Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-12-2007   #21
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Player Cited For Pit Bulls

I get what you mean Old Miss. But I've seen some mean Cocker Spaniels in my time. I never could figure out how parents could couple two of the most nervous breed of dogs, cocker spaniels and Dalmations with small childern, toddlers. There's stupid and then there is stupid. The dogs are nervous and hyper. The kids pull at the dog. They will be bit. I guess they want to toughen them up a bit ?
Old 12-12-2007   #22
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
who here owns 4 pit bulls? If for some unknown reason I did own 4 pit bulls, I think I would take extreme measures to make sure they didn't get out.

I have a mut. She gets out sometimes. However, he is unwilling and unable to hurt anyone. So, I don't think your point is a good one.
I don't own 4 I own 1. He is harmless but he looks very intimidating because he is so stout. The media hypes anything Pitbull and it is a bunch of bull crap. I want to know what that dog was actually doing to be considered aggressive behavior. If the dog was just jumping around or something then that is probably playing. I could understand barking or growling, but I would bet if the dog were doing that then the cop would have said so, which he didnt.

My dog has gotten loose one time because he bolted when I opened the front door and guess what nothing happened. If you were not ignorant of the breed or if you actually owned a pit bull you would know that you didnt have to take extra special measures to keep it away from people. WHen I was walking my dog just a few days ago there was a loose pitbull outside and he was very friendly. I never felt threatened and he actually wanted to play with my dog. I petted him and everything.

Any dog can be dangerous, the media just seems to go after the pitbull breed and it is unjustified. Pitbull attacks are less than 10% of the total reported dog attacks every year and that is even with throwing in 3 breeds( American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Terrier, American Pitbull Terrier) into that category and not to mention mutts that resemble pitbulls.

Now should Jerome Mathis be careful to make sure that his dogs dont get loose? Yes he should but not any more than any other dog owner.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #23
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Every 20 seconds, someone gets bitten by a dog. Hell just yesterday I got bitten by my neighbors mini-doberman who I play with all the time. It wasn't viscious, it didn't chomp down on my wrist, it just put its teeth around it while it was swing its head around.
Domesticated dogs are not naturally mean and agressive, they can be conditioned to be. Pit bulls get a very bad wrap because they are one of the few dogs powerful enough to do serious damage in the event of a bite, because of that fact, a few owners condition them to be aggressive for A.) protecting their home and property, B.) They're just abusive to their dogs, C.) Money from dogfighting. You also have to take into account strays that fear people and have to look after themselves.

You are more likely to be bit by a Poodle then a Pit Bull. As stated earlier, hyper and nervous dogs are more likely to bite you without warning.

Heres some dog tips. How to earn a dogs trust
The first time you meet a dog wait for it to come to you before you try to pet/play with it. This will happen more frequently with younger dogs because they are curious and want to play.
Older dogs won't approach you as often or quickly unless A.) they're really used to strangers B.)Their owner is really nice and they don't fear people. C.) You have food D.) They have a really bad itch that they JUUUST can't reach.
If an older dog approaches you but stays a few feet away while staring at you. DO NOT approach it. You can stick your hand out a little bit to indicate you want to pet it, but do don't rush that dog. That dog is sizing you up, determining whether or not to be afraid of you, and approaching it prematurely can result in 1.) It runs away from you 2.) It cowers but lets you approach 3.) It will Growl/Bark/Snap its jaws.

2 and 3 have a high risk of you getting bit, so don't take the chance if you want to interact with the dog. Just leave it alone.
Old 12-12-2007   #24
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
I don't own 4 I own 1. He is harmless but he looks very intimidating because he is so stout. The media hypes anything Pitbull and it is a bunch of bull crap. I want to know what that dog was actually doing to be considered aggressive behavior. If the dog was just jumping around or something then that is probably playing. I could understand barking or growling, but I would bet if the dog were doing that then the cop would have said so, which he didnt.

My dog has gotten loose one time because he bolted when I opened the front door and guess what nothing happened. If you were not ignorant of the breed or if you actually owned a pit bull you would know that you didnt have to take extra special measures to keep it away from people. WHen I was walking my dog just a few days ago there was a loose pitbull outside and he was very friendly. I never felt threatened and he actually wanted to play with my dog. I petted him and everything.

Any dog can be dangerous, the media just seems to go after the pitbull breed and it is unjustified. Pitbull attacks are less than 10% of the total reported dog attacks every year and that is even with throwing in 3 breeds( American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Terrier, American Pitbull Terrier) into that category and not to mention mutts that resemble pitbulls.

Now should Jerome Mathis be careful to make sure that his dogs dont get loose? Yes he should but not any more than any other dog owner.
Pit bulls are dangerous animals. My dog, regardless of how she's trained, does not have the physical ability to do the damage that a pit bull can do. That's reality. If you own a dog that can inflict serious harm, you have a greater responsibility in how you handle it and protect others from it.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #25
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Great advice brandon!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #26
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
who here owns 4 pit bulls? If for some unknown reason I did own 4 pit bulls, I think I would take extreme measures to make sure they didn't get out.

I have a mut. She gets out sometimes. However, she is unwilling and unable to hurt anyone. So, I don't think your point is a good one.
Just, because it's a "pit bull", doesn't automatically mean it's going to "hurt someone". I have a pit and it's my nicest dog.........I let it play with my 3 year old nephew, these dogs get bad raps, because of their reputations..........guess what breed of dog stared on little rascals and was around dozens of kids everyday...

For god sakes, as a kid, I had my ear bitten off by a damn miniature schnauzer.....if that can happen by that breed of dog, every damn dog is dangerous.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #27
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
To say that Mathis plays is a little inaccurate IMO.
you win the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
I think Pit bulls are some of the ugliest dogs in the world. Never wanted one and never will.
i agree.
Old 12-12-2007   #28
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Thats the thing, people get bit because they do not know how to treat or act around dogs. This is mostly true for children from lack of experiance. Unobservant parents plus child who doesn't know any better plus dog = bite. If you don't want your child bitten by the Pitbull, tell the child to be very nice and wait for the pitbull to come play with you, or ask the owner politely to put the dog outside. Don't want your child to get bitten by the mini-pincher see above. It doesn't matter what type of dog, if your stupid around it bad things happen. True for life too, if your stupid or uninformed in life, bad things will happen to you.
Old 12-12-2007   #29
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

This is yet another reason why cats are better then dogs. When was the last time you saw the following headlines:

NFL player's cats escape.

Cats and hip-hop culture, a growing concern?

Michael Vick sentences to 23 months of jail time for cat fighting.

etc.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #30
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
Every 20 seconds, someone gets bitten by a dog. Hell just yesterday I got bitten by my neighbors mini-doberman who I play with all the time. It wasn't viscious, it didn't chomp down on my wrist, it just put its teeth around it while it was swing its head around.
Domesticated dogs are not naturally mean and agressive, they can be conditioned to be. Pit bulls get a very bad wrap because they are one of the few dogs powerful enough to do serious damage in the event of a bite, because of that fact, a few owners condition them to be aggressive for A.) protecting their home and property, B.) They're just abusive to their dogs, C.) Money from dogfighting. You also have to take into account strays that fear people and have to look after themselves.

You are more likely to be bit by a Poodle then a Pit Bull. As stated earlier, hyper and nervous dogs are more likely to bite you without warning.

Heres some dog tips. How to earn a dogs trust
The first time you meet a dog wait for it to come to you before you try to pet/play with it. This will happen more frequently with younger dogs because they are curious and want to play.
Older dogs won't approach you as often or quickly unless A.) they're really used to strangers B.)Their owner is really nice and they don't fear people. C.) You have food D.) They have a really bad itch that they JUUUST can't reach.
If an older dog approaches you but stays a few feet away while staring at you. DO NOT approach it. You can stick your hand out a little bit to indicate you want to pet it, but do don't rush that dog. That dog is sizing you up, determining whether or not to be afraid of you, and approaching it prematurely can result in 1.) It runs away from you 2.) It cowers but lets you approach 3.) It will Growl/Bark/Snap its jaws.

2 and 3 have a high risk of you getting bit, so don't take the chance if you want to interact with the dog. Just leave it alone.
another thing to do...........always.. ALWAYS stick out your hand and let the dog sniff the back of your hand before you even attempt to pet it. In dog language, it's like saying hi and you mean no harm.........if you just reach out and attempt to pet a strange dog before doing this first he's going to think your just reaching out to grab him or something.......let him sniff your hand first and everything will be okay.
Old 12-12-2007   #31
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not saying no one should own a pit bull. I can't jugde what is in an owners heart. What I will say is Jerome is no ordinary citizen. He is an NFL player. He is an NFL player on a team whos owner has made a point of neighborhood presence. He is being paid by an orginazaton who's members stock just took big ol PR hit over pit bulls. Now no one is saying Jerome can't have a pit bull. But what I'm saying is he has exercised an extermely poor choice on the breed of dog he chose to own. I just can't get over the descprencies of the total number of mualings by pitt bulls as compaired to the total number of mualings by other breeds. This dog was bred for one purpose. To attack . That's it. You may chose to own the breed. But you must also be willing to except the responsiblity and all that entails by owning the breed. There is a history here. If the dog had muled someone while it was out, there is no way the Texans could spin that. No way. The breed as y'all say may be singled out unfaily. From my tree, to put yourslef in position of no decernable defense is not wise. Your pitt bull muals someone...you will lose your house. And if you except this...I have no problem with you running the risk. Your life.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-12-2007 at 12:35 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #32
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
This is yet another reason why cats are better then dogs. When was the last time you saw the following headlines:

NFL player's cats escape.

Cats and hip-hop culture, a growing concern?

Michael Vick sentences to 23 months of jail time for cat fighting.

etc.
I can't stand cats, they are stuck up snobs that would rather lick their azz then pay any attention to you..........hate cats.
Old 12-12-2007   #33
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I just can't get over the descprencies of the total number of mulings by pitt bulls as compaired to the total number of mualings by other breeds. This dog was bred for one purpose. To attack .
If you are referring to attacks on people, you're a little off base. Pits are known to be aggressive towards other animals - but not people...

Quote:
If there was a manual describing ideal Pit Bull temperament, it would probably read something like this: "The Pit Bull is goofily friendly towards people--family, friends, and strangers alike. Known for its sound character, strong nerve, and great intelligence, the breed makes an ideal companion for households with children, while remaining strong and vigilent enough to protect its loved ones if need be. It is never necessary to embark on guard or attack training with this breed, as they are naturally attuned to their environment and intuitive about real threats. Although never aggressive towards people without real need, the Pit Bull is dog-aggressive, to varying degrees. The properly socialized and trained Pit Bull should not be an instigater, yet neither should he shy away from a challenge. The breed is known for its high prey drive, and so due caution should be exercised when cats, rabbits, domestic fowl, and other such animals are present. Aggression towards other animals should not be viewed as a fault, although excessive, uncontrollable aggression is neither desired nor correct. Aggression towards humans should be viewed as a serious fault.
I highlighted that last line because - that would be true of any dog.

Link: The Real Pit Bull

And to those that suggested that Pits are ugly - I tend to agree also.
Old 12-12-2007   #34
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Overreact much?

The guy's dogs got loose.....whoopty freaking do. Who here is a dog owner that never had a dog get loose. I have two of them and they've gotten out on more than one occasion......it happens.
Nope and I did not overreact. With almost certainly I can say good bye to him. He does not play, he is always hurt. Dogs are a very touchy subject right now and if you do not understand that then I can not help you.

All I said was good bye sucker?

That was it I did not trash him for having dogs or them getting out in fact I did not trash him for being worthless roster space and cap space.

Now can I ask you the same question do you overreact much?
Old 12-12-2007   #35
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Weird......the article says Pits are smart. Maybe it's just the ones I've been around, but they are some of the stupidest dogs IMO. I'd take a German Sheppard any day over a Pitbull.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #36
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Texans Player Cited For Pit Bulls

Quote:
When a sheriff's deputy arrived, he said he found one of the pit bulls running towards a woman "in an aggressive manner." The deputy fired at the dog because he thought it was going to attack the woman. The dog was not hit.
I'm not sure which is worse, the fact he fired at the dog or that he missed.

I mean, if they were attacking people sure, but it sounded like a bunch of mass hysteria.

And this coming from someone who thinks pit bulls are NOT good for pets.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #37
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Nope and I did not overreact. With almost certainly I can say good bye to him. He does not play, he is always hurt. Dogs are a very touchy subject right now and if you do not understand that then I can not help you.

All I said was good bye sucker?

That was it I did not trash him for having dogs or them getting out in fact I did not trash him for being worthless roster space and cap space.

Now can I ask you the same question do you overreact much?
funny, you try to bash me after you just throw out a "goodbye sucker".........maybe next time you should be more specific to why you want the guy gone.
Old 12-12-2007   #38
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Truthfully, Rotts used to have the same bad / wrong perception about them as Pits get.
Old 12-12-2007   #39
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
Weird......the article says Pits are smart. Maybe it's just the ones I've been around, but they are some of the stupidest dogs IMO. I'd take a German Sheppard any day over a Pitbull.
Those "stupid dogs" just happen to produce the best and most decorated dog that ever served our country...

http://animalfarmfoundation.org/item.php?item=68
Old 12-12-2007   #40
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Those "stupid dogs" just happen to produce the best and most decorated dog that every served our country...

http://animalfarmfoundation.org/item.php?item=68
Good find!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read