Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-12-2007   #21
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Texans on MNF?

It's a numbers game, and the Texans game would need one or more of the following:

1. Big audience (e.g., Cowboys)
2. Big season (e.g., play-off team)
3. Big name (e.g., Ray Lewis)
4. Big game (e.g., Cowboys/Skins)

There is some parity, which helps the Texans, but nothing would help the Texans like a winning season and some popularity. However, having sold out for x amount of years makes me think they have the audience. The Tennessee rivalries could probably qualify for big games. But the Texans have neither the big season nor the big name. So like others are saying, I could see the late-in-the-year Tennessee vs. Houston game. I could also see a game against an East Coast team, just to drum up demographics for MNF. Either way, the game will not be etched in stone for another year.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #22
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it is possible. But it will be agains the Titans or the Colts if it happens, IMO.
Old 12-12-2007   #23
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

From the last Titan showing I bet we do not get a look for a couple of more years. That was just pitiful.
Old 12-12-2007   #24
TEXANSTAILGATER
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 TEXANSTAILGATER is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTEXANSTAILGATER is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

MNF will never be a flex game. They can flex times, but not days when it comes to the stadium use.
Old 12-12-2007   #25
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Looking at this seasons schedule as the metric for MNF inclusion, the Texans might be over qualified. 17 teams currently sub .500 have played or will play on MNF this season.
I was just taking a look at that too. You're spot on!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
You ain't kidding. If anybody needs a flex schedule it's MNF.
SNF has done a little better picking their schedule. I think they've only flexed one game so far and that was bumping Chicago/Seattle for the Pats/Bills. IMO, they could have let that one be as well as the Bears/Hawks was a much better game than the Pats blowout of the Bills.
What Speedy?? You didn't find the NO v. ATL. game appealing?!!?

Old 12-12-2007   #26
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i think itd be criminal if we dont get one next yr
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #27
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

How can we get one when yall vacate the stadium by halftime
Old 12-12-2007   #28
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I was just taking a look at that too. You're spot on!!!

What Speedy?? You didn't find the NO v. ATL. game appealing?!!?

or how about the Ravens being on primetime on a seemingly weekly basis. If I have to see Ray's 'i'm bad' grimace again, I think I may have to puke.

they can't go flex for obvious logistical reasons, but they could mandate that the teams would both have to be at .500 or over .500 the previous year to be considered. they could also try and make sure the lesser teams play their games at home where you give their fans a chance to shine while also increasing the chance of a competitive game. The Texans had no business playing in Seattle on National Television in one of our previous Nationally televised games. Granted, we played like dogcrap but Seattle was Super Bowl caliber and we, well we had Carr. Nuff said.

I think just trying to put competitive games on MNF is enough, to be honest. Try limiting the amount of times the Jets and Giants are on national television to only 12 times a year. And a big pet peeve is that I would rather not see a dominant team play at home and wipe the floor of an inferior team in front of the national viewing audience. The Ravens v Pats game was a nice surprise but something tells me it would have been different if it had been at Foxboro.
Old 12-12-2007   #29
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Many teams are just better TV draws, no matter what their record ?
Like it or not teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, Packers, etc. will pull in bigger ratings than less popular teams who may have better W-L records.
And I'm afraid the Texans rank right at the bottom in terms of team & player
recognition & national appeal.
Even if we were to win out (not that I think that will happen) and finish with a
winning record, we might still be a long-shot to to get on monday night.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #30
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with that. It's all about how many people...they believe will tune in and watch another ford comercial. They have a built in audience with the NE teams. New York City teams and Philly will be on more than Houston ever will. The Eastern Sports Network pays a lot for thier package. They want all the goodie they can get out of it. Buffallo is in the same boat as we are in. They are in New York State...but they may as well be on the other side of the moon as far as Bristol Connecticut is concerned. The only way the folks in Bristol give us a game is if we become danged good. And danged good over a period of time...say a couple of seasons.

The only reason we are on tomorrow is not because the teams are good. It's because the game has some interesting personal angles. Dad vs Son. Kubes vs former boss. Young phenom QB vs young Phenom MLB...oh wait. Gonna be a hoot if we get a game from the two young 'uns.
Old 12-12-2007   #31
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
From the last Titan showing I bet we do not get a look for a couple of more years. That was just pitiful.
Yeah, but the first one was the game of the day. They talked about it everywhere.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #32
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
At least their are fans, did you see the monday night game? Looked like about 5k people.
Old 12-12-2007   #33
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 26 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Texan View Post
I would be happier with a Sunday night game. I think those are considered to be the marquee matchups now, more so than Monday night game.
It takes steps to get a Sunday night game. Let's get a Monday night game first, then see what happens. I think if the team goes 8-8 this season, we will be on Monday night.
Old 12-12-2007   #34
bpe3
Veteran

Rep Power: 352 bpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respectedbpe3 is a quality contributor and well respected

If you make the playoffs, you are guarateed a Monday Night game. I doubt we'll get one until then. Even when we do, it will be a road game. As long as most of the people in the 300-level would rather sit on a sofa sipping cocktails and chatting with their friends instead of sitting in their reserved seat with a bird's eye view of action on the field, we'll never have a Monday Night game at home.

bpe3
bpe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #35
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Looking at this seasons schedule as the metric for MNF inclusion, the Texans might be over qualified. 17 teams currently sub .500 have played or will play on MNF this season.
right on lucky!
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #36
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe we should lock the doors to reliant at the end of the 1st quarter. If you are caught leaving reliant before the game is over..lifetime banishment from Reliant Stadium.
Old 12-12-2007   #37
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
I hope so. I really thought the Saints game might have been a good game to air nationally but I guess not.

We deserve more than just one Thursday night game I feel. But at the same time there are plenty of other teams that I think do too.

The Vikings are sure to get one next year and so are the Browns. The Lions also and the Bucs.

Team that have a MNF game this year and SHOULD NOT get one next IMO are the Dolphins, Bengals, Eagles, and Falcons.

Here are the teams we play next year besides our rivals
Baltimore
Cincinnati
Chicago
Detroit
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Green Bay
Minnesota

Looking at those...I think a game against the Jags or the Titans would be more exciting. We win two more games I think most definitely we get a MNF game.
i think the eagles wil get a monday night game even if they went 2-14 and I was the QB.
Old 12-12-2007   #38
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I could care less about MNF. Games on work days suck. I'd rather have an ENTIRE day to enjoy my home games, rather than work half a day and then deal with Houston's fantastic traffic jams.
Old 12-12-2007   #39
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we beat the Broncos... yes. If not, no.
Old 12-12-2007   #40
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I could care less about MNF.
I don't know. I look at those clips of the MNF game against the Fins from the Luv Ya Blue era, and I'd like to be a part of that. There's something different about playing on Monday Night, even though it doesn't come through on the telecasts anymore.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read