Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What draft pick would be enough for one of our QBs?
4th round or lower - get us anything 1 1.05%
3rd round 7 7.37%
Low 2nd round (pick 48-63) 11 11.58%
High 2nd round (pick 32-47) 38 40.00%
Low 1st round (pick 21-31) 8 8.42%
Mid 1st round (pick 11-20) 11 11.58%
Top-10 pick 9 9.47%
Even a top-10 pick is not enough 10 10.53%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2007   #21
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93773 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What would it take for you to trade a QB?

For a team like us I think you take anything that you can get to improve your roster. You're right you need a good backup. Nobody disputes that. But given the choice between a good backup and say a starting LT? I'd take the LT in a heartbeat. I voted a 3rd but I think a 2nd rounder is more in order. There's no sense in hoarding talent at one position if you are lacking at another.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #22
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 87036 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

IF , is the circumstance here right ? Thats why I voted #4 . A just for the hell of it type thing . I wouldn't trade either QB . Having two good Quarterbacks is something a lot of teams wish they had .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
For a team like us I think you take anything that you can get to improve your roster. You're right you need a good backup. Nobody disputes that. But given the choice between a good backup and say a starting LT? I'd take the LT in a heartbeat. I voted a 3rd but I think a 2nd rounder is more in order. There's no sense in hoarding talent at one position if you are lacking at another.

Mike
you are willing to trade something that is absolutely worth something for a player that 'may' be worth something...no way I'd do that since Schaub hasn't been able to stay healthy.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #24
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

for me it would take multiple picks to even think about letting sage go... something like a 2nd and 3rd.. 1 pick for gary to find another backup, 1 for the chance we're taking that the new guy will be as good as sage

even then id be reluctanct... the last thing we need is another carolina etc situation here
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #25
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Shane Boyd could be a great back-up for us. I just rewatched the Arizona preseason game against us. He looks like he could be really good. I think we might have three good QB's on our hands.
Old 12-15-2007   #26
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd trade him for a pair of 2's or a 2 and a suitable "trade up" type swap of 1's.

Say a team came to us prior to this draft and, I dunno say we're picking in the mid 20's (just for conversations sake, I have no idea where we're going to pick). Now say they wanted Sage and they offered their 2 and they had a first round pick in the 5-10 range. If they'd swap 1's along with that 2nd rounder I'd do it if there was a player I was sold on that I knew would never fall to me.

It's a situational kind of thing.

Keep in mind that yes, Schaub has indeed had a tough time staying healthy but also that it seems like almost every year there's a backup who gets a chance to look like a previously undiscovered future Pro Bowl QB. Is Sage for real? Is Sage going to be the next Scott Michell or A.j. Feeley? We don't know the answer to that and neither does anybody else.

We are deep in places but we have gaping holes at other spots. I think it would be worth it to try and get at least one player deep elsewhere. That's just me though and I can see the sense in also playing it safe and keeping the guy to backup Matt. There are positives to either approach.
Old 12-15-2007   #27
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Voted there's no way since there is no option for multiple draft picks.

We'd be silly to turn our nose at a Herschel Walker type deal, but I don't think anybody is going to give us their draft for Sage Rosenfels (Stranger things have happened).

I doubt we even shop Sage around at all because he is a decent backup and that is something we will want to keep for the next few years while Schaub gets acclimated to the Texans offense.

So yeah, unless there's some ridiculous deal just staring us in the face, where we can pickup at least 2 or 3 draft picks with at least one or two of those picks coming in the first two rounds, I say no trade.
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2007   #28
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Where's the "When Hell freezes" option in the poll?
That would be the "Even a top-10 pick is not enough" option.
We try to keep it PG-13 around here
(with only limited success)
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #29
austintexanite
All Pro

I would trade for a 2nd rounder, but I don't that the team will trade either of them in the offseason. Like Vinny said, it's good to have an insurance plan. I'm hoping Sage and Matt get along next year, I don't want any distractions.
Old 12-15-2007   #30
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm thinking we'll trade him for Ed Reed, straight up.
Old 12-16-2007   #31
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
According to this, Sage is locked up for two more years and Matt is locked up for even longer. I'd say at least two seconds. No reason to accept anything less at this point.

Things may change over time.
Two picks ...agreed. Compaired to what is out there... he's a plump for sure. He's locked in cheap. and he's productive.

My team I woulnd't do it. But what ever.
Old 02-29-2008   #32
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19489 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

With the recent discussions about trading Sage, I thought I'd bump this poll up from around the end of last season. At that time, almost no one was willing to part with Sage for a 3rd. Now it seems like more people are willing to go for that.

Note: if we had managed to get the Viking's 2nd round pick, it would be at #47 - basically right on the border between "top" and "bottom" of the 2nd round.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
With the recent discussions about trading Sage, I thought I'd bump this poll up from around the end of last season. At that time, almost no one was willing to part with Sage for a 3rd. Now it seems like more people are willing to go for that.

Note: if we had managed to get the Viking's 2nd round pick, it would be at #47 - basically right on the border between "top" and "bottom" of the 2nd round.
There is a better understanding of who will be available in draft and the combine stats are in. The close we get to draft the more the opinions will fly.
Old 02-29-2008   #34
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

i just can't see pulling the trigger on it. Maybe next year. not right now.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #35
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

It would take at least a low first round pick before I would start thinking about trading one of our QB's, and I voted that way. I would rather have 2 QB's that can start, unless you have one of the few elite QB's (Manning, Brady, etc....) in the league.
Old 02-29-2008   #36
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Texans View Post
It would take at least a low first round pick before I would start thinking about trading one of our QB's, and I voted that way. I would rather have 2 QB's that can start, unless you have one of the few elite QB's (Manning, Brady, etc....) in the league.
I like Schaub a lot and think he's going to be our long term QB. However, the thing that scares me is that we don't have a solid OL to protect him, and we don't have a solid group of RB's for him to hand the ball off to. Those are the 2 main reasons why I keep Sage. If our OL was real solid, then i'd trade him but until then your taking a HUGE gamble.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #37
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I like Schaub a lot and think he's going to be our long term QB. However, the thing that scares me is that we don't have a solid OL to protect him, and we don't have a solid group of RB's for him to hand the ball off to. Those are the 2 main reasons why I keep Sage. If our OL was real solid, then i'd trade him but until then your taking a HUGE gamble.
You now have Mendenhall and Anthony Collins. Do you feel better about Schaub?
Old 02-29-2008   #38
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You now have Mendenhall and Anthony Collins. Do you feel better about Schaub?
Yea I feel tons better. I'm guessing Collins wouldn't be an upgrade at first but throughout the season hopefully he would solidify himself. I like Collins a lot. As do I like Mendenhall.

With recent reports of our interest in Running backs already in the league- I'm starting to feel good about the idea of getting one there so we can focus on OL and Secondary in the draft!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #39
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Yea I feel tons better. I'm guessing Collins wouldn't be an upgrade at first but throughout the season hopefully he would solidify himself. I like Collins a lot. As do I like Mendenhall.

With recent reports of our interest in Running backs already in the league- I'm starting to feel good about the idea of getting one there so we can focus on OL and Secondary in the draft!
See that is why I am ok with a trade if we got a 2nd round. We still might be able to trade back from #18, get a good pick and another selection. There are so many variations. What about signing Dayne and drafting Slaton or Chris Johnson with the 2 for Sage and sign Williams at # 18? I could go on.
Old 02-29-2008   #40
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
See that is why I am ok with a trade if we got a 2nd round. We still might be able to trade back from #18, get a good pick and another selection. There are so many variations. What about signing Dayne and drafting Slaton or Chris Johnson with the 2 for Sage and sign Williams at # 18? I could go on.
I could deal with Williams in the 1st & Johnson in the 2nd.

I'd throw a fit if we drafted Slaton before the 4th though, especially if we wasted a 2nd on him. There are many better RBs available in the 2nd than Slaton.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read