Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-09-2007   #1
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Darius Walker, today's performance?

Today against the Bucs, I thought he looked pretty darn good. Dayne, for all the criticism he gets, has been productive the last few games and when he went out I was very concerned. But Walker look pretty good.

I saw him miss a couple of blitz pick-ups but on those plays Sage did a good job of getting the ball out. I didn't see enough pass protection from him to draw a conclusion, but I plan to re-watch the game and that will be one aspect I check out.

He had a pretty nice burst through the hole, took some hard hits and showed and has decent hands on the couple of screen plays. All in all, nice showing by the rookie. Only more reps and time will tell, but as thin as we are at RB it was nice to see him do something positive with his opportunity today.

Anyone else notice some good things or weak areas of his game?
Old 12-09-2007   #2
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Darius Walker, today's performance?

He had 81 yards of total offense today and adds a new dimension to the offense that we really haven't had all year in terms of a receiving back. I'm looking forward to see him play some more.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #3
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, we all know we can't use the term "total offense" unless we're talking about Reggie Bush.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #4
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Walker was nice to watch but he's not much more than a 3rd down back. Running he was honestly less than impressive on most plays. There were two or three that he made nice cuts but other than that I wasn't that impressed. Catching the ball out of the backfield he was much more impressive.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #5
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully he does good on Thursday night. I think he has the potential to be somewhat like D. Davis.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #6
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Hopefully he does good on Thursday night. I think he has the potential to be somewhat like D. Davis.
Yeah it's ironic that he picked #37, sure did remind me of DD today.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #7
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post
Yeah it's ironic that he picked #37, sure did remind me of DD today.
Sadly, that does not excite me too much.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2007   #8
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Sadly, that does not excite me too much.
DD had some good games though. He just wasn't a feature back.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Today against the Bucs, I thought he looked pretty darn good. Dayne, for all the criticism he gets, has been productive the last few games and when he went out I was very concerned. But Walker look pretty good.

I saw him miss a couple of blitz pick-ups but on those plays Sage did a good job of getting the ball out. I didn't see enough pass protection from him to draw a conclusion, but I plan to re-watch the game and that will be one aspect I check out.

He had a pretty nice burst through the hole, took some hard hits and showed and has decent hands on the couple of screen plays. All in all, nice showing by the rookie. Only more reps and time will tell, but as thin as we are at RB it was nice to see him do something positive with his opportunity today.

Anyone else notice some good things or weak areas of his game?
He looked good coming out of the I-formation, as the commentators mentioned he had looked in the I at Notre Dame.

I did see that it appeared he is not quick or explosive when he starts upfield after a catch. It looks like a mini-Dayne whereby he kinda' pauses or needs a second to get started. But he looks different from Dayne in the idea that once he does get going, he has better balance and vision. Dayne kinda' starts wobbling (like a fullback does) if he tries to make cuts on the run, in full stride, but I think DW is a cross between Itchy and Dayne.
Old 12-09-2007   #10
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post
DD had some good games though. He just wasn't a feature back.
My biggest issue was that he was never a threat to take a ball to the endzone regardless of down and distance. Or a home-run hitter he was not.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #11
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

He seemed pretty quick to hitting the holes, though. Maybe that's cause I'm comparing him to Dayne...but I can't complain. Walker played a helluva lot better than Ahman Green played today.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #12
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
He seemed pretty quick to hitting the holes, though. Maybe that's cause I'm comparing him to Dayne...but I can't complain. Walker played a helluva lot better than Ahman Green played today.
He looked quick to me too, and I thought the same thing that my observation could be influenced by Dayne.
Old 12-10-2007   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

he looks like a good long term canidate to stay in some type of rotational role here with the Texans on the cheap. what I liked about his game was ball security, he doesn't look like the kind of back who turns the ball over & on this team thats very important. he also shows good vision, hands & determination, overall better total package than Vernand Morency
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #14
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I wouldn't mind seeing a RB rotation of Darius Walker, Chris Taylor, and stud RB acquired via FA or draft
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #15
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

I'm not convinced yet. Echemandu had one good game as well, better running the ball, and hasn't been heard from since. If Taylor comes back healthy, I'd still like to see us get a guy in the draft, and I'd be more inclined to keep Dayne than Walker. Dayne has shown he's capable of carrying the load for short stints; Walker hasn't yet.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #16
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing a RB rotation of Darius Walker, Chris Taylor, and stud RB acquired via FA or draft
And Dayne. He would be the starter, with those guys filling roles around him. He is still Mr. Dependable in our backfield.
Old 12-11-2007   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
he looks like a good long term canidate to stay in some type of rotational role here with the Texans on the cheap. what I liked about his game was ball security, he doesn't look like the kind of back who turns the ball over & on this team thats very important. he also shows good vision, hands & determination, overall better total package than Vernand Morency
Basically a poor man's Mike Hart.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #18
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

I look at it like this, Darius Walker gained yards on ALMOST every play he had the ball. He did not turn over the ball and made some plays when we needed him to. I think for him doing that he should be aloud to play in the Denver game to see what else he can do.
Old 12-11-2007   #19
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
And Dayne. He would be the starter, with those guys filling roles around him. He is still Mr. Dependable in our backfield.
If we got a running back like Michael Turner, Julius Jones, or a 1st round running back, Dayne wouldn't be necessary
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #20
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

I like him...does he answer our question at RB...no maybe he can prove himslef in the next few weeks.

But I think last game he showed that he can be a backup for a lot of teams and definitely a 3rd stringer.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read