Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-11-2007   #21
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Davis td return

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I don't see why not. IIRC, he comes pretty cheap. Unless he's injury riddled this off-season, I'd expect him to be here. Hopefully they've found the cause for his constant injuries.

Nothing better than a cheap TD machine.
Kubiak doesn't like players who:

1) Can't stay healthy. Not that it's necessarily his fault, but at some point you just have to let the guy go if he can't stay on the field.

2) Have attitude problems. For the past few seasons it has been noted that Jerome is hard to coach. Whether or not that will still be a problem is yet to be seen, since he has been hurt.

3) Only play one position (at least for special teams). Kubiak thinks that it is a waste of money and a roster spot to have a guy on KR who can't also play in another phase of the game. With AJ, Davis, Walter and JJ stepping up, Mathis is going to have to work hard to get some offensive snaps.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. My nickname on here is named after him (Lucky13). But the truth is, if he can't fix at least two of these three problems, he will not be a Texan for long.
Old 12-11-2007   #22
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
Mathis healthy is basically guaranteed to get 3 TDs a season.
dude. Mathis has 3 TDs for his CAREER. And he has been here 3 seasons already. Dont act like its a sure thing that he will get 3 TDs if we bring him back. Bye bye Mathis, hello Jacoby and Dre. Andre Davis is going to get Jerome's money this offseason because he can return kicks AND contribute in the passing game.
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #23
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr PC View Post
dude. Mathis has 3 TDs for his CAREER. And he has been here 3 seasons already. Dont act like its a sure thing that he will get 3 TDs if we bring him back. Bye bye Mathis, hello Jacoby and Dre. Andre Davis is going to get Jerome's money this offseason because he can return kicks AND contribute in the passing game.
dude. 2 of those 3 season he's been injured!

In 3 games (or however many it was this year...) he had 1 TD, and I think a pretty near TD return.

In 1 game last year, he returned it to the 2.

The more I think about it, the more I think we need better strength and conditioning coaches.
Old 12-11-2007   #24
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The more I think about it, the more I think we need better strength and conditioning coaches.
This may be true, but if Mathis can't fix something, he will be gone.
Old 12-11-2007   #25
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mathis should be back...

Mathis healthy is basically guaranteed to get 3 TDs a season.

Only 2 TDs for 2005 because he was a rook.

Hell, let them alternate kickoffs..
Only re-sign him on the cheap. Don't pay him receiver money when he's only going to be a special team-er and oft-injured at that.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #26
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
dude. 2 of those 3 season he's been injured! .
Which is why I think we probably ought to jettison him. Free up the roster spot for someone who's not just a injury-prone special teams ace. Yeah, he's explosive, but he's almost never on the field.

Quote:
Amen. Agreed 100%.
Old 12-11-2007   #27
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
dude. 2 of those 3 season he's been injured!

In 3 games (or however many it was this year...) he had 1 TD, and I think a pretty near TD return.

In 1 game last year, he returned it to the 2.

Mathis is not under contract next year. Neither is Andre Davis. Here we've got two players: one that can return kicks, stay healthy, and make big plays in the passing game. We've got another guy who cant stay healthy, cant play WR well, but can return kicks. Its an easy decision, Mathis is out. Jacoby and Davis can handle return duties just fine. Id be ok with signing Mathis to a one year deal for the minimum, but he isnt worth more than that at this point. There is certainly no guarantee Mathis would be more productive if we resign him, I think Jacoby will fill Mathis role and then some.
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2007   #28
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Andre Davis td return

Devil's advocate - isn't it general NFL thinking that you don't want a large passing game contributor to be your return man? Hence it's usually the young guys?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #29
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Devil's advocate - isn't it general NFL thinking that you don't want a large passing game contributor to be your return man? Hence it's usually the young guys?
I can see the logic there.

So said, I would still argue that whoever is dropping back to field kickoffs needs to be someone who can stay healthy.

healthy = not Mathis
Old 12-11-2007   #30
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
This is true, but lets face it.... a healthy Mathis could never be more than a #2 receiver. Would I want my #2 WR playing KR? Probably not. But that would be a good problem to have.
Old 12-11-2007   #31
SICLICK
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 SICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden cover

I had a feeling he was gonna run it back...then I was like nah hes not gonna run it back. Soon as I saw him go into overdrive by the line I knew he was gone.
SICLICK is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read