Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What draft pick would be enough for one of our QBs?
4th round or lower - get us anything 1 1.05%
3rd round 7 7.37%
Low 2nd round (pick 48-63) 11 11.58%
High 2nd round (pick 32-47) 38 40.00%
Low 1st round (pick 21-31) 8 8.42%
Mid 1st round (pick 11-20) 11 11.58%
Top-10 pick 9 9.47%
Even a top-10 pick is not enough 10 10.53%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2007   #1
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What would it take for you to trade a QB?

Edited to Note: This post/poll was resurrected from last December.

OK, this is mainly for fun.

We seem to find ourselves in the position of having two decent QBs - in fact, good enough that we might manage to get something by trading one of them. Obviously, it's nice to have two capable QBs and no one wants to trade one for nothing, but we'd also be stupid to turn down a Herschel Walker deal. So, the question is just what it would take for you to be willing to trade.

Just so this isn't a Schaub vs. Sage thread, just vote as if we're talking about trading the one you think is worse. And, just think of the "value" of a trade (an actual trade might involve multiple picks, or current players).

For me, it would take at least a high second-rounder, though I doubt other teams would be willing to give up that much. I say that since I think that'd be enough for us to get a good center prospect (or move up from wherever we are to secure a top-notch LT), and I think that would be of more value to us than having a strong backup QB.

Last edited by keyser; 02-29-2008 at 12:58 PM.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #2
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What would it take for you to trade a QB?

According to this, Sage is locked up for two more years and Matt is locked up for even longer. I'd say at least two seconds. No reason to accept anything less at this point.

Things may change over time.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #3
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd want 2 second rounders.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #4
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I'd want 2 second rounders.
Just for fun here. We gave up 2 second rounders for Schaub. A great, but unproven QB. You cannot say that about either of our QBs
Old 12-15-2007   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-Texan View Post
Just for fun here. We gave up 2 second rounders for Schaub. A great, but unproven QB. You cannot say that about either of our QBs

Indeed. Sage has much more proof of his skills as a QB now than Schaub did when we traded for him. I would take two second rounders AND a decent starter at a need position.

Remember, if we trade Sage away, we not only have to replace him, but get additional value in return, otherwise its a very bad move.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #6
tsip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 tsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVPtsip was voted MVP

JMO, but I wouldn't trade either QB. Both of these players have a tremendous upside and are just now getting to play on a regular basis. Both of these guys can work the pocket, read a defense, throw over the middle, make timely/good decisions, and have the respect of their team mates.

Certainly, we are going to have teams inquiring about our qbs because both have shown they can play. Sage has been injury free and accurate and has put the ball in the end zone, and--most important-has won as a starter.

Our next 2 games are going to be tough, regardless of who plays at QB. We do, however, have something 'big' on the line- win 1 game and we are no longer a losing team...win both and we are a winning team.
tsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #7
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38657 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

We have much needed depth and I would not trade that away at this time.
Old 12-15-2007   #8
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

as others have said, i'd also want either two seconds or a mid first round. there's not a lot of good quarterbacking in the NFL right now so both guys should be able to fetch a premium if we were to offer one up.

as we're currently witnessing it's important to have strong depth and kubiak/smith are doing a fantastic job of building depth on this team so i doubt either one go, but i'm confident that if we do trade one quarterback that we could fill the hole with a young guy that kubiak could game plan and be successful with.
Old 12-15-2007   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

As stated, both of them are proven QBs. I might admit that it's worth it for a mid-first rounder, but I wouldn't actually pull that trigger unless I got a top 10 pick for it. They stay.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #10
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 61397 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

We're not shopping either, but if the mid-first round price is there, we'd talk.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #11
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we would regret any QB trade.

It would have to be top 10 for me and even then I'd have to put some serious thought into it.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #12
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

A 2nd rounder would be hard to turn down, but in the end I like us having a good backup. Teams like Indy and New England are one play/injury away from turning into a really good team to an average to good team at best. If Tom Brady gets hurt tomorrow, are their chances to win the Super Bowl even close to what they are with Brady in? I'd say no and put Indy or Dallas as the front runner.

I like the fact that we don't really have a drop off when Sage comes in. Some would even argue that he is better than Schaub at this point in their careers. It's good that the QB position is not another question mark like it had been for previous 5 years.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Where's the "When Hell freezes" option in the poll?
Old 12-15-2007   #14
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard Atlanta was looking for a QB.

Maybe we can trade one of them for two 2nds and swap 1sts.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

How about we look at this way: one could make an argument that our 2
most valuable players, on offense at the very least if not the whole team, would be Matt & Sage. Now how much is that "back-up" QB worth ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #16
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 13 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

I wouldn't mind getting a 2nd rounder for Schaub.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #17
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40 View Post
We have much needed depth and I would not trade that away at this time.
Yep! Ask the Cowboys how important it was to have Steve Beurlein step in when Aikman went down years ago.
Old 12-15-2007   #18
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I went with option 4 . I think Sage is worth that . If he continues to play the way he has his stock may rise . Just my two cents .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #19
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Just noticed I didn't vote yet, so I voted none of the options are good enough. Just remember folks, no matter your opinion of either Schaub or Sage or their status, Sage is one of the best backups in the league. If we trade him ('cause Schaub isn't going to be traded under any circumstances) we then have to get a good backup QB and then something more out of this trade. Without the something more what's the point of the trade?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Where's the "When Hell freezes" option in the poll?
no kidding...it took us 5 years to get decent quarterbacking around here and you just can't win consistently in the NFL without a decent QB.....if one guy goes down this team still has a viable offense.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read