Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What draft pick would be enough for one of our QBs?
4th round or lower - get us anything 1 1.05%
3rd round 7 7.37%
Low 2nd round (pick 48-63) 11 11.58%
High 2nd round (pick 32-47) 38 40.00%
Low 1st round (pick 21-31) 8 8.42%
Mid 1st round (pick 11-20) 11 11.58%
Top-10 pick 9 9.47%
Even a top-10 pick is not enough 10 10.53%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-29-2008   #41
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer
Default Re: What would it take for you to trade a QB?

I thought we were talking Rosenfels. For Schuab.....1st this year, 2nd next year! He's worth more now than when he was unproven.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #42
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
i just can't see pulling the trigger on it. Maybe next year. not right now.
I think it's a balancing act and we don't have to do this immediately unless we really like the offer. Factors affecting the value of one Sage Rosenfels include the following:

His contract status makes a deal economical for a potential trade partner. Right now he can be had for two years cheap. Next year he'll be a year from renegotiation time and so a sign-and-trade will make things a little more complicated.

Right now he's coming off a nice run of games where he looked very good. Next year he may play and not do so well (lowering his value) or he may play again and have another 3-4 game stretch where he looks great (which will make his sign-and-trade deal more expensive).

If he does play that means Matt Schaub got hurt again and at that point the Texans have what is starting to appear to be a fragile QB*. This will make them less willing to part with Sage. If you are thinking of trying to aquire him right now you have to be wondering if he will even be on the market at this time next season.

Sage is not young. QB's are playing longer these days it seems (at least to me) and so maybe this isn't much of an issue but every year that goes by he gets a little older. Older is never better in the NFL so it would behoove a team seeking his services to get him as soon as possible.

There are a bunch of factors that seem to make a case for either keeping or trading him. I'm sure he wants a chance to be the starter somewhere as well and I do not think that the Texans can count on him sticking around past his current contract. Even if he never sees the field again for us he's going to get offers when he hits free agency and he's made it clear that he wants to start. If we hang on to him because supposedly you need two good QB's in this league to win (which is not in fact true**) then we need to understand that in two years time we're probably going to get nothing for him when he signs somewhere else.

I'm fine with that if the Texans want to go that route. I'm more inclined to try and get a 2 for him this year if I can. If not then keeping him works for me.

*Lets get one thing straight. If you're running around calling Matt Schaub "fragile" right now you are, in my opinion annoying, stupid background noise and nothing else. One season doesn't make anybody fragile. Michael Jordan missed most of a season early in his career and nobody ever considered him "fragile". Tons of non-fragile guys have years where they got hurt. Unless it becomes a pattern the guy isn't fragile.

**You need one who can stay healthy to win. You might be able to win with multiple good QB's but more often than not you won't.
Old 02-29-2008   #43
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
*Lets get one thing straight. If you're running around calling Matt Schaub "fragile" right now you are, in my opinion annoying, stupid background noise and nothing else. One season doesn't make anybody fragile. Michael Jordan missed most of a season early in his career and nobody ever considered him "fragile". Tons of non-fragile guys have years where they got hurt. Unless it becomes a pattern the guy isn't fragile.

**You need one who can stay healthy to win. You might be able to win with multiple good QB's but more often than not you won't.
Repeated for emphasis.
Old 02-29-2008   #44
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

multiple picks is the only option, hell, used to be good dt's are going for 3rd and 5th rd picks, a qb capable of starting for a lot of teams is in high demand
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #45
Nighthawk
All Pro

Quote:

Let's get one thing straight, anyone who's running around blabbing about Schaub being not-fragile has his head in a bucket. Schaub has 1 season set up as a starter and he spent most of it on the bench while Rosenfels took most of the hits and won most of the games. This isn't an encouraging situation. I would not trade Rosenfels unless we got an extraordinary offer., multiple picks, a 32-42 2nd and a useful player, or similar. We can't afford to gamble on Schaub without Rosenfels there ready to play.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #46
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

when did i say schaub was fragile? You quoted me...but i didn't. All i said was i didn't think this was a good year to trade sage.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #47
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub's injurys, IMO, where due to him trying to do too much. thats not a negative its just a statement he lacked the missing playmakers/protection to support him.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-29-2008   #48
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
multiple picks is the only option, hell, used to be good dt's are going for 3rd and 5th rd picks, a qb capable of starting for a lot of teams is in high demand
greed both threes and a two in '09
Old 02-29-2008   #49
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
Let's get one thing straight, anyone who's running around blabbing about Schaub being not-fragile has his head in a bucket. Schaub has 1 season set up as a starter and he spent most of it on the bench while Rosenfels took most of the hits and won most of the games. This isn't an encouraging situation. I would not trade Rosenfels unless we got an extraordinary offer., multiple picks, a 32-42 2nd and a useful player, or similar. We can't afford to gamble on Schaub without Rosenfels there ready to play.

A single season is too small a sample to conclude that he's fragile. It's also yet to be proven that he's not. I'm in the "we need more info" camp on this. Having said that I need to know the following....

1. How does Schaub finish the season 4-7 as the starter yet spend most of it on the bench? I'm just trying to understand man.

2. How does Sage finish 4-1 as a starter and take most of the hits and win most of the games? Again help me with the math please.
Old 02-29-2008   #50
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
when did i say schaub was fragile? You quoted me...but i didn't. All i said was i didn't think this was a good year to trade sage.
You didn't. Your post started my train of thought, nothing more. I tend to go off on tangents, my bad.
Old 02-29-2008   #51
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the hits Schaub receives are direct, crippling type layouts. toughness is not the issue, he's plenty tough to get up after some of those, its why is he in that position to start with? who has his back & comes to his aid either when the play is breaking down or after he gets broken down

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #52
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You didn't. Your post started my train of thought, nothing more. I tend to go off on tangents, my bad.
no problem..i just wanted to make sure you didn't think i thought that, because im way on the other side of that particular fence.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #53
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu

High 2nd min
But a top 10 forsure!
Old 02-29-2008   #54
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be very cautious trading Sage this year. I'm less concerned with Schaub being "fragile" than I am about him coming off of shoulder surgery. I believe Schaub will start throwing in late March or early April, but will that be enough time to evaluate his shoulder? I know it's his non-throwing arm but shoulder injuries can be tricky.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #55
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I would be very cautious trading Sage this year. I'm less concerned with Schaub being "fragile" than I am about him coming off of shoulder surgery. I believe Schaub will start throwing in late March or early April, but will that be enough time to evaluate his shoulder? I know it's his non-throwing arm but shoulder injuries can be tricky.

Exactly..............something I brought up when people were expecting his return before the end of the season.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read