Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2007   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Is that two good games in a row by Richard Smith?

So I haven't been a fan of his the entire season. He plays his defense too conservatively I think, but the last two games I think the D has seemed more aggressive. Maybe that's due to Mario playing some incredible football and the D-line pressuring, but has it seemed like Smith has blitzed more the last two games?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is that two good games in a row by Richard Smith?

Richard Smith has played vanilla for the first half, fire for the second half two years in a row
Old 12-13-2007   #3
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I'm seriously confused, is he still calling the defense, or has someone else stolen the headphones? It seems like night and day.
Old 12-13-2007   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251514 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted this in another thread. It should have been here.

What I'm seeing on the defensive side is primarily "buy-in" to the system. I'm not terribly impressed with Richard Smith, Frank Bush, or their "defensive philosophy" as it's been displayed thus far but they've had their moments where things have clicked from time to time. In the past two weeks it seems like the players on that side of the ball are back to where they were in week two against Carolina. They're just playing their butts off and clearly believe in what they're doing.

I don't think you necessarily must have a great system to win in the NFL. You can have an adequate system if it works to your better players strengths and if your defense believes in what they're doing. You can have success with that. It's not as good obviously as having them buy into something like the Buddy Ryan 46 back in the day but you can have some success.

They've had two good wins the past couple of weeks and are playing with confidence. Lets see what they do in Indy. It's unlikely that we'll beat the Colts but lets see if we can make it a game.
Old 12-14-2007   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

1. For whatever reason, Richard Smith has had two straight seasons of bad football to begin the season...only to end the season on a rampage.

2. Same goes for the offense: Calhoun announced he was leaving, and or offense handled the Browns and Colts with relative ease. Sherman announces HE is leaving, and look at what happened the next two weeks: OFFENSIVE EXPLOSION.

3. You guys will hate me for this, but oh well: Sage is sustaining drives and also getting us into TD scroring position more effectively and frequently than Schaub has been. And when you put up TDs instead of field goals, and when you don't get blinsided and fumble the ball away or get sacked out of TD range, you're going to put distance between you and the other team...youre going to force the other team's offense to get one-dimensional and that means our defense can take more chances with blitzes. I saw a lot of "play it close, play it safe" by our defense when Schaub is QB'ing vs. when Sage is helping our team to punch it into the end zone.

The litmus test, IMO, comes via our last two games vs. the Colts and Jags. I don't see us beating the Colts because Peyton is a sicko who wants bloody revenge against us for what happened last year...I doubt the same thing happens again, especially in THEIR house. We have been eaten alive by TEs this year, and Dallas Clark and Tony Gonzalez are going to run wild (IMO).

I think we beat the Jags at home to close out at 8-8.

And then we see how the off-season unfolds. Richard Smith has seemingly pulled himself out of the guillotine AGAIN. Just when you think he's gone, he's coming back...
Old 12-14-2007   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Y'all do realize that with the injuries we have had in the secondary.........we are forced to play alot of zone "vanilla defense".

I'm curious to see how different the defense would be called if we had a healthy secondary..........even when they had Dunta they still had burnt Faggins starting.

Sad Dunta got hurt Dunta and Bennett would've made one hellava combo next season.

We also need to find a legit "monster" to come of the edge at LBer to pair with DeMeco........that would greatly help our defense.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #7
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected

Your post confuses me, Did our secondary magically get healthier and thats why we're suddenly blitzing more? I'm under the impression that our secondary is more banged up then when we were playing vanilla.
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2007   #8
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 92530 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's my take.

Addition by subtraction.

Faggins isn't out there. I think he's a great nickel back/dime back but he's too slow to play CB2. Bennet is a legit player by the way guys. But our safety play has been MUCH better the last two games. Demps isn't a ball hawk but he can provide some support. Hutchins isn't slow. I don't think he's a great cover corner but he's faster than Faggins.

Just my take.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #9
austintexanite
All Pro

Had a great laugh with a friend I made at Scholtz's on San Jacinto, we were both giving him credit and were saying what took him so long.
Old 12-14-2007   #10
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Here's my take.

Addition by subtraction.

Faggins isn't out there. I think he's a great nickel back/dime back but he's too slow to play CB2. Bennet is a legit player by the way guys. But our safety play has been MUCH better the last two games. Demps isn't a ball hawk but he can provide some support. Hutchins isn't slow. I don't think he's a great cover corner but he's faster than Faggins.

Just my take.

Mike
Kinda whats been said and thought alot this year. Heres what I think about Will Demps. He may not be a ball hawking free safety, but he hits like a hammer and makes a damn good brick wall.
Old 12-14-2007   #11
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
3. You guys will hate me for this, but oh well: Sage is sustaining drives and also getting us into TD scroring position more effectively and frequently than Schaub has been. And when you put up TDs instead of field goals, and when you don't get blinsided and fumble the ball away or get sacked out of TD range, you're going to put distance between you and the other team...youre going to force the other team's offense to get one-dimensional and that means our defense can take more chances with blitzes. I saw a lot of "play it close, play it safe" by our defense when Schaub is QB'ing vs. when Sage is helping our team to punch it into the end zone.
You know I don't know what to say. I've never know what it's like to basically be in quarterback heaven. I love Schaub. He's been good-great. And he will continue getting better. But then there's Sage. Sage has been incredible. I've been at the Tennessee & Colts games. I was also at the Broncos game tonight. There is no comparison between our offense in tonights game (with Sage) and the other two games (with Schaub STARTING).

Look, I'm just saying I don't know who to go for. It's looking like Sage could certainly get us a valuable pick in the offseason. But, what if Sage turns out to be the guy that should be our QB and Schaub is a bust? Then we'll be kicking ourselves. The one thing I can say for Schaub is there was no Andre in either the Indy or Titans games, and Sage has had him. Let me just leave you with this. Schaub in 11 games had 9 tds. Sage in 7 games has 11.
Old 12-14-2007   #12
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 92530 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
Kinda whats been said and thought alot this year. Heres what I think about Will Demps. He may not be a ball hawking free safety, but he hits like a hammer and makes a damn good brick wall.
Since we're adopting Texans this year... is it too late to adopt Faggins and send him to boarding school?

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #13
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
Your post confuses me, Did our secondary magically get healthier and thats why we're suddenly blitzing more? I'm under the impression that our secondary is more banged up then when we were playing vanilla.
As Bennett proved he can play and the surprising play of Demps.......the coaching staff probably has more trust.

Before Demps and Bennett even with a healthy Dunta our secondary stunk.......Faggins was THAT BAD.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #14
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 31617 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Judging by the last two games it looks to me like Richard Smith was warned that he was vanilla-ing himself out of a job.
markn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read