Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2007   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Darius Walker the answer?

I dunno what to make of Walker's performance tonight.

It was "good".. i liked what I saw. I think the commentators had his strengths pinned.. he isnt exactly fast, and he isnt exactly powerful, but he has great awareness and patience.

I liked the way he actually LOOKED for holes and then found them and RAN THROUGH THEM.. its been awhile since ive seen one of our RBs take such an innovative approach to running the ball.

But the Broncos run defense this year is horrid, and there is no denying that Dayne, when he came in, was more impressive running the ball.

I really really really want to give Walker the ball and tell him he is our starter, but I still feel like he has alot to prove, and learn, before he can be considered a legitimate starting RB.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Darius Walker the answer?

Lets not forget that Denvers defense is horrible against the run. Lets see him against Indy and Jax befoer we make up our minds
Old 12-13-2007   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

He's the example of a change of pace back at a good price .
Old 12-13-2007   #4
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Walker-Dayne combo for me. I have no problem with that whatsoever. If someone wants flashy RB-play, I hear they are taking fans over at the Saints
Old 12-13-2007   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

It's only been two games so if you had to grade Walker it's probably an incomplete still. I want to see how he does a much better Indy defense. I don't know if Jacksonville will play their starters much the final game of the season but if they do, I want to see how Walker plays against them as well. I just hope we don't go all Chester Taylor on him and proclaim him the savior after one good game...

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #6
checo446
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 checo446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to checo446

I think Darius Walker deserves a spot on this team in the future, however, I still think we either need to draft someone in this year's draft, aka Jonathan Stewart or Slaton or someone later or pick up a guy like Michael Turner in free agency. We could definitely use an upgrade at the position.
checo446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #7
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

Thunder and lightening, Dayne and Walker make a good combo.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2007   #8
SA Texan
Veteran

I loved the combo, but is Walker the answer by himself? Probably not.
SA Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #9
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 18146 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Has good vision, needs to put on 10-15 lbs of muscle.Can take a hit pretty good, too.
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #10
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6021 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

I'd prefer a Taylor-Dayne combo myself with a little Walker thrown in.

I love Walker patience and vision. He took a broken zone stretch cut back to the left and picked up 9 yards. Can't complain about that.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I wasn't impressed at all with what I saw.

I've got my fingers crossed, hoping Chris Taylor & Ahman Green are 100% next year, and we draft a real offensive lineman in the draft(LT, or Center), and get Alan Faneca.

You saw what Dayne did when there was a hole. If our offensive line was more consistent making holes, our run game would be just fine.

Edit: I was slightly more impressed, when I was reminded that he came out as a true junior.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 12-14-2007 at 07:35 AM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #12
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
I'd prefer a Taylor-Dayne combo myself with a little Walker thrown in. ...

Just messin. Not sure if Walker is THE answer, as mentioned above - let's see what happens the next 2 games. (Not to hijack, but the same can be said of Sage too, I think.)

I'd like to see if we can still find that speed rusher to offset the "vision" and "power" running backs we have. Was that Taylor? It's been so long, I've forgotten.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #13
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I still wish this team had a running back who is a legit threat to go 60+ yards when he gets the ball. Walker is not that guy, neither is Dayne.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #14
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I still wish this team had a running back who is a legit threat to go 60+ yards when he gets the ball. Walker is not that guy, neither is Dayne.
Agree. Walker is not the answer. Guys having one game don't equal answer. This place is manic sometimes. We still need to draft or pick up a #1 back.
Old 12-14-2007   #15
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I really don't think that we need that type of gamebreaking RB. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have that kind of talent on our team, but IMO, it's unnecessary. If we could get a consistent running back who gets positive yardage every run, I'd be happy. Isn't that what Kubiak's offensive scheme calls for? Making third downs maneagable by making positive yardage?

Having someone who can bust out for 60+ yards would be great, but I would settle for someone who can just run the clock and get us the yardage we need.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #16
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Agree. Walker is not the answer. Guys having one game don't equal answer. This place is manic sometimes. We still need to draft or pick up a #1 back.
Indeed. Dayne (while I take back all of my fat jokes) has been serviceable of late. Walker has been alright. Neither are great but they're doing enough right now to at least make folks honor the run.

They're playing alright. But, IMO, "alright" isn't good enough. We need someone who can come in and be a true #1 back.

Short version - DW is not the answer (nor is the Dayne Train).
Old 12-14-2007   #17
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand why some people are so amped about Chris Taylor. He played one game last season against a bad Browns team. To count on him to be the answer after playing one regular season game, and after missing all of this season with an injury seems kind of foolish to me...

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #18
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I really don't think that we need that type of gamebreaking RB. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have that kind of talent on our team, but IMO, it's unnecessary. If we could get a consistent running back who gets positive yardage every run, I'd be happy. Isn't that what Kubiak's offensive scheme calls for? Making third downs maneagable by making positive yardage?

Having someone who can bust out for 60+ yards would be great, but I would settle for someone who can just run the clock and get us the yardage we need.
That type of back doesn't get it done in the NFL when you are trying to keep your QB healthy. 60 yards doesn't scare anyone and it sure as heck doesn't make anyone respect the run. Unless you are the Pats who have unreal talent on their O-line, at QB and at WR, then teams need to have players that make other teams pay attention. Dayne and what we have are serviceable but no one is ever going to sit and watch him get our offense off the field by breaking one.
Old 12-14-2007   #19
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

i tell u what he just might be. I think he's faster than many give him credit for & he seems to be very good a being patient & hitting the hole when it opens up, 2 very good traits for a zone blocking RB. he'll need to put on a few pounds so he can take the pounding, but i wouldn't mind seeing what he can do back there for us next year, with Dayne (for 1 more year) or someone else spelling him every so often.

I'm really encouraged by his play. Yeah by himself he isn't putting up eye popping stats, but the run game is all of a sudden looking half decent. 16 for 46 yds. against TB isn't great but it was also his 1st time up with the big boys. & what he did last night i don't think was a fluke either. Yeah Denver's rush D isn't great but still, he looked like he knew where he wanted to do on almost every carry.

Last edited by Mr teX; 12-14-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #20
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post

Having a gamebreaker at RB would be one more thing for an opposing D to worry about.

We've already seen the differences having AJ on the field creates, now imagine an RB with elite speed running agianst those 7 man fronts. Or if the D brings 8 to stop the run, imagine AJ, Walters and OD working agaisnt 3 DBs.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read