Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-14-2007   #21
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 10 thoughts from the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
yeah they were great..dont know was it mentioned in the gameday thread(going reading it now) but i remember chester got a kickass block for daynes td.. worth watching again
Along with the O-line, we had a certain FB that was blocking well, breaking holes open and even scored....
Old 12-14-2007   #22
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Somebody did a study and found out that coaches who go for it on fourth and short (like 2 yards or less) more often are usually very successful at it. I know it was in a popular magazine (maybe Time or PopSci), but I don't remember who did it or what issue. Sorry.

Maybe many of these coaches are aware of it, and I do believe in it myself; but it doesn't work when the opposing D-line is killing you (Go Texans! ).
It was a statistical analysis and projected expected risk/reward. The conclusion was that coaches were way too conservative.
Old 12-14-2007   #23
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I agree. tried to make the point in the draft forum that our offensive line play has been much improved, granted for a variety of reasons, never the less they battle & compete despite injury losses
Well, they had some stretches of very good play, especially later in the game when they were running well. Sage had to fight through a lot of pressure though too. I bet everyone watching gave a collective groan when Salaam started limping.

The Texans need to get some GOOD and YOUNG lineman now; if not they will have some glaring deficiencies very soon. They don't even need foresight to predict this; there is enough hindsight with failures in the line to provide all the evidence they need.
Old 12-14-2007   #24
spent
Buccaneer Freak

Send a message via AIM to spent Send a message via Yahoo to spent

congrats guys on this win! we were pulling for yall!!
spent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #25
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Well, they had some stretches of very good play, especially later in the game when they were running well. Sage had to fight through a lot of pressure though too. I bet everyone watching gave a collective groan when Salaam started limping.

The Texans need to get some GOOD and YOUNG lineman now; if not they will have some glaring deficiencies very soon. They don't even need foresight to predict this; there is enough hindsight with failures in the line to provide all the evidence they need.
Yes, I did say "Uh-oh" when I saw Salaam limping, but he definitely deserves some respect for not coming out of the game and playing through the pain. That was a gutsy performance on his part.
Old 12-14-2007   #26
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I had to get another beer, the thought of Salaam leaving were too much for me.
Old 12-14-2007   #27
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

1. Collinsworth was a pretty damned good announcer, IMO. That other guy though... pre-game, i thought he wanted to make out with c-worth or something... looked shifty, untrustworthy even. i thought i might've even heard ol' chris make fun of the other dude a few times. gumbel should live in a sterile bubble just to make sure that doesn't happen again.

2. Hearing the crowd chant "mario" is nice.

3. Andre Johnson probably should've been able to just kinda juke into the endzone instead of go OoB, but we've got vontae, so i'll just chalk it up to his extreme humility. he didn't want all the glory of the td, he wanted a teammate to have it. maybe he was trying to get ron dayne a td against his old team. i don't know.

4. Will Demps pissed me off. Two or three INT's he SHOULD have had. they hit his hands, no excuses.
Old 12-14-2007   #28
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
1. Collinsworth was a pretty damned good announcer, IMO. That other guy though... pre-game, i thought he wanted to make out with c-worth or something... looked shifty, untrustworthy even. i thought i might've even heard ol' chris make fun of the other dude a few times. gumbel should live in a sterile bubble just to make sure that doesn't happen again.

2. Hearing the crowd chant "mario" is nice.

3. Andre Johnson probably should've been able to just kinda juke into the endzone instead of go OoB, but we've got vontae, so i'll just chalk it up to his extreme humility. he didn't want all the glory of the td, he wanted a teammate to have it. maybe he was trying to get ron dayne a td against his old team. i don't know.

4. Will Demps pissed me off. Two or three INT's he SHOULD have had. they hit his hands, no excuses.
The play Ron '2 tons of fun' Dayne broke for the 25 yarder Vonta completely steamrolled a DB. I could make out who it was, but he was lit up. Dayne should be buying Leach a couple dozen colaches this morning.

Demps has stone hands for sure, but he's helped our secondary in a big way. He and Bennett will continue to smack the crap out of people until they knock themselves out.

Old 12-14-2007   #29
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected

i know. i was just trying my best to come up with things to complain about...
Old 12-14-2007   #30
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

1. I said it elsewhere, but I'll repeat: I saw offensive linemen making plays. Winston was highlighted by the announcers. That's the stuff I've been waiting to see from the o-line. But like Runner, I agree that they need to bring in some young, good talent. We can't expect Flanagan and Salaam to last another three years in the league at the same level they are at now.

2. Dayne is doing what he does best - demolishing opponents with size. He works best in the third and fourth quarters and in November and December. All the Texans need is a running back for the first half of the season.

3. I wish we could have gotten a few interceptions, but I'll take what we got. It did the work, and the interceptions will come.

4. Somehow I get the feeling the Texans knew the Denver playbook. I'm not sure how that happened.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #31
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
Yeah...Mathis I feel is losing his job. I mean he is only good at returing and Davis is doing that pretty well and he can play full time WR also...Mathis is a GREAT returner BTW IMO he is better than Davis...but its about value here, you have a guy who play WR and Return kicks vs a guy who can return kicks...and...get hurt.
The problem with that is...his histroy sugests Davis dosen't take hits very well. He will be hit alot returning kicks.

Quote:
2. Will Demps may not be a ball hawking FS, but he's a damn good brick wall.
There is no excuse for getting you hands on three balls and dropping all three. They didn't need the turn overs as it turned out. But I noticed Salaam turned his ankle durring the game. They danged well might of needed the extra posssessions.

They need to get that fixed this off season. Eyes , hands , mind what ever it is, it needs to get fixed. Now we know why we got him on the cheap.

If A.J. can whip the body traps by not sticking his hands of gold in front of him...Demps can whip this. If he needs the lazik...get him an operation...if he needs some dexterity in his hands get him a juggler....turnovers are gold in the NFL we need everyone of them. Coach the lad up.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-14-2007 at 12:48 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #32
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
1. I said it elsewhere, but I'll repeat: I saw offensive linemen making plays. Winston was highlighted by the announcers. That's the stuff I've been waiting to see from the o-line. But like Runner, I agree that they need to bring in some young, good talent. We can't expect Flanagan and Salaam to last another three years in the league at the same level they are at now.

2. Dayne is doing what he does best - demolishing opponents with size. He works best in the third and fourth quarters and in November and December. All the Texans need is a running back for the first half of the season.

3. I wish we could have gotten a few interceptions, but I'll take what we got. It did the work, and the interceptions will come.

4. Somehow I get the feeling the Texans knew the Denver playbook. I'm not sure how that happened.

Great post. And with all due respect beerlover, how much better would this team be if they had.... OMG, two athletic guys rutting on the line. What jumps out 'bout Winston is that he executes blocks out in space one on one. We need alot more of that to bring this coach's full playbook into the arsonal. Just saying there. We've stood pat on the line long enough. Time to move on. Salaam's dinged now..wait for it. It's coming.

Everyone misses the full back,Except euro-Texan but Leech was money last night. He delt out some serious misery.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-14-2007 at 12:51 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #33
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"And that's why he plays defense." I think Faulk made the comment on the post game show.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #34
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spent View Post
congrats guys on this win! we were pulling for yall!!
Thank you, that is a very nice thing to post. Good luck to you guys also, you have had a much better season then I thought you guys would have. And I never thought you would be as dominate with the loss of Cadillac, so your season is most impressive.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #35
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
"And that's why he plays defense." I think Faulk made the comment on the post game show.
yeah, i made that comment to my dad after the second one ricocheted off his hands....
Old 12-14-2007   #36
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Also, Cutler rockets the ball, I think it really surprised Demps the ball was there, then they bounced off before he reacted.
Old 12-14-2007   #37
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm impressed.

With all the guys we have on IR and we are still winning games, shows alot of potential for this team in the future.

Great game.

P.S. What was the preseason over/under on Mario's sack total (for the year) for considering he had a good season?
Old 12-14-2007   #38
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

i disagree- when you're standing (waiting for the pass) and somebody with momentum pushes you, it nearly impossible to change direction
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #39
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
I'm impressed.

With all the guys we have on IR and we are still winning games, shows alot of potential for this team in the future.

Great game.

P.S. What was the preseason over/under on Mario's sack total (for the year) for considering he had a good season?
there was a thread on it...I posted ten I think. I ain't looking it up though.
Old 12-14-2007   #40
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Just want to echo a few of your thoughts about the OL. I thought that was one of the better games a Texans OL unit has ever played. Opened up some great holes and cutback lanes for our backs and gave Sage some great protection on more than a few occasions. Brisiel is filling in well for Weary, it's good to see guys stepping up.

I definitely agree we need to put some effort into getting some young talent on the line this off-season. We drafted two tackles in '06, I'd like to see us look especially at LT and C this off-season.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read