Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

WOW ! Just how good is that 2006 Texans Draft looking now ?

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
Now that we are seeing Mario begin to play at the potential the Texans saw in him, that '06 Draft is looking better all the time.
We already knew that we had a Pro-Bowler in DeMeco, so along with D-Rob
the Texans got 2 of what is their 3 best defensive players in the '06 Draft
and the basis for a very good defense for many years.
Then there's the 2 guys at OT, the bookends for our line. Winston is rapidly
coming into his own at RT, and Spencer was an even better player on the basis of his play early in his rookie year before the devastating injury that took him out for 2 years. If not for that injury, the Texans had their book-end
tackles for the future of their OLine it would appear.
And lets not forget Owen Daniels, who is turning into a pretty good TE and without question the best pass-receiver we've had there.
And honestly, don't we have to let Casserly share in the glory of this really incredibly successful Draft ? He of course was the GM during that Draft who
worked with Kubiak to make these steller selections.
And I'm now hearing that Casserly was the guy pushing the most for Kubiak
to take Mario over Bush, which clearly was the right call. I'd always thought that Casserly never waivered in his support for Bush, and Kubiak pulled
rank on Casserly (who was a lame-duck GM), to take Mario. But that
maybe wasn't the way it was according to reports now coming out ?
Of course Casserly had it all wrong on Carr, and he's got to be the one to shoulder the primary blame for that as he basically talked McNair into retaining DC by way of an expensive contract extention before Kubiak arrived on the scene, effectively taking VY or any QB off the Texans Board.

axman40

Hall of Fame
Memo to Nunsguy Charlie Casserly is Satan's puppet and even a broke clock is right twice a day!
Outside of that good post.
:texflag:

ATX

Hall of Fame
I wonder how much different the decision to draft Mario would have been if we didn't offer that extension to Carr. Would we still have picked Mario, would we have possibly chosen Young, or possibly traded down and picked up someone like Cutler, or maybe Sage would have become our starter. As much as I look at the decision to extend Carr's contract as bad, it is within the realms of possibility both Mario and Demeco would not have been drafted by us if we didn't. That would have been horrible(for us) if Ten drafted Mario and put him on the same line as Vanderbosch.

Mailman

Pwned by Hakeem
I wonder how much different the decision to draft Mario would have been if we didn't offer that extension to Carr. Would we still have picked Mario, would we have possibly chosen Young, or possibly traded down and picked up someone like Cutler, or maybe Sage would have become our starter. As much as I look at the decision to extend Carr's contract as bad, it is within the realms of possibility both Mario and Demeco would not have been drafted by us if we didn't. That would have been horrible(for us) if Ten drafted Mario and put him on the same line as Vanderbosch.
We would've taken Vince Young and the Saints would've taken Mario.

Joe Texan

Inducted 04
Carr was all Casserly and Bob McNair. They had a sense of loyalty and it hurt them badly. Do not look for that to happen to Schaub.

Gary made the Mario decision. He did not need a QB per Bob, And he did not like the attitude of Reggie as well as he did not see any thing but injuries from that little injury prone hype factory.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
And as it's turning out, it would have been a bad move for us, and good move for the Saints.

Someone in the Texans front office, whether it was Casserly, Kubiak, or McNair, had a crystal ball that day in 2006.

Allstar

Bona fide
I seriously doubt that the saints would have passed on Bush. When we didn't pick him, they seemingly rejoiced and acted like we left Jesus Christ on the board. When they picked him, everyone in the organization talked about how it was just what New Orleans needed to distract everyone from katrina.

The Titans would have taken Mario, and Vince would still cower in fear twice a year, only in opposite jerseys. (Boy, that's a scary thought):marionaner:

Maddict5

Hall of Fame
Our draft this year ain't too bad either.
agreed.. jacoby has disappointed but showed enough in PS to show he has the talent to get it together and loses the tentativeness

amobi has looked alot better than mario his rookie season (and gary said hes going to be a 'heck' of a player last week when people were talking about the wall..... and gary's usually right)

and bennett has really impressed me.. thers no question in my mind that hes going to be a good corner for many yrs

last two drafts, we've been money in rds 1 - 4

Leahmic223

Veteran
I Think Wilbon made a good point on this the other day...All 3 of the teams drafting in the top 3 that year would not redo the draft.

The Titans had a potential leader with Young, and he just needs to be consistent to take his team to the next level with the defense he has.

The Saints went to the Conference championship and Bush was a REASON why. He just needs a feature back to do the running so he can be the weapon that he can. Also he needs his HC to stop with all the nonsense over the top playcalling.

And we got Mario who is proving that he can be a elite DE on a young defense.

Not to mention the Titans also got White in their draft and Saints got Colston while we got Demeco. Look at where these teams were before the 2006 draft and look at where all 3 teams are at now all 3 teams with wildcard hopes and big hopes for the future.

If we were drafting into top 5 again than I think you can say that that team regrets it, but I think each of the teams are happy with what they have.

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame
The Saints wanted Hawk more than Mario, at least that is what had been said.

If the Texans took Reggie, I'm not sure where Mario would have ended up on the board.

Mailman

Pwned by Hakeem
The Saints wanted Hawk more than Mario, at least that is what had been said.

If the Texans took Reggie, I'm not sure where Mario would have ended up on the board.
The majority of my buddies in my main fantasy league are all Saints fans. I remember the conversations I had with them predraft (when everyone assumed the Texans were taking Bush) and how most of them either expected the Saints to take Mario Williams or D'Brickashaw Ferguson (b/c of the loss of LeCharles Bentley).

The consensus that I remember reading back then said the Saints had Mario rated right at the top of their board. If the Texans had gone QB instead of DE, I highly doubt the Saints would've taken Bush. When we took Mario, they then had to make a choice between running back, quarterback, or left tackle. They obviously weren't going with VY or Leinart b/c of their Brees acquistion in free agency, so Reggie Bush became their guy.

Here's a yahoo article from wayback...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-mockdraft042706&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

tulexan

Hall of Fame
The majority of my buddies in my main fantasy league are all Saints fans. I remember the conversations I had with them predraft (when everyone assumed the Texans were taking Bush) and how most of them either expected the Saints to take Mario Williams or D'Brickashaw Ferguson (b/c of the loss of LeCharles Bentley).

The consensus that I remember reading back then said the Saints had Mario rated right at the top of their board. If the Texans had gone QB instead of DE, I highly doubt the Saints would've taken Bush. When we took Mario, they then had to make a choice between running back, quarterback, or left tackle. They obviously weren't going with VY or Leinart b/c of their Brees acquistion in free agency, so Reggie Bush became their guy.

Here's a yahoo article from wayback...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-mockdraft042706&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
I remember hearing on the radio in New Orleans after the draft that they were going to take Hawk if the Texans picked Reggie. They have Grant and Smith, they didn't need another DE.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
And as it's turning out, it would have been a bad move for us, and good move for the Saints.

Someone in the Texans front office, whether it was Casserly, Kubiak, or McNair, had a crystal ball that day in 2006.
The Saints with Mario would be scary indeed. Being that we play the NFC South once every four years would allow us some comfort, but it would be scary just the same.

Besides. If we'd have drafted Vince, they'd have still taken Reggie, and the Titans would have got Mario.

& that would be really scary.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Is this akin to falling into a pile of s#!t but ending up making a fortune selling it for fertilizer?
:D

I think they would have tried to trade down and still pick Mario with the first pick. We had a lot of holes, and still have some, so those picks would have come in better use.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
agreed.. jacoby has disappointed but showed enough in PS to show he has the talent to get it together and loses the tentativeness

amobi has looked alot better than mario his rookie season (and gary said hes going to be a 'heck' of a player last week when people were talking about the wall..... and gary's usually right)

and bennett has really impressed me.. thers no question in my mind that hes going to be a good corner for many yrs

last two drafts, we've been money in rds 1 - 4
If we learned anything bout Mario and young guys begining in general in the NFL this season it's just this: First you need a six pack of pateince. The guys who are evaluting these young men are not tring to project what they are going to bring to the franchise their rookie seasons . They are projecting what they will bring to the franchise every season. They not all grow up at the same time and at the same level. That is why the draft is an art and not science. After all the numbers are crunched and all the tape is watched... in the end you gotta go with your gut feelings on the guy.

You don't know what the satus is of Jacoby Jones' Shoulder. Niether do I. However I can assume by the lack of fake end arounds on the dives, a feature which was featured promenetly in the rushing attack the first four games befor the incident in the Indy game, that there is something going on there. Now I could be dead wrong. Just saying it's a bit early to be harsh on the guy. He's plaing hurt or he's in the dog house...he's out there balling. He's doing his job. Kubiak is harsh on rookies out of purpose not malice.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
I think Charley Casserly would be in my top five for NFL Executive of the Year this year, and he hasn't worked for the Texans in 20 months. Look back at his last draft, the 2006 draft, for Houston. First-round pick: North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams, first overall. After finishing last year shakily, on an injured foot, with eight straight sackless games, Williams has 13 sacks, second in the league, this year ...

Second-round pick: Alabama linebacker DeMeco Ryans, 33rd overall pick. He has more tackles (276) than any player in football since the start of the 2006 season ... Third-round picks: Pitt tackle Charles Spencer, 65th overall pick, who has been injury-plagued since being drafted. University of Miami tackle Eric Winston, 66th overall pick. He's been rock-solid, starting 21 games, including all 14 this year at right tackle ... Fourth-round pick: Wisconsin tight end Owen Daniels, 98th overall pick. He leads the Texans with 739 receiving yards, fifth among all NFL tight ends. Casserly has had his share of clunkers over the years in the draft, but that's one of the best hauls in recent years and is a solid backbone to a .500 team in a tough division.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/12/16/week15/6.html
The above SI link is from another thread posted by 4Texans today.
But it seems to make a pretty good case that Charley Casserly, who was villifed by many locals, maybe didn't do such a bad job after all ?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Third-round picks: Pitt tackle Charles Spencer, 65th overall pick, who has been injury-plagued since being drafted.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/12/16/week15/6.html
The above SI link is from another thread posted by 4Texans today.
But it seems to make a pretty good case that Charley Casserly, who was villifed by many locals, maybe didn't do such a bad job after all ?
the draft that never dies.

its comments like this that make me think they really don't know what they're talking about. Spencer suffered a severe, single, career threatening injury & he's labeled injury-plagued?

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
Now that we are seeing Mario begin to play at the potential the Texans saw in him, that '06 Draft is looking better all the time.
We already knew that we had a Pro-Bowler in DeMeco, so along with D-Rob
the Texans got 2 of what is their 3 best defensive players in the '06 Draft
and the basis for a very good defense for many years.
Then there's the 2 guys at OT, the bookends for our line. Winston is rapidly
coming into his own at RT, and Spencer was an even better player on the basis of his play early in his rookie year before the devastating injury that took him out for 2 years. If not for that injury, the Texans had their book-end
tackles for the future of their OLine it would appear.
And lets not forget Owen Daniels, who is turning into a pretty good TE and without question the best pass-receiver we've had there.
And honestly, don't we have to let Casserly share in the glory of this really incredibly successful Draft ? He of course was the GM during that Draft who
worked with Kubiak to make these steller selections.
And I'm now hearing that Casserly was the guy pushing the most for Kubiak
to take Mario over Bush, which clearly was the right call. I'd always thought rank on Casserly (who was a lame-duck GM), to take Mario. But that
maybe wasn't the way it was according to reports now coming out ?that Casserly never waivered in his support for Bush, and Kubiak pulled

Of course Casserly had it all wrong on Carr, and he's got to be the one to shoulder the primary blame for that as he basically talked McNair into retaining DC by way of an expensive contract extention before Kubiak arrived on the scene, effectively taking VY or any QB off the Texans Board.
No credit and I think the only one spreading the thoughts that he did have this much input is Charley himself.

I said it in the King thread and just saw Lance Z echoed it but why would CC, as a lame duck, have this much pull over a draft when Reeves was brought in to not only hold his hand but to evaluate him?Peter King is FOS himself.

As far as I ever heard CC wanted to announce Bush as the guy and Reeves had to rein him in.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
Because the HC, the GM and the owner were all cherrys. I have believed all a long that CC...managed the scouts....looked up the tallent and made his reports to the HC, OC,DC and the owner. The fact of the matter right now...I know more about the college guys in the draft than the HC, OC and DC do. They simply do not have the time to watch all of the college games during the season. All of them came to the same conclusion: Mario Williams will give this team the best chance to win in the future. And there should be no doubt the guy who first put MW on the radar was C.C.. The others trusted him. They all believed what they saw with their own eyes. The fact that C.C. and Capers could not mesh shouldn't diminish C.C.'s role in the '06 draft. Out of their own mouths they have all said that C.C. was more than wall paper in the room. Kubiak and both Smiths as well as the owner could have nixed the deal...and they didn't. Draw you own conclusion.