Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-14-2007   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Morlon Greenwood quietly putting up solid numbers. Again.

Every year everyone clamors for the release of Morlon Greenwood. And every year I feel like the only one who realizes that he's a solid contributer.

Do we pay him too much? Absolutely
But is he a solid LB on this team? Absolutely

Its easy to get rid of overpaid players when:
a) They are very old and declining
b) Your team has great depth

We qualify for neither of those.

So let me be the first to say that I am GLAD we have Greenwood aboard. Here are his stats for this season:

101 total tackles (13th in NFL)
80 solo tackles (9th in NFL)
1 INT
1 FF
4 PD (6th among LBs)

Not too flashy, but he just does his job and does it well. Second 10+ tackle game in a row for him. When he is playing like this, the defense does better.
Old 12-14-2007   #2
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Morlon Greenwood quietly putting up solid numbers. Again.

With Ryans hobbled a bit, Greenwood has really picked up the slack.
Old 12-14-2007   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Get ready for the "stats don't tell the whole story" comments, and "he gets most of those tackles five yards downfield".

I've come to the conclusion that replacing Greenwood is not our biggest need. Is he worth the money? Well, probably not, but at least he comes to play.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #4
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5747 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Greenwood and Anderson had huge nights last night. Both were all over the ball, either on the tackle or stretching the play out.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Get ready for the "stats don't tell the whole story" comments, and "he gets most of those tackles five yards downfield".

I've come to the conclusion that replacing Greenwood is not our biggest need. Is he worth the money? Well, probably not, but at least he comes to play.

That's the real point here. Morlon Greenwood got over-paid a few years ago. Hey, it's professional football and it happens. He's a respectable NFL linebacker. He's not a pro bowler or a future HOF candidate but he belongs in an NFL game. He's not a gross liability. He does his job.

Could we find an upgrade at that spot? Of course we could and we probably will eventually. Right now we have bigger fish to fry than finding someone to bump Morlon Greenwood off the field. People need to get over the big free agent contract he signed. It's done, we can't make it go away or somehow undo it. It's not Morlon's fault that Casserly gladly overpaid. It's not Morlon's fault that teams pay too much for free agents far too often.

Greenwood and Ryans are set. That third spot could use some attention however. Nobody has three (or four) monster linebackers. there's a weakest link in every linebacking corp but if Greenwood is ours than we're doing better than a lot of teams.
Old 12-14-2007   #6
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Every year everyone clamors for the release of Morlon Greenwood. And every year I feel like the only one who realizes that he's a solid contributer.

Do we pay him too much? Absolutely
But is he a solid LB on this team? Absolutely

Its easy to get rid of overpaid players when:
a) They are very old and declining
b) Your team has great depth

We qualify for neither of those.

So let me be the first to say that I am GLAD we have Greenwood aboard. Here are his stats for this season:

101 total tackles (13th in NFL)
80 solo tackles (9th in NFL)
1 INT
1 FF
4 PD (6th among LBs)

Not too flashy, but he just does his job and does it well. Second 10+ tackle game in a row for him. When he is playing like this, the defense does better.

I agree, he has been very solid, I was saying the same thing last night.

Where are the sacks in your stats? He has had a few this season IIRC.
Old 12-14-2007   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post

I'll second those arguments.

I'm really appalled by our LB pass covering abilities. Even though that PD number puts Greenwood at the top of the league among LBs, as a whole, our LBs don't help much in pass coverage.

It's like they understand what their zones are, but not how to play those zones. I.E. when someone enters your zone, you cover them.

I understand when the zone is flooded, the LB is put in a bad situation. But OCs aren't having to do that to challenge our LBs.

If our LBs would learn pass protection, then our corners & safeties would be able to play real man coverages. They would be able to cheat a little, instead of having to keep everything in front of them like they do now.

But I do agree that replacing Morlon shouldn't be very high on our list of to-dos.
Old 12-14-2007   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Watching Ryans get faked on the ball fake and let Scheffler (sp?) get open downfield last night was an indication that our team is hungry to stuff the run and isn't good at covering the middle of the field

Ryans is by far our smartest LB, and even he bit hard on that one
Old 12-14-2007   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I gotta give some props to Greenwood the last few weeks. It looks like he has taken on more responsibility as DeMeco has been hobbled a bit. Average players playing above average tend to happen most when your elite players play like superstars. For instance it's no coincidence that the secondary looks better when Mario is a beast on the edge. It's a synergistic thing.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #10
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Morlon has certainly played well the last couple of weeks. He's solid player who has stepped up his game and hopefully he'll keep playing well these last 2 games. But if in the offseason there's someone out there who would be a clear upgrade over him we should pursue him but even if we don't upgrade that position Morlon Greenwood won't kill us.
Old 12-14-2007   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

As our safeties get better, the middle may not resemble the Texas panhandle; wide open spaces with one or two bulls scattered. I'm thinking after this next draft and a FA or two, our next moves will start to selectively move out some of our current roster.
Old 12-14-2007   #12
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Watching Ryans get faked on the ball fake and let Scheffler (sp?) get open downfield last night was an indication that our team is hungry to stuff the run and isn't good at covering the middle of the field

Ryans is by far our smartest LB, and even he bit hard on that one
DeMeco certainly bit on the fake, but I'm sure him having a bad wheel led him to try and overcompensate a bit and jumped the run. The Broncos were able to exploit the middle of the field in the passing game, and ordinarily with Ryans healthy that wouldn't have been the case. Still Greenwood had a very good game yesterday. I'm also happy with what I've seen from Anderson. I noticed Clark on the sidelines so does this mean that Charlie has taken his starting job?
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #13
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Greenwood's been solid the past couple weeks. Anderson looked pretty good last night too. Put a shot on Cutler on the called QB run, and looked good on the blitzes.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #14
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I want an impact player at WILL, and last week Greenwood was just that an impact guy, last night he was OK but not a big impact.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #15
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77922 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Even as recently as last week I was slamming the failings of Greenwood, Clark, Anderson etc for what appeared to me to be Ryans having to do all the tackling for the LB corps.

It would seem Ryans is just that much better than those guys, they have skills but need Ryans to not be 100% to really shine as individuals.

My apologies LB corps.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read