Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2007   #1
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Roof open!!!!!!!!

Our only night game of the year--please Texans, open the roof! If it starts to sprinkle, close the roof. A night game needs open air. PLEASE
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #2
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Open The Roof At Night Please!!!!!

They all need to be open air.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #3
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

here, here Chris. What does the Houston forecast look like?

Sorry mods, I know this is in the wrong area. Please move and/or merge with any other thread. My mistake.

Last edited by valleytexfan; 12-13-2007 at 12:48 AM.
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleytexfan View Post
here, here Chris. What does the Houston forecast look like?
Sorry mods, I know this is in the wrong area. Please move and/or merge with any other thread. My mistake.
54 Degrees & Cloudy at gametime.

http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-...y=2&hbhhour=14
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #5
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

It's called the 50/80 rule.

The roof is to be open if the temp is between 50 and 80 degrees . . . and . . . if there's no chance of rain in the forecast.

Hey . . all you candyasses got nobody to blame but yourselves for all that crying about them leaving the roof open when it was hot.

The 'below 50 limit' is the one that has me has me laughing. We should all move to Green Bay. I don't think they have a 'below 50 limit' up there.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #6
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

The roof makes sense for concerts and stuff, but for pro sports? come on... Houstonians can be so whiny sometimes
Old 12-13-2007   #7
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

This is what it says on the Texans website:

Quote:
The preliminary roof report is open for Thursday night's Battle Red Day game against the Denver Broncos at Reliant Stadium. The high temperature is predicted to be 62 degrees with a 40 percent chance of precipitation. Check back Thursday afternoon for the official roof report.
Link
Old 12-13-2007   #8
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like the rain % drops to 20% by tonight.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

As a native midwesterner, I can understand those wanting the roof open
and the game being played in the elements. I to miss that when I go to Reliant Stadium. But this is Houston, TX and unexpected downpoors do
happen. Therfor, I doubt that the roof is open if there is any chance of rain,
no matter the temp. If the roof was open, its national TV, and a gulley-washer occured the Texans organization would never hear the end of it.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

The roof is to be open if the temp is between 50 and 80 degrees . . . and . . . if there's no chance of rain in the forecast.

Hey . . all you candyasses got nobody to blame but yourselves for all that crying about them leaving the roof open when it was hot.

The 'below 50 limit' is the one that has me has me laughing. We should all move to Green Bay. I don't think they have a 'below 50 limit' up there.
The "no chance of rain thing" is not accurate. The big concern that they have is storms that have high winds. High wind gusts can mess up the roof when it is open.

Also, they are not supposed to close the roof once it is open. The NFL doesn't want gamesmanship with the roof.
Old 12-13-2007   #11
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
The "no chance of rain thing" is not accurate. The big concern that they have is storms that have high winds. High wind gusts can mess up the roof when it is open.

Also, they are not supposed to close the roof once it is open. The NFL doesn't want gamesmanship with the roof.
I thought they could close it if some unexpected rain or snow started to fall, but once it is closed it had to stay closed.
Old 12-13-2007   #12
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
I thought they could close it if some unexpected rain or snow started to fall, but once it is closed it had to stay closed.
NFL rules don't allow roof closing or opening once a game starts. For reasons known only to the NFL folks, they say that you could affect the game's outcome
by the roof being open/closed and then reversed. I do believe you can ask for permission ahead of time to change the roof status mid game - but I'm not sure about that one. I also know that August and Sept games in Houston don't warrant an outdoor experience. But tonight - let the roof be open.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #13
ATX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2 View Post
NFL rules don't allow roof closing or opening once a game starts. For reasons known only to the NFL folks, they say that you could affect the game's outcome
by the roof being open/closed and then reversed. I do believe you can ask for permission ahead of time to change the roof status mid game - but I'm not sure about that one. I also know that August and Sept games in Houston don't warrant an outdoor experience. But tonight - let the roof be open.
I understand where they are coming from......like opening up the roof at the end of the game while the opposing team is driving down the field for a field goal or something, but seems stupid to me not to be able to close it during halftime if unexpected weather comes along. I really do hope it's open tonight, it's perfect football weather.
Old 12-13-2007   #14
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I may be wrong but I think the idiotic rule state the roof is closed below 50 and above 80 and if it is raining...or something like that. Overall, what a waste. Football was made to be played outdoors and the roof is always closed. At least they stopped making their own fog with the fireworks.
Old 12-13-2007   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, it'd be smart for them to close it. Even if it was only 65 degrees there will be alot of people wearing jackets. The odds are all the jackets would not be Battle Red.

So, in order to have a true Battle Red game, close the roof and leave the jackets in the car.

Old 12-13-2007   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

The people that complained about it being hot said nothing about the "50" part of that rule. The "80" part of the rule is reasonable and necessary. The other is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
IMO, it'd be smart for them to close it. Even if it was only 65 degrees there will be alot of people wearing jackets. The odds are all the jackets would not be Battle Red.

So, in order to have a true Battle Red game, close the roof and leave the jackets in the car.

That is why I wear thermals, then a turtleneck, sometimes a hoodie, and then the jersey on the outside. Have to represent!

BTW, the gameday e-mail says roof will be open, subject to change, of course.
Old 12-13-2007   #17
gwallaia

Rep Power: 68496 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

You could always go to the Go Texans store at Reliant and purchase a reasonably priced battle red jacket to wear.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
The people that complained about it being hot said nothing about the "50" part of that rule. The "80" part of the rule is reasonable and necessary. The other is not.

That is why I wear thermals, then a turtleneck, sometimes a hoodie, and then the jersey on the outside. Have to represent!

BTW, the gameday e-mail says roof will be open, subject to change, of course.
That's the way to do it, but do you think the rest of the fans will? I say keep it closed and not ruin the outcome of Battle Red day.

I've seen people wearing jackets at 70 degrees in Texas, so I know it'll happen.
Old 12-13-2007   #19
ATX
Hall of Fame

They'll be giving away free shirts at the game, throw one of those over your jacket.
Old 12-13-2007   #20
Historyhorn
Veteran

Rep Power: 39 Historyhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respected

As a survivor (sunny side) of the infamous Pittsburgh broiler game, I'm all in favor of the roof policy on the 80 degree side of things. As for the 50 degree side....keep the darn thing open. Unless you're talking about sub zero temps, there's no real danger to folks.

The heat for a Sept. home opener is another story however.

Go Texans
Historyhorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read