Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-11-2007   #1
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Rep Power: 935 ATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Next years draft.

I now its early but who do you guys think we should try to get in the draft 1st round, or what position? Is Darren Mcfadden going to declare for the draft and if so do you think we should trade up to try to get him?
ATRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Next years draft.

No, we already don't have a 2nd round pick and we have a lot of holes. We need all of the picks that we have (possibly more).
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #3
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Rep Power: 935 ATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
No, we already don't have a 2nd round pick and we have a lot of holes. We need all of the picks that we have (possibly more).

What do you think we will go after 1st position wise?
ATRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #4
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Depending on where we pick and who's available, OT, RB, FS
Old 12-11-2007   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Depending on where we pick and who's available, OT, RB, FS
Or possibly CB since Phillips is the only reasonable safety choice in the 1st round.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

No way do we trade up. McFadden will declare and be gone in the top 5. There are several RB's that would fit this team well.

Our offensive line is begging Kubiak & Smith to select a Left Tackle in the 1st round.

Left Tackle, Running Back, Free Safety and possibly Cornerback are the highest probabilities in my mind.

Kenny Phillips is the only FS in the class worth considering in the 1st.

There are a handful of good CB's (Malcolm Jenkins, Aqib Talib, etc) that should be available with our pick.

McFadden will be gone, but Jonathan Stewart would be a great pick. Also RB's like Ray Rice, possibly Felix Jones, etc.

As far as Left Tackle, it depends what juniors declare (as with all the other positions) but we may be sitting pretty to take one and would be wise to do so. Ryan Clady is slowly climbing up the charts where we may miss out on him, Michael Oher if he declares too would be a good pick. Sam Baker has been injured this year and will probably drop. Jake Long will probably be long gone by the time we pick too.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, we have a good number of threads alread addressing this same question/concern...
Old 12-11-2007   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
No way do we trade up. McFadden will declare and be gone in the top 5. There are several RB's that would fit this team well.

Our offensive line is begging Kubiak & Smith to select a Left Tackle in the 1st round.

Left Tackle, Running Back, Free Safety and possibly Cornerback are the highest probabilities in my mind.

Kenny Phillips is the only FS in the class worth considering in the 1st.

There are a handful of good CB's (Malcolm Jenkins, Aqib Talib, etc) that should be available with our pick.

McFadden will be gone, but Jonathan Stewart would be a great pick. Also RB's like Ray Rice, possibly Felix Jones, etc.

As far as Left Tackle, it depends what juniors declare (as with all the other positions) but we may be sitting pretty to take one and would be wise to do so. Ryan Clady is slowly climbing up the charts where we may miss out on him, Michael Oher if he declares too would be a good pick. Sam Baker has been injured this year and will probably drop. Jake Long will probably be long gone by the time we pick too.
Both the CB's you list are good picks. I'm just not a big fan of Stewart and don't see him being worth a high pick at the next level. I'm a big fan of Felix Jones, Rasheed Mendenhall, and Kevin Smith. Clady is the best OT in this draft. Oher is the best OG in this draft, about the 6th best OT or so. Baker fits naturally into our type of scheme, but I need more time to properly evaluate him (as I do with everyone else, but him even moreso). Jake Long is Todd Wade, and of course we would all take Wade with a top 5 pick. People who make mock drafts are so stupid; they just put down what they heard pre-season from a few talking heads.
Old 12-11-2007   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Both the CB's you list are good picks. I'm just not a big fan of Stewart and don't see him being worth a high pick at the next level. I'm a big fan of Felix Jones, Rasheed Mendenhall, and Kevin Smith. Clady is the best OT in this draft. Oher is the best OG in this draft, about the 6th best OT or so. Baker fits naturally into our type of scheme, but I need more time to properly evaluate him (as I do with everyone else, but him even moreso). Jake Long is Todd Wade, and of course we would all take Wade with a top 5 pick. People who make mock drafts are so stupid; they just put down what they heard pre-season from a few talking heads.
Well, I usually make mock drafts heading up to the draft & I make them based on my own scouting and observations. And they usually aren't far off from the way things actually play out. I dont consider myself stupid.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Well, I usually make mock drafts heading up to the draft & I make them based on my own scouting and observations. And they usually aren't far off from the way things actually play out. I dont consider myself stupid.
That is different than what I was getting at. Making a mock based on your own scouting/observations is legit. That is quite respectable, even if things aren't quite like they turn out. What I was meaning as stupid is when people obviously make a mock that mimics Kipper and other talking heads. Like stupid people who had Allen Branch going top 5 for most of the year, and I'm sitting there putting him second round in my mocks and what the hell do you know? You watch tape, you use your own opinion, you read a few things from outside sources, and then you put all that together.
Old 12-11-2007   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont see RB as big a need for us as OLB. We have no playmaker ability out of them, and they are barley servicable at that. You can get a speed guy at RB in later rounds, but OLB is a legit need.
Old 12-11-2007   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
That is different than what I was getting at. Making a mock based on your own scouting/observations is legit. That is quite respectable, even if things aren't quite like they turn out. What I was meaning as stupid is when people obviously make a mock that mimics Kipper and other talking heads. Like stupid people who had Allen Branch going top 5 for most of the year, and I'm sitting there putting him second round in my mocks and what the hell do you know? You watch tape, you use your own opinion, you read a few things from outside sources, and then you put all that together.
thank god (not stupid) I'm currently working on my newest version of the 2008 Mock draft

I'm waiting after the Texans/Broncos game to re-submit because it effects us directly but I can already tell you Clady is long gone as is Kenny Phillips & Malcohm Jenkins, however Baker, Talib & Stewart are still available
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #13
tulexan
Hall of Fame

It's too bad we don't have a 2nd round pick, because I would love to have Ali Highsmith on this team. He may be a little undersized, but he reminds me a lot of DeMeco in the way that he is always around the ball making plays and big hits.
Old 12-11-2007   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

3 top priorities:
(1) if at all possible, trade down with our first-rounder to get multiple picks.
(2) DO NOT use the top pick (if we can't trade the first rounder) on a running back. Too many good backs can be found in later rounds or even as undrafted
free agent rookies, e.g. Chris Taylor
(3) Top need positions with top pick: OLine & DBackfield, but don't lose sight of BPA principle
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #15
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Hard to say for me. If Sam Baker and Jake Long are gone in the first, then I'm all for taking the best RB available.

I think the Texans will be in the middle of the pack this year (13-17.) You don't have much say in the matter if you aren't drafting in the top 10.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #16
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Hard to say for me. If Sam Baker and Jake Long are gone in the first, then I'm all for taking the best RB available.

I think the Texans will be in the middle of the pack this year (13-17.) You don't have much say in the matter if you aren't drafting in the top 10.
That's my view too. At least we would finally be done with the position instead of trying to find the next diamond in the rough every year.
Old 12-11-2007   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, we'll take a DB in the first round.
Old 12-11-2007   #18
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather sign Michael turner than draft a RB. The guy is proven over the past few seasons and if not for being a backup for the greatest RB in the league, he'd be a starter. He doesn't have alot of wear and tear and he can hit the homerun.

Year Team Gms Att Yds Av Lg
2004 San Diego Chargers 14 20 104 5.2 30
2005 San Diego Chargers 16 57 335 5.9 83
2006 San Diego Chargers 13 80 502 6.3 73
2007 San Diego Chargers 13 48 235 4.9 74
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #19
tulexan
Hall of Fame

I hope Turner is our #1 free agent target.
Old 12-11-2007   #20
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope Turner is our #1 free agent target.
Me too. Considering how much we gave Green, Turner wouldn't cost much more than him. I say cut Green and go after Turner. I'm predicting, and have been predicting we sign him in the offseason.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read