Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-14-2007   #1
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The best Back-up to emerge from all of our injuries???

I'm just thinking here, that had we stayed healthy we would probably have a better record and a wildcard playoff birth. Since that didn't happen, who were the best no-names, back-ups, bench warmers, who most likely would have never seen playing time without the hardships that have struck our starters, but now might have earned a starting role next year?

Last edited by euro-Texan; 12-14-2007 at 11:49 AM. Reason: typo
euro-Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The best Back-up to emerge from all of our injuries???

Will Demps and Fred Bennett.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 260379 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Von Hutchins. He stepped in at safety, then he moved to corner. He's consistently made plays. He gets my vote for most valuable non-star on the team. If he and Demps are the starting safeties next year, and Bennett and Robinson are the corners, I'll stop hyperventilating about the secondary. Unfortunately, Robinson won't be back next year at full strength.
Old 12-14-2007   #4
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm thinking during the pre-season that Davis was around 5-6 depth wise as far as making the team and now.... We better buy this guy a tractor or something.
Old 12-14-2007   #5
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

It has to be Davis. He went from #5 to a tie at #2 with Walter
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #6
euro-Texan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
It has to be Davis. He went from #5 to a tie at #2 with Walter

Don't forget his special teams play.
Old 12-14-2007   #7
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Von Hutchins. He stepped in at safety, then he moved to corner. He's consistently made plays. He gets my vote for most valuable non-star on the team. If he and Demps are the starting safeties next year, and Bennett and Robinson are the corners, I'll stop hyperventilating about the secondary. Unfortunately, Robinson won't be back next year at full strength.
Don't want to derail this thread (my votes are Demps and Bennett), but based on your vote, do you think Von was giving up the "short" route to protect against getting burned by Marshall last night? Seemed that he was getting chewed up early and I was already a few beers in but did the team scheme Marshall different in the second half, or did Von change his coverage technique. Don't think he played bad at all, just an observation that I wanted to follow up on with someone that might have had a clearer head last night.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2007   #8
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah forgot about Davis.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 260379 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Going into the season, our WR corps was a question. Our secondary was not. We all knew exactly what we had in the secondary - Robinson and a bunch of trash. Then we have injuries to Earl and Simmons, so Hutchins got his chance. The secondary just had their best game of the season, and they have been quietly doing pretty well since Faggins sat down.

I still say Hutchins, and that's not to take anything away from any other player. We've had a lot of guys step it up.
Old 12-14-2007   #10
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Andre Davis.

/list.
Old 12-14-2007   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 121813 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
nice..
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
Don't want to derail this thread (my votes are Demps and Bennett), but based on your vote, do you think Von was giving up the "short" route to protect against getting burned by Marshall last night? Seemed that he was getting chewed up early and I was already a few beers in but did the team scheme Marshall different in the second half, or did Von change his coverage technique. Don't think he played bad at all, just an observation that I wanted to follow up on with someone that might have had a clearer head last night.
That's my assessment. The Broncos have been making big plays lately, and Cutler is really coming into his own. Marshall is probably the best WR in the NFL that no one knows about. That guy will be a perennial Pro Bowl WR, I think. Better to give up the underneath stuff in that situation. But I wasn't basing my vote on just last night's game, nor just on Hutchins' individual play. He's really shored up a weak spot. So has Demps, lately, but Hutchins was in there from the time Simmons got injured.
Old 12-14-2007   #13
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 145529 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Sage?

Oh how the rumblings are going to start getting louder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #14
euro-Texan
All Pro

Quote:
That's my assessment. The Broncos have been making big plays lately, and Cutler is really coming into his own. Marshall is probably the best WR in the NFL that no one knows about. That guy will be a perennial Pro Bowl WR, I think. Better to give up the underneath stuff in that situation. But I wasn't basing my vote on just last night's game, nor just on Hutchins' individual play. He's really shored up a weak spot. So has Demps, lately, but Hutchins was in there from the time Simmons got injured.

based on last night alone, I would say Demps. He was a monster, had he made those pics he would have been the MVP for sure. As far as my original question was more based on who might have never started a game for us had the injuy bug not hit. but now has earned a spot
Old 12-14-2007   #15
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No...understood, I just wansn't keying on VH last night except on the replays of Marshall's catches and then maybe the plays right after that an saw him giving Marshall a pretty good pad. Smart play, give up 4-5 short plays instead of one big one.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #16
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre Davis

Sage Rosenfels

---
I think Bennett would have got the nod at starter eventually, and after we got Will Demps, I figured he'd play eventually as well.
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #17
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Demps, Davis, Sage, Bennet, Kalu, Dayne, Walker have all stepped up big
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #18
euro-Texan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Sage?

Oh how the rumblings are going to start getting louder.
Well I sure wish hey would die down. Sage is a GREAT back-up, but Shaub has done nothing to lose the job. He has played quality ball all year and this whole phantom "intangible" crap has mesed with peoples thinking. I think there are already 10 or 12 threads on this issue though
Old 12-14-2007   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed. I was really hot for a CB at the bottom of the first two weeks ago. Are these guys growing up ? Or did Jon Hoke and Richard Smith suddenly become stinking geniuses over the course of two weeks ? Denver just came off a week where they blew out K.C. . Tired legs or well motivted guys in great scheme ? From my tree, it looks as though Kubiack took the hand cuffs off the DC and the DB coach and let slip the dogs of war. Kubick wanted this one baaaad.
Old 12-14-2007   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know 'bout "the best"...but 65's debute has got to rank as one of the best most improbable among o-lineman. I never saw it coming. That's for sure.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read