Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-10-2007   #21
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Were you at the 2006 draft party?

Honestly, I wanted MW all the way, but after the Weaver signing, I resigned myself to accepting the Reggie Bush pick. Neither VY nor RB seemed to be able to succeed in the NFL, and I'm a firm believer in builidng the defense.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #22
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Did you boo the pick?

Be honest now.
Yep, I was there and NO I didn't boo the pick (and was ashamed at those who did).

I'll be honest that I thought Reggie Bush would've been more logical (Given Kubiak's background), but we needed a pass-rusher, plain-and-simple.
Old 12-10-2007   #23
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
No, I did not boo the pick. I didn't want either RB or VY, but, I was a little disappointed we didn't target D'B Fergerson. BUT, I felt the power's that be SHOULD know what they were doing, and it looks like they did. When I saw the size of Mario when he stood on that stage, I thought, WOW that is one big SOLID dude!
LOL! I'm right there with you. I'm 6'5" 245lbs and when I was up next to him while he was signing, I was shocked. I just stood there looking him over (I'm straight, I promise) and remember thinking "man how can somebody of this stature not be a badass".

He's getting better every week and I'm very happy for him.
Old 12-10-2007   #24
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

I was there and honestly did not boo. Mario was my 2nd pick behind VY... I would've preferred that they surprise us that day though, instead of telling us the night before.

however, I did boo the Travis Johnson pick and still say he was a bad choice. That was the only time i've actually "booed" any pick at the stadium.

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #25
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did you boo the pick?

Be honest now.
No.

I made a T-shirt in support of the pick, but I let my friend wear it because it looked better on her.

Not everyone booed. There were some jacks who were there who booed, but there were people there buying jerseys.

My thoughts at the time as put on the Chronic FanBlog Texans

(The summary, once Carr's option was taken, VY wasn't a choice. Even if VY was the choice, had questions on whether he was a good fit for the Texans--if you are building a team, do you want to get a pick that makes it all about one guy, one guy who will be learning and maybe isn't the best fit for a complicated system offense? I was happy when Reggie Bush was not taken because I didn't like him as an NFL running back--especially for an offense that really emphasizes downhill running--even when they can't really do it. Happy that we took defense and specifically Mario).

I think more fans would have been happier about the Mario choice had the media, and specifically the Houston media been more fair about just objectively talking about his background. All the local media said was that he was a physical freak and that the Texans were stupid for not taking Young or Bush. If that is all I knew of Mario, I wouldn't have liked the pick either, but I researched him myself, even asking for feedback from people who actually saw him play. Imagine that.

The ultimate Mario Williams compendium

Mario Williams compendium, part II

I didn't want the local media to pump up the pick. I just wanted some reasoned, logical factual information. But at least the local media hated the pick, and then they all went on vacation.

Look at that 2005 defensive roster. It was awful. The Texans made a pick that took some stones, but it was the pick that they needed to do given the circumstances at the time of the draft.
Old 12-10-2007   #26
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I was laughing the night before the draft when I learned they were going to draft Mario. Not because I thought the pick was a joke, it was because I was thinking of all those nauseating pro Bush people that were everywhere. After seeing the Rose Bowl I KNEW Bush was going to be a bust at the NFL level. I couldn't stomach the fact of him coming here. Looking back I think I was pretty right on with most of my thoughts at the time (knowing Carr was a bust, thinking Bush would be a bust, feeling we needed a QB, etc.). Of course I was wanting VY however by the time the draft rolled around I had pretty much accepted it wasn't going to be him. If I was wrong about anything that draft year it could be him. He might bust out also, however we need more time to determine that.

So far out of the 3 you have to say Mario is the best guy. However both QBs and DEs take a good while to really develop so the jury is still out on Mario and VY. However most great backs produce and show signs from their rookie season on (Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, etc). Bush hasn't even show a flash of anything so I am pretty comfortable in thinking I was right about him.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #27
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Yep, I was there and NO I didn't boo the pick (and was ashamed at those who did).

I'll be honest that I thought Reggie Bush would've been more logical (Given Kubiak's background), but we needed a pass-rusher, plain-and-simple.
Denver style backs do not put a premium on pure speed. They need to run between the tackles and make quick decisions. They need to get positive yardage and not dance around in the backfield.

I think Kubiak could have found ways to use Bush, but he is the opposite of a prototypical Denver style back.

The Texans have been playing make-do at running back while putting together other parts of the team. They thought Ahman Green could be that placeholder, but obviously that didn't work out.
Old 12-10-2007   #28
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. He's more of a stud that the guy drafted before him.

2. Most elite college guys get free cars, hookers, and drugs

3. There is a trophy that he won, forgot the name.

4. See 1-3
----When comparing the Williams draft choice over Bush.---

Can you name the poster?!?
Old 12-10-2007   #29
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
So far out of the 3 you have to say Mario is the best guy. However both QBs and DEs take a good while to really develop so the jury is still out on Mario and VY. However most great backs produce and show signs from their rookie season on (Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, etc). Bush hasn't even show a flash of anything so I am pretty comfortable in thinking I was right about him.

Bush reportedly has played hurt for part of this season. Of course, he is a little thin in the legs for a running back, so maybe that wasn't unforseen.

Injuries can derail any career, but yeah, I wasn't a fan of Bush as the pick.
Old 12-10-2007   #30
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did you boo the pick?

Be honest now.
I was living in Chicago at the time and was at a buddies place with a bunch of people watching the draft. As the Houston pick was announced I stood up. As Mario's name was read, I cheered wildly. I am a big supporter of building a strong Defense and you can imagine how I was when I saw Demeco was not taken 32 in the first round and how loud I became when we picked him.

That said, I was in the trade down group. At the time I had serious reservations about Bush, wanted Young(but knew we would not extend Carr and take Young) and felt that D-Brick might be a good pick but didnt want to take him first.

I would have been fine dropping down to 6 or 7 and taking Micahel Huff as a FS, taking Demeco in the 2nd, plus getting an extra second and third. I would have taken Marcus McNeill(LT) in the 2nd with my extra second, then taken Leonard Pope(TE) with my first 3rd, Eric Winston with my second third, and the Jerious Norwood with my 3rd third.

But as it is, Mario, Meco, Winston, and Spencer is still a pretty good first day haul.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #31
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I was living in Chicago at the time and was at a buddies place with a bunch of people watching the draft. As the Houston pick was announced I stood up. As Mario's name was read, I cheered wildly. I am a big supporter of building a strong Defense and you can imagine how I was when I saw Demeco was not taken 32 in the first round and how loud I became when we picked him.

That said, I was in the trade down group. At the time I had serious reservations about Bush, wanted Young(but knew we would not extend Carr and take Young) and felt that D-Brick might be a good pick but didnt want to take him first.

I would have been fine dropping down to 6 or 7 and taking Micahel Huff as a FS, taking Demeco in the 2nd, plus getting an extra second and third. I would have taken Marcus McNeill(LT) in the 2nd with my extra second, then taken Leonard Pope(TE) with my first 3rd, Eric Winston with my second third, and the Jerious Norwood with my 3rd third.

But as it is, Mario, Meco, Winston, and Spencer is still a pretty good first day haul.
I was secretly hoping this a little bit too, but I definitely cant complain about what the Texans accomplished in that draft.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #32
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

No booing here, like disaacks3...was somewhat torqued at those who did, IIRC.

Wouldn't it be great to bring back that time period and re visit those lovely threads....
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #33
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl View Post
No booing here, like disaacks3...was somewhat torqued at those who did, IIRC.

Wouldn't it be great to bring back that time period and re visit those lovely threads....
For the most part, it seemed like the only people who were at the draft party were the ones booing.

Or maybe the media only wanted to show those certain individuals.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #34
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I was at home, not willing to drive in a thunderstorm all the way downtown to hear a pick I already knew.

Yeah, I was upset. I wanted Bush. But once Mario was made the pick, I accepted it and welcomed him as a Texan just like any player that gets drafted to our team.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #35
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I knew in advance they were picking Mario and liked the pick. I saw him as a ridiculously talented athlete whose skills would need polish before he was truly "ready" to play in the NFL, though I was okay with waiting as much 1-2 years for those results. Bush may also be an exceptionally talented athlete, but he does not have the vision nor IMO the work ethic to make that useful in the NFL.

I was there and did not boo, though fortunately I think their prior announcement meant a lot of the bozos that would've been there booing ended up staying home instead.
Old 12-10-2007   #36
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn’t at the draft party, but I remember Monday at work afterwards. There were folks at work that were literally pissed as hell about us not taking Bush. Some of these folks anger was worse than if someone had ran into their car. It was like personal anger for them. I went to work somewhat upset we didn’t take Vince Young, but after listening to all the Bush crybabies I started defending the Mario pick just to piss them off. That was a bad mistake on my part, and I’ve been listening to their crapolla ever since.

But lately they’ve been rather quiet for some reason. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #37
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Wasn't at the party, but I supported the pick. I honestly didn't know much about him besides his stats and combine numbers. But no to VY after the Carr extension, and I didn't think RB could be a between-the-tackles feature back. He had receivers' legs. Also had concerns about D'Brick being able to keep on the weight according to various reports. For hindsight, for those who wanted to take A.J. Hawk, if we had, I'm not sure DeMeco would have been there for us in the 2nd round if we had.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #38
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was in Vegas and I was shocked to see we went with Mario but I cheered just as I would have had we selected Reggie or Vince. I was wanting Vince cause I am somewhat of a homer but I have been on the Mario train from day 1. I cvalled John and Lance and told them Mario was the best pick of the 06 draft class. They ribbed me and ribbed me but who is laughing now.
Old 12-11-2007   #39
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Why would you boo? They announced it the night before. I got all my frustration out on that day.

I, just like most people, wanted Reggie.... and I was wrong. I will happily point that out. I have never been more willing to admit my mistake when it comes to the '06 draft.

We really got a diamond out of Mario.

*edit*

I also like to point out how happy I was that we didn't take Vince. Thank God.
I was with a friend and I was shocked that they had the Balls to do it even though it wasnt the flashy thing to do. They took their lumps and now look brilliant. What balls by the FO and Kubes.
Old 12-11-2007   #40
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

nobody boo'ed apparently... must've been piped in over stereos or something
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read