Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-15-2007   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default WOW ! Just how good is that 2006 Texans Draft looking now ?

Now that we are seeing Mario begin to play at the potential the Texans saw in him, that '06 Draft is looking better all the time.
We already knew that we had a Pro-Bowler in DeMeco, so along with D-Rob
the Texans got 2 of what is their 3 best defensive players in the '06 Draft
and the basis for a very good defense for many years.
Then there's the 2 guys at OT, the bookends for our line. Winston is rapidly
coming into his own at RT, and Spencer was an even better player on the basis of his play early in his rookie year before the devastating injury that took him out for 2 years. If not for that injury, the Texans had their book-end
tackles for the future of their OLine it would appear.
And lets not forget Owen Daniels, who is turning into a pretty good TE and without question the best pass-receiver we've had there.
And honestly, don't we have to let Casserly share in the glory of this really incredibly successful Draft ? He of course was the GM during that Draft who
worked with Kubiak to make these steller selections.
And I'm now hearing that Casserly was the guy pushing the most for Kubiak
to take Mario over Bush, which clearly was the right call. I'd always thought that Casserly never waivered in his support for Bush, and Kubiak pulled
rank on Casserly (who was a lame-duck GM), to take Mario. But that
maybe wasn't the way it was according to reports now coming out ?
Of course Casserly had it all wrong on Carr, and he's got to be the one to shoulder the primary blame for that as he basically talked McNair into retaining DC by way of an expensive contract extention before Kubiak arrived on the scene, effectively taking VY or any QB off the Texans Board.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #2
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WOW ! Just how good is that 2006 Texans Draft looking now ?

Memo to Nunsguy Charlie Casserly is Satan's puppet and even a broke clock is right twice a day!
Outside of that good post.
Old 12-15-2007   #3
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder how much different the decision to draft Mario would have been if we didn't offer that extension to Carr. Would we still have picked Mario, would we have possibly chosen Young, or possibly traded down and picked up someone like Cutler, or maybe Sage would have become our starter. As much as I look at the decision to extend Carr's contract as bad, it is within the realms of possibility both Mario and Demeco would not have been drafted by us if we didn't. That would have been horrible(for us) if Ten drafted Mario and put him on the same line as Vanderbosch.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #4
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
I wonder how much different the decision to draft Mario would have been if we didn't offer that extension to Carr. Would we still have picked Mario, would we have possibly chosen Young, or possibly traded down and picked up someone like Cutler, or maybe Sage would have become our starter. As much as I look at the decision to extend Carr's contract as bad, it is within the realms of possibility both Mario and Demeco would not have been drafted by us if we didn't. That would have been horrible(for us) if Ten drafted Mario and put him on the same line as Vanderbosch.
We would've taken Vince Young and the Saints would've taken Mario.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #5
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr was all Casserly and Bob McNair. They had a sense of loyalty and it hurt them badly. Do not look for that to happen to Schaub.

Gary made the Mario decision. He did not need a QB per Bob, And he did not like the attitude of Reggie as well as he did not see any thing but injuries from that little injury prone hype factory.
Old 12-15-2007   #6
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78862 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
And as it's turning out, it would have been a bad move for us, and good move for the Saints.

Someone in the Texans front office, whether it was Casserly, Kubiak, or McNair, had a crystal ball that day in 2006.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #7
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Of course it's all opinion, but I think the Saints would have still drafted Bush and Tennessee would have taken Williams.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2007   #8
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I seriously doubt that the saints would have passed on Bush. When we didn't pick him, they seemingly rejoiced and acted like we left Jesus Christ on the board. When they picked him, everyone in the organization talked about how it was just what New Orleans needed to distract everyone from katrina.

The Titans would have taken Mario, and Vince would still cower in fear twice a year, only in opposite jerseys. (Boy, that's a scary thought)
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Our draft this year ain't too bad either.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #10
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Our draft this year ain't too bad either.
agreed.. jacoby has disappointed but showed enough in PS to show he has the talent to get it together and loses the tentativeness

amobi has looked alot better than mario his rookie season (and gary said hes going to be a 'heck' of a player last week when people were talking about the wall..... and gary's usually right)

and bennett has really impressed me.. thers no question in my mind that hes going to be a good corner for many yrs

last two drafts, we've been money in rds 1 - 4
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #11
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

I Think Wilbon made a good point on this the other day...All 3 of the teams drafting in the top 3 that year would not redo the draft.

The Titans had a potential leader with Young, and he just needs to be consistent to take his team to the next level with the defense he has.

The Saints went to the Conference championship and Bush was a REASON why. He just needs a feature back to do the running so he can be the weapon that he can. Also he needs his HC to stop with all the nonsense over the top playcalling.

And we got Mario who is proving that he can be a elite DE on a young defense.

Not to mention the Titans also got White in their draft and Saints got Colston while we got Demeco. Look at where these teams were before the 2006 draft and look at where all 3 teams are at now all 3 teams with wildcard hopes and big hopes for the future.

If we were drafting into top 5 again than I think you can say that that team regrets it, but I think each of the teams are happy with what they have.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #12
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

The Saints wanted Hawk more than Mario, at least that is what had been said.

If the Texans took Reggie, I'm not sure where Mario would have ended up on the board.
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #13
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
The Saints wanted Hawk more than Mario, at least that is what had been said.

If the Texans took Reggie, I'm not sure where Mario would have ended up on the board.
The majority of my buddies in my main fantasy league are all Saints fans. I remember the conversations I had with them predraft (when everyone assumed the Texans were taking Bush) and how most of them either expected the Saints to take Mario Williams or D'Brickashaw Ferguson (b/c of the loss of LeCharles Bentley).

The consensus that I remember reading back then said the Saints had Mario rated right at the top of their board. If the Texans had gone QB instead of DE, I highly doubt the Saints would've taken Bush. When we took Mario, they then had to make a choice between running back, quarterback, or left tackle. They obviously weren't going with VY or Leinart b/c of their Brees acquistion in free agency, so Reggie Bush became their guy.

Here's a yahoo article from wayback...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #14
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78862 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Of course it's all opinion, but I think the Saints would have still drafted Bush and Tennessee would have taken Williams.
Hmmm. Mario and Albert on the same DL? Scary.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #15
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
The majority of my buddies in my main fantasy league are all Saints fans. I remember the conversations I had with them predraft (when everyone assumed the Texans were taking Bush) and how most of them either expected the Saints to take Mario Williams or D'Brickashaw Ferguson (b/c of the loss of LeCharles Bentley).

The consensus that I remember reading back then said the Saints had Mario rated right at the top of their board. If the Texans had gone QB instead of DE, I highly doubt the Saints would've taken Bush. When we took Mario, they then had to make a choice between running back, quarterback, or left tackle. They obviously weren't going with VY or Leinart b/c of their Brees acquistion in free agency, so Reggie Bush became their guy.

I remember hearing on the radio in New Orleans after the draft that they were going to take Hawk if the Texans picked Reggie. They have Grant and Smith, they didn't need another DE.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
And as it's turning out, it would have been a bad move for us, and good move for the Saints.

Someone in the Texans front office, whether it was Casserly, Kubiak, or McNair, had a crystal ball that day in 2006.
The Saints with Mario would be scary indeed. Being that we play the NFC South once every four years would allow us some comfort, but it would be scary just the same.

Besides. If we'd have drafted Vince, they'd have still taken Reggie, and the Titans would have got Mario.

& that would be really scary.
Old 12-15-2007   #17
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Hmmm. Mario and Albert on the same DL? Scary.
mario, albert and kbv...

lets just say im happy things turned out the way they did
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #18
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is this akin to falling into a pile of s#!t but ending up making a fortune selling it for fertilizer?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #19
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
I think they would have tried to trade down and still pick Mario with the first pick. We had a lot of holes, and still have some, so those picks would have come in better use.
Old 12-15-2007   #20
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Boy, am I glad it didn't turn out like this guy thought. I guess it just goes to show that some of these so called "draft experts" really don't have a clue. Just like us! Only they get paid for being clueless! JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read