Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-09-2007   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 80689 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My review of the game

First of all I finally got to a game. That was AMAZING. If you haven't been GO.

I'll be there Thursday by the way. If anyone has a spare seat at a tailgate party let me know. I still want to see how we do that.

Ok now on to the game.

It was the best game we've played since Indy. Last year. It was a pretty complete effort. I'll just grade positions I guess.

QB B
I know most will be calling for a higher grade but I can't do it. Sage had a fumble and a sack which both fell on him. He had two passes that should have been intercepted and missed ever deep throw he made. He did complete 27 of 36. When he was asked to throw the ball short he did that well and got rid of a few well. Most importantly, after a turnover or a TD he answered the call. I don't believe we had one 3 and out after a positive play by the Buc's which kept the momentium in our favor most of the game.

RB B
Dayne looked good until going down. He even made a few holes when I thought there weren't any. Walker wasn't that impressive to me running the ball but was an excellent safety valve for Sage out of the backfield. He isn't scary fast, but he has good hands and is kind of a slowly quick player. He seems to make moves when you wouldn't expect it. Etchi didn't really do much.

OL C-

The run blocking was ok in the first half. Once Pitts went down, even when he came back, it was much worse. Salam for all of his trying is showing either his age or his lack of ability recently. He got abused by a guy even we didn't want. They get blame for a fumble (Salam) and we had 3 false starts.

WR/TE B+
I didn't see any drops. At least no obivous ones. Walter really has some hands by the way. If OD is over his fumblitis he's back on his way to being an elite TE. Hey that guy AJ is pretty good by the way.

DL B+

I'll tell you a secret. Cochran is a good player. He is very active even down field. That Mario guy got some pressure and was close to 3 or 4 more sacks today. He had a few stops for a loss and kept contain at least 3 or 4 times when the runner getting to the outside would have left us relying on DR to get off the bench and tackle Grahm to come in and make a stop to save a TD. Okoye is quietly solid by the way. He is starting to hold up at the point of attack and as he gets his "man strength" over the next few years he will be pushing guards and centers into the backfield.

LB A-

I know that the Buc's don't bring an elite run offense into the building but the LB's did a pretty good job of swallowing up runners and in coverage. It was a pretty good turnaround from what I've watched most of the year. I still want to see changes on the outside but today's effort was the best I've seen all year.

DB's B

With the exception of the first drive in the 3rd Quarter our DBs played pretty well. Bennet is better in coverage than I thought as I paid special attention to him because the camera isn't always on him. He's faster than I thought and man he can lay the wood. Pretty impressive from the secondary if you ask me. We did get fortunate on 3 plays where our man was clearly beat as they over threw their receivers each time.

Special teams B

We had a TD or this would have been much lower. Turk had a few bad punts in the first half. We gave up a 40 something yard return and then stopped kicking deep giving them good field position every drive. I was walking up the stairs back to my seat as Davis took it back and boy was that exciting. The fans really needed a reason to get going in the 3rd Quarter and man that was it.

Coaching B+

Control the clock. Win the turnover battle. Win the game. We did a good job. The team was obviously well prepared with my only complaint being that defensively we seem to get out coached coming out of the locker room in the 3rd every game. I don't know if Smith is just reactive or not proactive enough but other than that drive the team came up big. We converted on 3rd downs and got them off of the field. Guess what folks. This was a solid win over a slightly above average team. But coming from where we've been. I'll take it.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #2
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My review of the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Coaching B+

Control the clock. Win the turnover battle. Win the game. We did a good job. The team was obviously well prepared with my only complaint being that defensively we seem to get out coached coming out of the locker room in the 3rd every game. I don't know if Smith is just reactive or not proactive enough but other than that drive the team came up big. We converted on 3rd downs and got them off of the field. Guess what folks. This was a solid win over a slightly above average team. But coming from where we've been. I'll take it.

Mike
Are turnovers really something that falls under the Coaching column? Just nitpicking, thanks for the point of view from the game and giving us some game analysis on some players that might not always get screen time (Cochran, bennet)
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #3
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Are turnovers really something that falls under the Coaching column? Just nitpicking, thanks for the point of view from the game and giving us some game analysis on some players that might not always get screen time (Cochran, bennet)
sometimes they do. calling pass plays when you know your lt is getting used can lead to turn overs. i know you cant just not pass but its up to the coaches to know when and when not to. i would say give both turn overs to the lt tackle with and assist to the play callers.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #4
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 80689 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the kinds of turnovers we have do. Sadly a lot of our turnovers this year are bad decisions. It falls on the players in the end of course but I think its preperation. Its running bad reps and showing players what to do when they get in trouble. The second fumble today for example. Get rid of it or go down. Some of that definately falls on coaching. Several of the INTs we've seen this year were a lack of disclipline. I think though its part of an attitude of the coach. I also think that Kubes will get it worked out. Well he will or he won't last long.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read