normally get from the chronic. The daily crumb was tasty for a change.

So I'm not the only one, eh. Look at the byline, though. When does Dale Robertson ever write about the Texans?

If the team had been starting him from day one they could have saved the money they wasted on Green and got the same type of production (or better) out of the BurgerMeister.

Dayne was looking pretty bad at the beginning of the season, though. Injured possibly? Gotta love his attitude and toughness, though. The irony is that Kubes and co. signed Gree because they didn't want to get stuck in the same situation we were in last year. You know, the one we're in now :wheel: :wheel:

It used to be 80 plus NFL-E exemptions, which expire at the final cut down. Since there's no more NFL-E, I've heard that 80 could become 85 during the owners meetings (85 during the off-season that is).

The 80 limit is for off-season btw. What Smith is worried about is the futures contracts that they will offer to players when the season ends and those are counted against the number of players under contract even though the new league year doesn't start until ~March 1 (when the 80 limit goes into effect).

Most of the wiggle room will be in the secondary. None of the starters coming out of camp (not named Dunta) were head and shoulders above their replacements. In fact, I like the guys we have now better than the lot we started the season with. So I say toss 'em all into the mix come camp time and let the cream rise to the top.

Regarding the O-line, there are plenty of questions...
- Will Weary come back 100%
- Is Briesel any good or was it that Denver's D-line still sucks
- Studdard plays with a mean streak but can he stay off the injury report for any length of time
- (this un'll kill you) IS Charles Spencer "all that"? Remember he only played TWO games. If you'll check the stat sheet for those two games you'll see we gave up NINE Sacks! We only gave up 43 the whole year, right? So he "anchored" the O-line that gave up 20+% of the 2006 sack total in those two games. So I ask you, why should he get a pass.

As far as RB goes, we don't seem to have much luck in that area going as far back as Domanick Davis-Williams. So the more bodies the better. If Green miraculously heals, cool. If he doesn't, I'm thinking Chris Taylor, Ron Dayne, Darius Walker, and whoever we pick up via the draft will do just fine as long as we strengthen the O-line.

Back