Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-09-2007   #1
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Celebration Penalty

That "group celebration" penalty is the dumbest-ass rule in the NFL. Andre Davis returns a kickoff for a touchdown, jumps into the stands in celebration, and Dreesen jumps up there with him to congratulate him. Yellow flag, 15 yard penalty on the kickoff.

Rewind 2 weeks. Terrell Owens scores a TD, runs around to the side of the end zone, grabs a spectator's popcorn, tosses it into his own face, strikes a pose and smiles for the camera. No penalty.

It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Let's discourage celebrating an incredible play with the fans, because they don't matter. I was JUST mentioning after AJ's touchdown in the first quarter how he's the only one who jumps into the stands any more after a score. Then Davis and Dreesen do it AND GET PENALIZED. Now they'll probably never do it again. Nice job, NFL. Take away the fans' enjoyment.

No Fun League, indeed.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #2
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 36463 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Celebration Penalty

I have a big problem with the penalties, no matter who draws one. These players are the best in the sport, risk life threatening injuries every time they are on the field, and someone who if lucky might have played flag football decides on what a player cannot do once he scores. I realize that football is a business, but it is also a game, and a game should be fun. If a player's personality is such that he scores, hand the ball to the ref, then so be it, but at the same time if another wants to celebrate and get the crowd into it, then it's all good with me. After all, it's the players out there on the field that is creating the jobs for those coming up with the rules.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #3
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

That was a really dumb call. I was like "WTF!", because neither players did anything wrong.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Only Chad Johnson can get away with celebrations now.

And it seems as if Green Bay & Denver are the only teams allowed to jump into the stands. Dont ask me why.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

A lot of guys from the bench went down to the endzone to celebrate, that was the problem. Dreesen was just the first guy to do anything wrong.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #6
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not saying I agree with the penalty. I think the rule is dumb. But the rule is that you cannot have more than one person participate in a celebration. That's why the flag was thrown.

Initially the rule said no excessive celebrations and it was too subjective. So they decided to make the rule no "group" celebrations. Which obviously doesn't work. I personally think they should limit the time not the action. I miss the days of the electric slide etc.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #7
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I thought I heard the commentators say something about only one person can leap into the stands. Dreesen jumped up after Davis, thus drawing the penalty.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2007   #8
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 123638 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I blame the Redskins' Fun Bunch for the rule, and the NFL for making the potentially good rule a joke.
Showtime100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #9
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I blame the Texans for scoring touchdowns. We've got to work on that.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #10
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 115170 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

The rule is simple - One Person can jump into the stands. Any more - it's a pentaly. Learn the rules or keep your arse on the bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #11
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Celebration Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McNair View Post
I didn't mind the penalty. In fact, I would like to see the Texans start getting at least 5 or 6 excessive celebration penalties every game...
That's what I said the second the flag was flown "I don't care, give me 7!"
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #12
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

That's exactly the way I felt!! Who cares!! Take the 15 yd penalty and celebrate the hell out of a TD!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #13
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 925 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected

No Fun League and getting more UN-Entertaining with every game! Yes, I PAY to go and watch a football game. and be entertained, I do not approve of using any prop except the ball itself, but for Goodness sakes, a couple seconds of celebrating what we "GO to SEE" and players get PAID to do. . .(touchdowns) should NOT be a reason for penalties.
By the way, don't care at all about the bengals, but LOVE Chad Johnson for his take on his antics!
Old 12-10-2007   #14
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Only Chad Johnson can get away with celebrations now.

And it seems as if Green Bay & Denver are the only teams allowed to jump into the stands. Dont ask me why.
Chad gets penalized too. The celebration rule is going to have to be changed in the off-season. In the Denver game one of their players started "Making it snow" by throwing snow on the fans after his TD by throwing snow in the air. The fans loved it, everyone had a good time, but the officials called a 15 yard penalty. I am sure the rule will be changed or atleast clarified in the off-season.
Old 12-10-2007   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskillz View Post
Chad gets penalized too. The celebration rule is going to have to be changed in the off-season. In the Denver game one of their players started "Making it snow" by throwing snow on the fans after his TD by throwing snow in the air. The fans loved it, everyone had a good time, but the officials called a 15 yard penalty. I am sure the rule will be changed or atleast clarified in the off-season.
Yea that was Brandon Marshall.

I really dont care about TD celebrations.

I just dont like the guys that think the celebration is more important than the touchdown (Chad Johnson, TO...)
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #16
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
The thing is, that penalty set them up in great field position after the ensuing kickoff, allowing them to score a TD and keep it close. Unsportsmanlike celebrations are one thing, but this was obviously an unplanned, unrehearsed, straight from the heart, spur-of-the-moment exhibit of exhilaration. To be penalized for something like that really hurts the momentum of the game and takes away some enjoyment of the moment by the fans. Unsportsmanlike celebrations should ALWAYS be a judgment call on the officials' part based on the circumstances, not a requirement by the NFL.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read