Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-24-2007   #161
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage Rosenfels...3 starts...3 wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Yep, Sage's failure today is a direct reflection on Matt Schaubs ability to QB and all that

And you're usually a good poster here madd what the heck?

Seriously, everybody crying about Matt Schaub today better get real comfortable with the idea of him being under center to start next year. Get your hankies ready, cause some of you guys are probably going to need em.
Nobody's crying over MS and I'm sure you're right about him being under center next year. Do you think MS would've fared better against the Colts? Facts are facts, and he ain't not no better than SR and I think they are both quality backup QB's and NEITHER has done ANYTHING to show us differently.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007   #162
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
Nobody's crying over MS and I'm sure you're right about him being under center next year. Do you think MS would've fared better against the Colts? Facts are facts, and he ain't not no better than SR and I think they are both quality backup QB's and NEITHER has done ANYTHING to show us differently.
C'mon man - you can put some MORE negatives in that "sentence"...I have faith in ya'!
Old 12-25-2007   #163
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 8295 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
C'mon man - you can put some MORE negatives in that "sentence"...I have faith in ya'!
"ain't not noway nowhere"

Merry Christmas everyone!
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007   #164
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Sage for president crew?

Crickets........

Figures.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007   #165
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Sage for president crew?

Crickets........

Figures.

* raises hand *

I didn't see the game yesterday, but I'm still of the opinion Sage is one of the best backup QBs in the league, and I'm damn glad we have him. Despite what happened, I still say that. There are very few teams in the NFL that have as good a backup as Sage.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007   #166
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
* raises hand *

I didn't see the game yesterday, but I'm still of the opinion Sage is one of the best backup QBs in the league, and I'm damn glad we have him. Despite what happened, I still say that. There are very few teams in the NFL that have as good a backup as Sage.
Agreed. Sage is one of the best backup QBs in the league.... but he isn't a starter.
Old 12-25-2007   #167
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Agreed. Sage is one of the best backup QBs in the league.... but he isn't a starter.

I bet he could start for Miami right now.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-25-2007   #168
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Schaub hasn't really proven that he is a fulltime starter yet either... staying healthy would be a good start.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007   #169
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4662 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I bet he could start for Miami right now.

He started for them 2 years ago. Last six games they won back to back.
Old 12-25-2007   #170
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=maddogmrb;810991]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post

Sage is pretty much an interception machine, and he's always been that for the most part.

QUOTE]

You're right his INT to TD ratio is almost as bad as Schaub's........

IMO, it appears that we have 2 quality backup QB's and no quality NFL starter.

Let's see. Three interceptions.

1. tipped ball
2. bad throw
3. receiver forgot it was his job to catch the damned thing and by failing to catch it made it an easy pic for the receiver.

Sorry by my count only ONE of those counts against the man. But refresh my memory if you will. Was it Sage that let Indy score seemingly everytime they had the ball from the 2nd quarter on? Did he go out there and play strong saftey and let them run rimshot over him? I forget.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007   #171
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Sage for president crew?

Crickets........

Figures.

I would rather stand my ground and get my nose rubbed in it than fold like a cheap card table because Sage had ONE bad game. Kindly explain how Sage's bad game lead to the Colt's offense scoring so often. Did Sage rub off on the defense as well? I stand by my original statement.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007   #172
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing is, in the Sage's three wins, the Defense, and the team as a whole played great. Mario Williams started pressuring the QB, the DBs started covering, the whole shebang. I'm not saying that Sage didn't do a great job QBing, but he had a LOT of help from the defense.

Now, when the Texans lose, many point fingers at the Texan D and claim that that is the reason why they lost. The simple fact is that the Texan D is also why Sage may have won those past three games.

And then you claim that only one of Sage's INTs are his fault...well, I can assure you that many of Schaub's INTs were flukes as well. So are many of his injuries, but some just can't see the reason in that and label him as "fragile", even though he's been taking cheap shots and freak landings that would injure many other QBs.

The fact of the matter is, that although the Defense didn't play well, neither did Sage. Don't defend him, he wasn't able to keep a drive going, and that wore out the defense, creating a chain reaction that just kept going and destroyed the Texans this week. We'll see how Sage performs against the Jags, but so far, Sage has beaten 3 mediocre teams and lost against one good one. Next week is a huge test to see if Sage really is as amazing as some make him out to be
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007   #173
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
The thing is, in the Sage's three wins, the Defense, and the team as a whole played great. Mario Williams started pressuring the QB, the DBs started covering, the whole shebang. I'm not saying that Sage didn't do a great job QBing, but he had a LOT of help from the defense.

Now, when the Texans lose, many point fingers at the Texan D and claim that that is the reason why they lost. The simple fact is that the Texan D is also why Sage may have won those past three games.

And then you claim that only one of Sage's INTs are his fault...well, I can assure you that many of Schaub's INTs were flukes as well. So are many of his injuries, but some just can't see the reason in that and label him as "fragile", even though he's been taking cheap shots and freak landings that would injure many other QBs.

The fact of the matter is, that although the Defense didn't play well, neither did Sage. Don't defend him, he wasn't able to keep a drive going, and that wore out the defense, creating a chain reaction that just kept going and destroyed the Texans this week. We'll see how Sage performs against the Jags, but so far, Sage has beaten 3 mediocre teams and lost against one good one. Next week is a huge test to see if Sage really is as amazing as some make him out to be
The defense played better because they were off the field less because the offense held the ball longer.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007   #174
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think what we're looking at right now is that we have a very good backup who shouldn't be a starter, and a younger guy who still needs to get better. Schaub isn't much better, if at all, than Sage, but he is younger and we have to hope he will get better with experience. I think he will.

The question of who is better is kind of a moot point, because neither one is really starter quality right now; but, Schaub has to start somewhere.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007   #175
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I think what we're looking at right now is that we have a very good backup who shouldn't be a starter, and a younger guy who still needs to get better. Schaub isn't much better, if at all, than Sage, but he is younger and we have to hope he will get better with experience. I think he will.

The question of who is better is kind of a moot point, because neither one is really starter quality right now; but, Schaub has to start somewhere.
Yes, yes and... yes.

Thank you
Old 12-26-2007   #176
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head-001 View Post

Let's see. Three interceptions.

1. tipped ball
2. bad throw
3. receiver forgot it was his job to catch the damned thing and by failing to catch it made it an easy pic for the receiver.

Sorry by my count only ONE of those counts against the man. But refresh my memory if you will. Was it Sage that let Indy score seemingly everytime they had the ball from the 2nd quarter on? Did he go out there and play strong saftey and let them run rimshot over him? I forget.
Cause none of MS's INTs were tipped balls or bad receiver plays

Why does Sage get the benefit of the doubt while MS gets hated on for the same things?
Old 12-26-2007   #177
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, if you want to play the "was the interception the QB's fault" game, let's play.

Schaub's picks (9 total):

1. Kansas City--1st quarter, no score. Schaub threw a pass up for grabs into the endzone. AJ didn't really make a play for it, but not a wise choice by Matt.

2. Indy--3rd quarter, down 17-10. Pass tipped by receiver deep in our territory. If you are of the school of thought that a tipped pass absolves a QB of responsibility, this one is not Matt's fault.

3. Indy--3rd quarter, down 24-10. Bad read at a terrible time--JJ had just returned a punt inside the Indy 20, but Matt forced one.

4. Mia--1st quarter, up 7-3. I don't recall this pick, but I'll presume it was Matt's fault.

5. at Jax--4th quarter, down 30-10. Davis gets outfought on a slant pattern in garbage time.

6/7: at SD; first was with the score 21-3 (returned for a TD) while the second was at 28-3. Both bad passes, but we were getting routed as it was.

8: at Clev--2nd quarter, up 7-0. Ball bounced off of Daniels hands. This one was on Daniels, who was in the midst of a terrible game. This pick turned the game around completely.

9: at Clev--4th quarter (8 minutes left), down 20-10. Schaub tried to hit AJ on 2nd and 22 for a first down. Not a good play (or throw), but in that situation--down 10, 8 minutes left, deep in your own territory--you have to throw for the sticks.

So, of those 9 picks, 2 (#2 and #8) were off the hands of Matt's intended targets and another 2 (#1 and #5) were when his WRs made minimal effort for the ball. Of the other 5 picks, 4 (#3, #6, #7 and #9) came when we were trailing by at least 10 points and pressing to get back into the game.

Not that I believe any interception should be ignored; I'm not of the tipped-passes-are-forgiven school except in the most blatant of bad plays by a WR. But if the pro-Sagers are going to alibi him for such passes, then Matt should get that same acknowledgment.

EDIT: The above notwithstanding, I'm very happy we have Sage as our backup. As any fantasy football owner knows, competent QBs are in incredibly short supply in the NFL these days. So I'm not prepared to say that Sage isn't a starter-caliber QB: sadly, I can't name 32 QBs who are superior to Sage. But Schaub is one QB who is (in my acknowledgedly biased opinion). The only question in my mind is whether Matt can make it through a full season--freak hits and all--in one piece. Until that question is answered, we need a solid backup, and Sage fits that bill.

Last edited by Hooston Texan; 12-26-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007   #178
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Haha. Wow.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007   #179
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed. Sage is one of the best backup QBs in the league.... but he isn't a{The} starter.
There fixed it for ya.
Old 12-29-2007   #180
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Maybe we can package these two guys for one "his highness":

Schaub and Rosenfels have combined for 25 TD's; 23 INT's with 4,030 yards
Here's the breakdown:

Player POS Att Comp Yds Pct TD INT Rate
M. Schaub QB 289 192 2241 66.4 9 9 87.2
S. Rosenfels QB 222 143 1556 64.4 14 11 85.3

**excuse the formatting above. I've messed with it and nothing works to space it out. I'm in the car on a Verizon access card and it's slow right now so I got tired of waiting for the page to load...ha ha

Last edited by Twitch-Houston; 12-29-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read