Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-09-2007   #21
austintexanite
All Pro

Default Re: Is the media is smarter than we think?

Hit or miss, they all thought the Aints were going to be a contender this year.
Old 12-09-2007   #22
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Sage is what he is. He's a good backup but not much more.
He has a 2-0 record as starting QB for the Texans, so Id say he is a bit more than just a good back up. He is a guy who has been proven effective as a starter in this offense.

Quote:
When we win you overlook the ill advised throws that he made (really only two for him today) and the fumble that was all on him (the second one). Schaub hasn't had the benefit of Johnson most of the time he's been in the game and our running game was pretty bad until the last 3 or 4 games. I'm not sure Schaub is the answer, I was to be honest expecting more but lets remember he's seeing his first action as the starter.
Sage made some mistakes, he is not perfect. But he completed 75% of his passes and threw for 3 TDs and no INT. Cant ask for much more than that.

Quote:
Sage is IMHO Cody Carlson. He doesn't have all of the physical tools but he has the leadership to rally the troops. He does however, turn the ball over too much. Don't forget that while he threw 4 TDs against the Titans, he turned the ball over 3 or 4 times to get us in the position to need the comeback in the first place.
What physical tools does Schaub have that Sage doesnt? As for turnovers, which QB do you think turns the ball over more? Here are the stats for this season:

Matt Schaub: 9 TD, 9 INT, has fumbled 7 times.
Sage Rosenfels: 11 TD, 7 INT, has fumbled 4 times.

I hear this a lot: Sage is a good back up but not a starter like Schaub. What exactly is this assesment based upon? Cant be on field performance, so what is it?
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #23
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr PC View Post
What physical tools does Schaub have that Sage doesnt? As for turnovers, which QB do you think turns the ball over more? Here are the stats for this season:

I hear this a lot: Sage is a good back up but not a starter like Schaub. What exactly is this assesment based upon? Cant be on field performance, so what is it?
I see your point in using these stats but they are incomplete without taking into account how many attempts per quarterback. Rosenfels has 159 attempts this year and Schaub has 289 attempts. Schaub has thrown 1.8 times as many passes. That's almost twice as many. Alot more dropbacks to look at with Schaub. I think it's fair to say that it is a important factor when comparing fumbles.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #24
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He has a 2-0 record as starting QB for the Texans, so Id say he is a bit more than just a good back up. He is a guy who has been proven effective as a starter in this offense.
this is ridiculous.. guys are manipulating stats

i bet schaub wishes he could play against the raiders and the garcia-less bucs.. esp when our D comes to play- im not going to badmouth sage or make it schaub v sage cos they're both texans that have done a good job for us but i think its obvious schaub is the guy we have to build around
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #25
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I love how nobody seems to remember that Sage was given a chance to be a starter in the NFL, and I love that how all the "Start Sage" bandwagoners fail to remember just how bad Sage looked when he was a starter.

Sage may very well be one of the best back-ups in the NFL, but looking over his career that is all he is. With Schaub's inabaility to stay healthy this year, Sage could very well be the Texans MVP, but as the named starter of Schaub, sorry but no. Let us not forget that Schaub, going by number of starts, is still pretty much a rookie QB (I don't believe there is any subsitution of regular season game time in the NFL, no mater how long you ride the bench / practice no of it maters till you get in a game).
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #26
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I love how nobody seems to remember that Sage was given a chance to be a starter in the NFL, and I love that how all the "Start Sage" bandwagoners fail to remember just how bad Sage looked when he was a starter.
Sage started 2 games for the Dolphins. He lost both games. Schaub started 2 games for the Falcons, he also lost both games. These are the only starts either QB has had, outside of this season for the Texans. So your comparison completely fails because Sage and Schaub had the exact same record as starting QBs in the NFL before this season started.
Old 12-09-2007   #27
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sage started 2 games for the Dolphins. He lost both games. Schaub started 2 games for the Falcons, he also lost both games. These are the only starts either QB has had, outside of this season for the Texans. So your comparison completely fails because Sage and Schaub had the exact same record as starting QBs in the NFL before this season started.
You can't just go by record here. By your logic, Vince Young has been a great QB for the Titans as he as a winning record as a starting QB.
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2007   #28
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sage made some mistakes, he is not perfect. But he completed 75% of his passes and threw for 3 TDs and no INT. Cant ask for much more than that.

Give me a break. Sage has has Andre in half of his starts. Matt hasn't. Sage is in his 2nd year in this offense. Matt isn't. Sage has beaten a slightly above average team without their starter and oakland. Most of Sage's play is against teams that prepare for Schaub not Sage.

If you really want to break down numbers we can but the bottom line is Sage had the BEST GAME of his career today. Fortunately the Bucs dropped 2 INTs today or we'd be talking about how Sage looked good except for his untimely poor decisions with the ball.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #29
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Sage may very well be one of the best back-ups in the NFL, but looking over his career that is all he is. With Schaub's inabaility to stay healthy this year, Sage could very well be the Texans MVP, but as the named starter of Schaub, sorry but no. Let us not forget that Schaub, going by number of starts, is still pretty much a rookie QB (I don't believe there is any subsitution of regular season game time in the NFL, no mater how long you ride the bench / practice no of it maters till you get in a game).
Shhh.

Why let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

Mike

Old 12-09-2007   #30
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
You can't just go by record here. By your logic, Vince Young has been a great QB for the Titans as he as a winning record as a starting QB.
I think my point is that you cant judge a quarterback based on 2 games, which is what people seem to be doing. In his entire career Sage has only lost 2 games as a starting QB and that was years ago when he was playing for a crappy Dolphins team. This should not be interpreted as proof that he is incapable of playing well as a starer, especially when you consider how he has played for this organization, Im talking about in last year's preseason, last regular season, this year's preason, and this year's regular season. Sage has been money for us ever since he got here. I know he's got some flaws but the kid can play and is productive in this offense.
Old 12-09-2007   #31
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
I think my point is that you cant judge a quarterback based on 2 games, which is what people seem to be doing. In his entire career Sage has only lost 2 games as a starting QB and that was years ago when he was playing for a crappy Dolphins team. This should not be interpreted as proof that he is incapable of playing well as a starer, especially when you consider how he has played for this organization, Im talking about in last year's preseason, last regular season, this year's preason, and this year's regular season. Sage has been money for us ever since he got here. I know he's got some flaws but the kid can play and is productive in this offense.

He couldn't beat out JAY FIEDLER!!!!

Mike

Old 12-09-2007   #32
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
My argument isn't that he can't play well as a starter but that Schaub is a better QB for the present and the future.
Old 12-09-2007   #33
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
He couldn't beat out JAY FIEDLER!!!!

Mike
He couldnt beat out David Carr either. But was that his fault or the coaches fault? Sage looked better in preseason than Carr did, and he also looked better in the regular season than Carr. Still the coaching staff stood by David. I dont consider that any sort of comment on Sage's ability.
Old 12-09-2007   #34
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He couldnt beat out David Carr either. But was that his fault or the coaches fault? Sage looked better in preseason than Carr did, and he also looked better in the regular season than Carr. Still the coaching staff stood by David. I dont consider that any sort of comment on Sage's ability.
Pretty sure that loyalty shown to Carr was Kubiak proving to McNair that Carr wasn't going to be successful no matter who he had coaching. Showing McNair Carr's inability to work in Kubiak's system was key to our getting rid of one of the biggest problems the Texans ever had.
Old 12-09-2007   #35
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think there is difference in those situations that in the case in Miami there was truly an open ocmpetition between Jay and Sage, while here in Houston we all know that David was going to be the guy that year.
Old 12-09-2007   #36
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

word.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #37
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think there is difference in those situations that in the case in Miami there was truly an open ocmpetition between Jay and Sage, while here in Houston we all know that David was going to be the guy that year.
Still, you are basically suggesting that because the Miami Dolphins made on opinion about Sage's ability we should just blindly accept it. Sage is a much better QB than anybody in Miami right now if you ask me. So its pretty clear that they messed up. The Dolphins dont know how to evaluate QB talent, the last good QB that francise had was 25 years ago when they drafted Marino. They passed on Brees and Brady Quinn and God knows how many other players. Why the heck would you even bother to consider their assessment regarding our QB?
Old 12-09-2007   #38
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Still, you are basically suggesting that because the Miami Dolphins made on opinion about Sage's ability we should just blindly accept it. Sage is a much better QB than anybody in Miami right now if you ask me. So its pretty clear that they messed up. The Dolphins dont know how to evaluate QB talent, the last good QB that francise had was 25 years ago when they drafted Marino. They passed on Brees and Brady Quinn and God knows how many other players. Why the heck would you even bother to consider their assessment regarding our QB?
Beck is better then Sage, and he's a rookie. Passing on a QB with an injured throwing shoulder...sorry I'm not going to hold that against anybody. I agree that Sage is better then Brady Quinn, but that's because I think Quinn is one of the most overrated QBS to enter the NFL since Eli Manning; and I think both of those guys will always suck.

It was not just the Dolphins who psssed on Sage as a starter or even a backup. There were several jobs open that offseason, sage got none; in fact the only job he got was as back-up for the worst team in the NFL.
Old 12-09-2007   #39
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Beck is better then Sage, and he's a rookie. Passing on a QB with an injured throwing shoulder...sorry I'm not going to hold that against anybody. I agree that Sage is better then Brady Quinn, but that's because I think Quinn is one of the most overrated QBS to enter the NFL since Eli Manning; and I think both of those guys will always suck.

It was not just the Dolphins who psssed on Sage as a starter or even a backup. There were several jobs open that offseason, sage got none; in fact the only job he got was as back-up for the worst team in the NFL.
Taking a job as a backup behind David Carr was a smart move for Sage. Most of us knew by that point that Carr's days were numbered as the starter in Houston. Sage came to a team with a system that he can flourish under. Look at what he has done with the Texans team ever since he got here, the man has been good. Just because another team didnt sign him does not mean he cant play. This is a straw man arguement.

And the Dolphins suck at evaluating QBs. A quarter of a century ago they drafted a great QB, although Im sure nobody with the organization is still remaining from 1983. The Dolphins QB situation is a mess, I would never take QB advice from that team. You want to do that go ahead, I prefer to judge Texan players based on how they play for the Houston Texans.
Old 12-09-2007   #40
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51302 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

lol, how ironic was it to post this on the day that MW goes off for his 6th sack in 5 games, while VY loses and Bush doesnt do squat...again

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read