Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-09-2007   #1
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Sage

If Sage could learn to stop throwing interceptions and fumbling the ball, he would be a good QB in this league. He shows alot of good things out there.

He just needs to take care of the ball better.

Good game guys!

I'm glad there is still some fight left in these Texans!
Old 12-09-2007   #2
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage

He looks great but he makes mistakes pretty consistantly. Today was the best game of his career, so I think you are going to see alot of "Start Sage" people around here. I see GP is already on the campaign trail.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #3
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
He looks great but he makes mistakes pretty consistantly. Today was the best game of his career, so I think you are going to see alot of "Start Sage" people around here. I see GP is already on the campaign trail.
I agree. What a joke. Schaub had games like this all season yet all I saw was "the guy bothers me with these costly fumbles and throws." Yet Sage does it and he "looks like a starter to me." People are just always complaining for something or being hypocrites.
Old 12-09-2007   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

it is amazing how much a QB that can read a cover 2 defense can look in a Texan offense (aka schaub and Sage) compared to the last few years
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #5
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am very thankful to have Sage.....as our back-up, he is very capable in that role and he is a GAMER. Make not mistake about it, Schaub is the QB 1 for a reason.

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 12-09-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I am very thankful to have Sage.....as our back-up, he is very capable in that role and he is a GAMER. Make not mistake about, Schaub is the QB 1 for a reason.

I agree. He is a pretty valuable guy to have, you know it. If trade offers come our way, as tempting as they may be, I don't think we should take them.

For one, we have nobody else who could fill his spot as our backup. Nobody that we'd be comfortable with anyway. We'd have to fill that spot if we got rid of Sage. Probably in the FA if not the draft; we just can't afford to be drafting a QB.

Two, I just feel comfortable with him AS A BACKUP. If he started every game of the season, I don't know how comfortable I would be. I trust him to come in and have a better chance when playing against other backups (McCown). I can say he is the best backup in the league, and if not the best he is in the top 3.

Three, we need to keep a guy in here who has been in this system for a long time as our backup. A guy like Nall has never played in OUR system. Maybe similiar systems, but not OUR system. Look at the Colts, they have had Sorgi as their backup for a couple years now, and he just signed an extension. It's important that your backup has a connection with the team, kind of like your starter does. You can see that Sage has that connection, his teamates were consistantly giving him props on his throws today.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Sage seems to hold on to the ball too much at times. He waits too long to make the throw. It seems like he's letting the play over-develop if that makes any sense at all.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2007   #8
austintexanite
All Pro

Sage and the rest of the offense stepped up, most notably the OL, to get a victory. I like Sage, but Schaub is our qb.
Old 12-09-2007   #9
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Rosenfels is 2-0 as the Texans starting QB. Today he completed 75% of his passes and threw for 3 TDs, 0 INT. He performed like a starting QB. Sage still makes mental errors too much, but he sure knows how to run this offense. He was converting on 3rd down very well, and did a good job not throwing any picks. For one of his fumbles the blame rests squarely on the O-line, but Sage does need to be more careful with the ball. Cant complain about what he has done in the starting role though, he is undefeated. Schaub better get heathy quick and get his butt back out on the field because if Sage wins these next couple games its going to be hard to justify taking him out.
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #10
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like both of our staring QB's I think they are different Sage loves the long pases and making plays while Schaub plays smarter usually
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #11
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

The defense had his back when he fumbled.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #12
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
He's better than Schaub. End of story.

Peanut Brittle has its place: As a snack. It shouldn't be a QB, and that's what Schaub is: Fragile and stiff.

Let's be sure to earmark this thread, mods. For all the talk about how "great" Matt Schaub is supposed to be, it's been just that: A lot of talk. He hasn't proven anything to me. He looked great in the opening game, then he looked OK vs. the Panthers, and it's been downhill from there. Dude is fragile. Oh, I forgot that he got all sorts of rest and had a great game vs. Saints...only to come back the next week and get drilled (again) and now he's out (again).

Meanwhile, Sage just comes in and somehow stays healthy/upright.

What does the guy have to do for you?

He's playing on a regular basis, which is more than you can say about the "Greatest starting QB to have really never played in more than 3 games or so this year."

Man, I am just tired of the constant drum beat of silliness about our QB situation. We tried to get a guy who looked good, but the only thing wrong is that he's hurt all the time. I mean, are you guys reallllllly of the belief that Matt Schaub is never going to get hit hard again from here on out? His hit-to-bench warmer ratio is OFF THE CHARTS.

And THAT'S the scariest stat of all, IMO.
Old 12-09-2007   #13
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
He's better than Schaub. End of story.

Peanut Brittle has its place: As a snack. It shouldn't be a QB, and that's what Schaub is: Fragile and stiff.

Let's be sure to earmark this thread, mods. For all the talk about how "great" Matt Schaub is supposed to be, it's been just that: A lot of talk. He hasn't proven anything to me. He looked great in the opening game, then he looked OK vs. the Panthers, and it's been downhill from there. Dude is fragile. Oh, I forgot that he got all sorts of rest and had a great game vs. Saints...only to come back the next week and get drilled (again) and now he's out (again).

Meanwhile, Sage just comes in and somehow stays healthy/upright.

What does the guy have to do for you?

He's playing on a regular basis, which is more than you can say about the "Greatest starting QB to have really never played in more than 3 games or so this year."

Man, I am just tired of the constant drum beat of silliness about our QB situation. We tried to get a guy who looked good, but the only thing wrong is that he's hurt all the time. I mean, are you guys reallllllly of the belief that Matt Schaub is never going to get hit hard again from here on out? His hit-to-bench warmer ratio is OFF THE CHARTS.

And THAT'S the scariest stat of all, IMO.
And for all that, you fail to remember that Sage has been given a chance to start in the NFL; and when that happens he implodes...plaind and simple. For as great as Sage's play was against Tennesse in the 1st game, we would have one the game if he had thrown just 1 less INT.

Sage is a back-up, most of the NFL knows this (but I keep forgettting that we have several posters who are smarted then the rest of the NFL) which is why he will likely not get another chance to be a starter for the rest of his career.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #14
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
And for all that, you fail to remember that Sage has been given a chance to start in the NFL; and when that happens he implodes...plain and and simple.
Plain and simply FALSE!!!! Sage Rosenfels has started a total of 4 games in his entire NFL career. He has a record of .500 as a starting QB, thats if you count the two losses he suffered playing for a crappy Dolphins team. With the Texans Sage is undefeated as a starter. He has not imploded, this is completely false. For comparison, Schaub's career record as a starting QB in the NFL is 4-9, Sage is 2-2.
Quote:
For as great as Sage's play was against Tennesse in the 1st game, we would have one the game if he had thrown just 1 less INT.
We would have won if the defense had stood up, or if any number of things happened differently. Sage put the team in position to win, that loss absolutely cannot be attributed to his play. We would have zero chance of winning that game without his heroics. And just to put things in perspective, so far this season Rosenfels has thrown 2 less INTs than Schuab yet he also managed to throw 2 more TDs than Schaub has.

Quote:
Sage is a back-up, most of the NFL knows this (but I keep forgettting that we have several posters who are smarted then the rest of the NFL) which is why he will likely not get another chance to be a starter for the rest of his career.
Fail.

Last edited by Mr PC; 12-09-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-09-2007   #15
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr PC View Post
Plain and simply FALSE!!!! Sage Rosenfels has started a total of 4 games in his entire NFL career. He has a record of .500 as a starting QB, thats if you count the two losses he suffered playing for a crappy Dolphins team. With the Texans Sage is undefeated as a starter. He has not imploded, this is completely false. For comparison, Schaub's career record as a starting QB in the NFL is 4-9, Sage is 2-2.

We would have won if the defense had stood up, or if any number of things happened differently. Sage put the team in position to win, that loss absolutely cannot be attributed to his play. We would have zero chance of winning that game without his heroics. And just to put things in perspective, so far this season Rosenfels has thrown 2 less INTs than Schuab yet he also managed to throw 2 more TDs than Schaub has.

Fail.
Sage? How are you? Congrats you played well today. Stop lobbying here for a starting job. You really need to take that up with the coaches.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #16
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Sage? How are you? Congrats you played well today. Stop lobbying here for a starting job. You really need to take that up with the coaches.

Mike
Wow very creative I have never heard somebody make a joke like that before. By the way I am not lobbying for Sage to get the starting job, Im lobbying for him to get respect. He deserves respect, he has earned it. If Schaub could stay healthy and step up I would be perfectly happy with Sage in the backup role, but that doesnt mean I think Sage cant start and play effectively for this team.
Old 12-09-2007   #17
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And if he was so great, why was the only job offer he recieved to be the back-up QB to one of the worst teams in the NFL?

Quote:
You cannot just forget that Sage threw 3 INTs that game, nor can you forget that he lost a fumble. If any of those 4 had not happened the Texans would have more then liekley won the game. I don't care what the rest of the team does, if a single player is responsible for 4 turnovers then it's fair game to say that he cost us the game; regardless of what he did otherwise. 4 TURNOVERS in a single game, how can you gloss over that?

Quote:
Fail.
Sorry, but no. AS for proof, see the fact that no NFL team signed him to be their start, nor did any contending team sign him to be their back-up.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #18
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
And if he was so great, why was the only job offer he recieved to be the back-up QB to one of the worst teams in the NFL?
Because his ability has never really been displayed on the field. The Texans got very lucky to land Sage. I dont know if that was the only job offer he recieved and neither do you unless you are his agent.

Quote:
You cannot just forget that Sage threw 3 INTs that game, nor can you forget that he lost a fumble. If any of those 4 had not happened the Texans would have more then liekley won the game. I don't care what the rest of the team does, if a single player is responsible for 4 turnovers then it's fair game to say that he cost us the game; regardless of what he did otherwise. 4 TURNOVERS in a single game, how can you gloss over that?
Sage had some bad turnovers in that game. The reason I can gloss over it is because his TD to turnover ratio was still decent. And because he led a heroic comback to give his team the lead with under a minute left to play. All the defense had to do was play the least bit of respectable D and the Texans would have won that game. Despite his mental errors, Sage put the team in position to win. Was he perfect? No. Did he put his team in position to win the game? You bet.

Quote:
Sorry, but no. AS for proof, see the fact that no NFL team signed him to be their start, nor did any contending team sign him to be their back-up.
and this the last refuge you have, but dont mistake it as any sort of proof regarding Sage's Qb ability. Just because another team didnt give him a starting job doesnt mean that he cant do it. Your question is if Sage is good enough to be a starter, how come he plays backup for the Texans? Because we got lucky, thats why.
Old 12-09-2007   #19
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow very creative I have never heard somebody make a joke like that before.

Then you should really start reading more posts.

By the way I am not lobbying for Sage to get the starting job, Im lobbying for him to get respect. He deserves respect, he has earned it. If Schaub could stay healthy and step up I would be perfectly happy with Sage in the backup role, but that doesnt mean I think Sage cant start and play effectively for this team.
I'm not trying to take respect away from him. I think he is one of those that does alot with the tools he has. I just don't think he's starting material. I have nothing against him I just try to be honest in my acessments of all of our players.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #20
sbalderrama

I like Sage, he played a good game today. But, the fumbles were both times when he knew the pocket was collapsing and didn't do the smart thing. He needs to fix that. There was at least one throw today that should have been intercepted, but wasn't, so the 0 int's today is a bit misleading.

What I've seen is two QB's that are nearly identical in capabilities so far, which is pretty handy if you are the texans.

I don't think it's fair to call Schaub fragile. Pretty sure every QB in the league would have had their shoulder dislocated by that hit. It's not like some minor "bruise" or something. Its a freaking dislocation caused by a guy takling high and driving the shoulder into the ground. Give the guy a break. Sage didn't take any hits like that today.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read