Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-10-2007   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Were you at the 2006 draft party?

Did you boo the pick?

Be honest now.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #2
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25222 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Were you at the 2006 draft party?

I was disappointed at first because I wanted Bush.

I was then disppointed that they didn't take Young.

But I said to myself, they know what they're doing. I will trust them.

I remember I was upset at the pick, but then got happy when they took Ryans in the 2nd.
Old 12-10-2007   #3
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would you boo? They announced it the night before. I got all my frustration out on that day.

I, just like most people, wanted Reggie.... and I was wrong. I will happily point that out. I have never been more willing to admit my mistake when it comes to the '06 draft.

We really got a diamond out of Mario.

*edit*

I also like to point out how happy I was that we didn't take Vince. Thank God.
Old 12-10-2007   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I was caught off-guard, but never dissed the pick. I know I didn't want VY or Bush. I wanted a trade back scenerio where we drafted AJ Hawk. We still went defense, so I was satisfied. Even though I hadn't heard much about Mario at the time. lol

I was very happy with the D-Ryans pick. I happen to watch Alabama play alot that year and he and their defense was special. He also almost singlehandedly beat Texas Tech in their bowl game.

The remainder of the 06 draft was great too. By far the best draft in the Texans short history.

Old 12-10-2007   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I cheered when I heard the news the night before. They didn't take the guy I wanted (Ferguson), but they took my #2 choice. My list, without regard to draft positional value, was Ferguson, Mario, Hawk, a QB (Cutler/VY), anyone else in the draft, undrafted free agents, then maybe Reggie Bush.
Old 12-10-2007   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Why would you boo? They announced it the night before. I got all my frustration out on that day.

I, just like most people, wanted Reggie.... and I was wrong. I will happily point that out. I have never been more willing to admit my mistake when it comes to the '06 draft.

That's about the same for me. My wife was really shocked that I didn't go balastic again when they announced the pick ( I went nuts when I heard the news on Friday night).

I barely remember hearing the rest of the picks, as I was deep in several arguemments here on the board.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't boo at the draft party, but I nearly had an accident while driving the night before whenever the radio announced that the Texans were taking Mario...

I thought it about it for a little bit - and then realized it was an okay pick.
Old 12-10-2007   #8
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

I just moved back to Houston the week before and dragged my wife down to Reliant just for the purpose of booing the pick. I couldn't believe the news the night before. I was pissed that we were not taking Vince but was starting to get excited about RB. I thought we had really screwed the pooch and that Casserley was giving us the finger before going out.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted VY up until Carr's contract was extended & then I decided on Mario or a trade back for Ferguson. I probably would have been satisfied with anyone besides Bush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I was very happy with the D-Ryans pick. I happen to watch Alabama play alot that year and he and their defense was special. He also almost singlehandedly beat Texas Tech in their bowl game.

I'm in the same boat. I watch Bama a lot & I couldnt believe that Ryans fell through the 1st round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
My list, without regard to draft positional value, was Ferguson, Mario, Hawk, a QB (Cutler/VY), anyone else in the draft, undrafted free agents, then maybe Reggie Bush.
Pretty much my list as well.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #10
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Were you at the 2006 draft party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post

We really got a diamond out of Mario.

*edit*

I also like to point out how happy I was that we didn't take Vince. Thank God.
Ditto, ditto, and ditto. But once I heard we picked Mario the night before, I though - "maybe ESPN just brainwashed me) and, well, the had.

The problem was we had a #1 pick. It's a curse. If you have a top 5 pick, unless your pick performs at pro bowl level his first and/or second year, wasnt he overpriced/overrated?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #11
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

i wasn't at the draft party, but i was very, very upset the day before the draft when i found out. i feel much, much better now.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #12
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I was dissapointed that we took Mario Williams. I wasn't for drafting Vince Young (even though I've been following him since his high school days) but I was hoping for Reggie Bush. But I soon moved on and after I saw him play last season I saw the potential. I remember saying last year that it wasn't Mario Williams' fault for us being a bad team but he's going to be one of the main reasons we'll be a good team when we do. And the last 3 or 4 weeks Mario has been superb and yesterday's game was probably his best in his short career. I'm hoping this upward trend for him and the defense continues. It was a blast watching this defense get after it.
Old 12-10-2007   #13
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes I was at the draft party and since I'm too lazy to reconstruct those thoughts, I thought I'd just copy/paste a link to what I wrote that afternoon: (no I didn't boo the pick)
------------------------

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=2464

Keep in mind that those articles are edited by the Texans so the paragraph where I talk about Justice's article is not intact wrt what I submitted to them. I recall being a lot more descriptive of the Justice article in that paragraph - and discussing his calling out McNair as an idiyot or something to that effect.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just dont understand how everybody in the country got sucked up into all the Reggie Bush hype.

Just from watching tape on the guy in college, I KNEW what kind of player he would be in the NFL.

Now if I can disect a player on my VCR, then how can ESPN watch this kid's tapes on all their hi-tech equipment with all of their "experts" watching and be so wrong?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #15
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Were you at the 2006 draft party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I just dont understand how everybody in the country got sucked up into all the Reggie Bush hype.
That's what I said over and over and over........

Then, at some point about one, two weeks before the draft, the hype had me sold. Then after we picked Mario, I realized, "Oh yeah, for the last few months I've been telling people I don't want him because he's not an every down NFL RB."

It can get the best of us, lol.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

what was the point going, it was all over the news Texans ink Mario Williams, anti-climatic & not a very popular pick @ the time.

Kubiak dug the hole deeper by retaining Carr, telling Bob McNair David had all the tools to become the franchise QB with the proper support. then they passed on an offensive playmaker (Reggie Bush) to compliment his game & a legit LT (D'Brickashaw Ferguson) to protect him.

under those cirmstances it was a "off pick" now with David gone they have successfully addressed the defensive line with back to back to back 1st rd, picks thats why the Amobi pick was such a good one, even struggling Okoye has helped free up Mario (limiting double teams) making Mario more of a playmaker in one on one situations.

from a value standpoint judged strictly on draftable ratings Mario was neck & neck with Reggie, not as big of drop off as some say. having said all that Mario has now more impact on this franchise than any other player & thats a positive considering the circumstances less than two years ago
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #17
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

I was not at the draft party, but I didn't boo the pick, though I was unsure about it. I really didn't know a lot about Mario at the time, and hadn't seen any film on the guy. After I thought about and started seeing high lights, I understood why they picked him. I could definitely see at the time that he could be the best pick in the long haul.

The guy continues to improve. He's definitely starting to make a difference.
Old 12-10-2007   #18
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I'm in the same boat. I watch Bama a lot & I couldnt believe that Ryans fell through the 1st round.
No doubt. SEC is far and away the best conference both in talent and in entertainment value. He would just make play after play at Bama. I remember preseason mock drafts before the 2005 college football season that had DeMeco as a Top 10 pick. it kinda took the 'sting' off the Mario decision and showed how far elite linebackers can fall in the draft.

A lot of fans on other team's boards are lamenting passing on Ryans in the 1st Round....I bet Dallas would rather have DeMeco Ryans than Bobby freaking Carpenter at #18 overall...I remember scratching my head over that pick by Big D. Good player but a big reach that early. Carpenter can't even get on the field for the Cowboys.
Old 12-10-2007   #19
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

No, I did not boo the pick. I didn't want either RB or VY, but, I was a little disappointed we didn't target D'B Fergerson. BUT, I felt the power's that be SHOULD know what they were doing, and it looks like they did. When I saw the size of Mario when he stood on that stage, I thought, WOW that is one big SOLID dude!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #20
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, I gotta say... after being in COUNTLESS debates and defending the pick with logical reasoning only to be laughed at over and over.... its starting to feel pretty good. Keep up the good work Mario.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read