Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-11-2007   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Falcons owner Arthur Blank in trouble for Fuzzy Zoeller like racial comment

When Tony Kornheiser posed the question of Vick returning to the Falcons, Blank referred to many things which could factor into this decision. One of those being the amount of fried chicken Vick eats in jail:
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/TheSportingBlog/123557
I'm listening to Jim Rome this morning and he's busy fielding calls about
Blank's x-QB Vick.
Of course Jim Rome, being Jewish-American as Blank is, is very defensive about this unfortunate remark that his buddy Blank made about fried chicken/Vick in the MNF interview last night.
Look for a formal apology from Blank and/or ESPN as Blank is already in big trouble with the huge ATL African-American population/Falcon fan-base.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Falcons owner Arthur Blank in trouble for Fuzzy Zoeller like racial comment

Give me a break.

If he said something derogatory about British people or Caucasians then nobody would care.

The PC police are killing this country.

It was a bad joke from an old rich guy.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #3
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87506 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Falcons owner Arthur Blank in trouble for Fuzzy Zoeller like racial comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
When Tony Kornheiser posed the question of Vick returning to the Falcons, Blank referred to many things which could factor into this decision. One of those being the amount of fried chicken Vick eats in jail:
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/TheSportingBlog/123557
I'm listening to Jim Rome this morning and he's busy fielding calls about
Blank's x-QB Vick.
Of course Jim Rome, being Jewish-American as Blank is, is very defensive about this unfortunate remark that his buddy Blank made about fried chicken/Vick in the MNF interview last night.
Look for a formal apology from Blank and/or ESPN as Blank is already in big trouble with the huge ATL African-American population/Falcon fan-base.
I don't think he had any racist intent, but come on Blank, for a guy with as much money as you, you have to know that saying something like that is going to get u in hot water, even if you are talking about a felon.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #4
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87506 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Give me a break.

If he said something derogatory about British people or Caucasians then nobody would care.

Generally i would agree here but you're wrong... see Kanye West implying that dubya is a racist when he said "george bush doesn't care about black people.." during the Katrina debacle.

Mike Meyers was like
Old 12-11-2007   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Generally i would agree here but you're wrong... see Kanye West implying that dubya is a racist when he said "george bush doesn't care about black people.." during the Katrina debacle.

Mike Meyers was like
Yea but Mike Myers is Canadian & he probably doesnt have to listen to Kanye West's BS all the time.
Old 12-11-2007   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt that Blank's comment were racial (atleast conciously), but it is surprising that a man as smart as Arthur Blank would be so careless in his remarks on MNF about this very, very controversial subject involving Vick and the fans of the city of ATL.
Blank after all is the founder of Home Depost and is probably worth billions and has been regarded as a brilliant man in advertiser & PR.
In this day & age of PC, one would think Blank would be the last person to make such a mistake on a live, national TV sports-production.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #7
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 75779 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched it on youtube. It was a very innocent statement about eating unhealthy fattening foods (fried chicken and french fries) while in jail. Anyone making a big deal about it is just race baiting.
Old 12-11-2007   #8
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yea but Mike Myers is Canadian & he probably doesnt have to listen to Kanye West's BS all the time.
Yeah, but it still didn't quell the sheer embarassment he had by being on TV with a guy saying something that he apparently didn't agree with.

Bottom line there are some things you just don't say in front of a camera, even if it's as innocent as what blank said.
Old 12-11-2007   #9
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 85968 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

That is ridiculous. Whomever is making a big deal out of this are actually the ones being racists because they are implying that only black people eat fried chicken and fries. Next.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #10
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Falcons owner Arthur Blank in trouble for Fuzzy Zoeller like racial comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
I watched it on youtube. It was a very innocent statement about eating unhealthy fattening foods (fried chicken and french fries) while in jail. Anyone making a big deal about it is just race baiting.
That should be a new buzz word!
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard this last night too and thought to myself - there will be at least a handfull of morons that make a big deal out of it....

I'm shutting down for about 15 minutes - so that I can run to Popeyes. I missed my normal 'fried chicken day' yesterday - so I am making up for it today.
Old 12-11-2007   #12
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 28635 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
I was thinking the same thing, about unhealthy foods being eaten - that he'll get out of football shape fast. Shoot, he looked chunky already on the msn page yesterday in court.

Guess I need to check the batteries on my PC radar as that flew by me without much of a racist thought.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its not racist if he's correct, right?

Maybe Vick really loves fattening foods like fried chicken and fries. Its not unheard of. I love both of those things
Old 12-11-2007   #14
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120415 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Give me a break.

The British are streotyped as loving fried chicken? Are the Irish also stereotyped for their love of watermellon and the Welsh for their love of Chitlins? I'm confused?

For those who didn't complete 8th grade grammar class the preceding was SARCASM.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"

Last edited by Dread-Head; 12-14-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head-001 View Post
The British are streotyped as loving fried chicken? Are the Irish also stereotyped for their love of watermellon and the Welsh for their love of Chitlins? I'm confused?
When people make fun of my Irish friend for loving to drink just because he's Irish he doesnt go all up in arms about it.

It's not even that African Americans are offended by this stuff. It's that the media and everybody else jumps to their defense like they need help.

I eat fried chicken and french fries all the time, but I'm not offended by what Blank said.
Old 12-11-2007   #16
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
When people make fun of my Irish friend for loving to drink just because he's Irish he doesnt go all up in arms about it.

It's not even that African Americans are offended by this stuff. It's that the media and everybody else jumps to their defense like they need help.

I eat fried chicken and french fries all the time, but I'm not offended by what Blank said.
How do you know AA's aren't offended by it? b/c the ones u know aren't? I think that's a pretty myopic view of things.

Some areas lend themselves to more sensitive radars when it comes to things like this. If Blank says what he said in a room full of AA's in a city with that kind of history & that is thought of by many young AA professionals as "the black mecca" for business, i guarantee u at least half of them would be offended on some level. Now how they react to it is a different story.
Old 12-11-2007   #17
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

It is perfectly ok to make fun of whites, black comedians can do it all day long everyday, but if a white comedian made fun of any race then it would be racist.

I F'n hate pc police.

Arthur Blank should have said well as long as he does not kill any more dogs, gamble, get involved with relatives who sell drugs and be a complete freakin moron then we might consider taking him back.
Old 12-11-2007   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyways............... My 3 peice from Popeyes was awesome...

Oh, and I dont get bent out of shape for being associated with consuming a lot of alchohol, nor do I get upset about comments made with potatoes or cabbage....
Old 12-11-2007   #19
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
It is perfectly ok to make fun of whites, black comedians can do it all day long everyday, but if a white comedian made fun of any race then it would be racist.

I F'n hate pc police.

Arthur Blank should have said well as long as he does not kill any more dogs, gamble, get involved with relatives who sell drugs and be a complete freakin moron then we might consider taking him back.

he'd be lying if he said that. Everyone knows he's done there & probably in the league as well.

As for your other point for the most you're right but white comedians do make fun of blacks/hispanics, you just have to be careful about. I've seen Jeff Foxworthy & lesser known white comedians do it effectively. Hell, if you watched "Martin" over the last decade he had characters engaging in what is thought to be stereotypical "black" behavior (white mike & his radio show producer). But can you go up there ala Micheal Richards? hell no.
Old 12-11-2007   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head-001 View Post
The problem is people are assuming the worst of several possible options:

(1) Blank happens to know one of Vick's favorite foods is in fact fried chicken.

(2) Blank was reflecting a southern food observation rather than a black people observation.

(3) Blank was racially stereotyping.

Frankly the only way to choose between those possibilities is to make a racist determination that because Blank is white it must have been #3 "because that is what white people do."

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read