Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-13-2007   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Sumlin Hired at UH

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3153106

Quote:
Houston Cougars has hired Oklahoma Sooners co-offensive coordinator Kevin Sumlin as its head coach, a person told of the decision said Thursday morning.

Sumlin would replace Art Briles, who resigned Nov. 28 to take the top job at Baylor.

Sumlin has been Oklahoma's co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach for the past two seasons, after three seasons as specials teams and tight ends coach.

Sumlin was assistant head coach and offensive coordinator for two years at Texas A&M; he also has coached at Purdue, Minnesota, Wyoming and Washington State.Sumlin will be the eighth minority coach in the former Division I-A. Sumlin, 43, was a linebacker at Purdue from 1983 to 1986.

Other candidates considered by Houston included Notre Dame offensive coordinator Mike Haywood and former Houston coach Jack Pardee.

Joe Schad reports on college football for ESPN
Old 12-13-2007   #2
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Sumlin Hired at UH

Hrrrm. Means little to me. I hope he coaches U of H up!!
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #3
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sumlin Hired at UH

It came down to Pardee and Sumlin. I think its a good hire for UH.

Go Coogs!

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no dog in this being a TCU guy but I like the hire alot. I think Pardee might have bene reaching and was kind of a novelty. You'd like to see someone young come in and build something.
Old 12-13-2007   #5
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

As a UH alum who was told that he couldn't try out for the team when he was a student I do a little happy dance whenever they lose one. I still support the baseball, basketball, track and swim teams but the football team...not so much.
A couple of years ago when they went to a Bowl game in Hawaii (on my birthday) and lost it I was walking around with a smile on singing "happy birthday to me."
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #6
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

This was the guy i was hoping they got. He won't be here long if he wins, but as long as he wins.....

Last edited by Mr teX; 12-13-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Thank goodness Mike Haywood wasn't hired. I can't believe he was even considered. ND's offense was like 120th in the rankings.
Old 12-13-2007   #8
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Thank goodness Mike Haywood wasn't hired. I can't believe he was even considered. ND's offense was like 120th in the rankings.
When you are playing ND's schedule and starting freshman and Soph all over the place you are going to have that kind of record.

Now back to the hire, it is a very good hire OU offensive is very up to date and they use the runningbacks well so it should help recruiting there.
Old 12-13-2007   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
When you are playing ND's schedule and starting freshman and Soph all over the place you are going to have that kind of record.

Now back to the hire, it is a very good hire OU offensive is very up to date and they use the runningbacks well so it should help recruiting there.
Huh?!?! ND's schedule?!?!? 3 or 4 of their 11 games were against the Academies and Stanford. Get that mess out of here.

I'm okay with Sumlin - even if he's at UH for only 3 years..
Old 12-13-2007   #10
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting sidebar.....

On my way home yesterday, I heard Matt Jackson talking like Pardee was the favorite until Bill Yeoman got involved and started playing politics.

He talked like Yeoman doesn't like Pardee vey much. It had something to do with him thinking that Pardee gets too much credit for players that Yeoman recruited making NFL rosters.

This changes my perception of Yeoman now, but doesn't matter much to me anyway. I'll probably just keep on not watching UH football. Seems like the only time that I ever followed them was when Pardee was the coach.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post

That's a homer excuse right there.

Notre Dame had THE WORST OFFENSE IN DIV-1A. Dead last.

119th in Total Offense
110th in Passing Offense
116th in Rushing Offense
116th in Points Scored

They were poorly coached & their supposed talent did not show up.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #12
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 24148 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head-001 View Post
As a UH alum who was told that he couldn't try out for the team when he was a student I do a little happy dance whenever they lose one. I still support the baseball, basketball, track and swim teams but the football team...not so much.
A couple of years ago when they went to a Bowl game in Hawaii (on my birthday) and lost it I was walking around with a smile on singing "happy birthday to me."
Not one for holding a grudge huh?

Txn_in_Oki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Any truth to the rumor that Sumlin will begin his search for a move up team next week?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read